Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 11:08 AM

116 posts, read 137,258 times

Advertisements

I'm from a big east coast city and when I travel around back up north a lot of people ask me what it's like to live in Florida. Especially black folks. I'm going to be straight up, if*your Black American I suggest you shouldn't consider moving to Orlando or Central Florida for that matter. Especially if your under 30. Here's why:

1- Job market is dismal and shrinking.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/petesau...mpression=true

Florida has some the lowest wages in America

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/...ew-study-finds

https://www.tampabay.com/news/busine...-on-_170984118

Everything else I say from this point is going to be based on my experience of living in Orlando for over half a decade as well as living in other parts of Central Florida for roughly another half-decade.

2- Orlando is relatively devoid of culture. Is mainly a tourist town it's a lot of attractions here that are mostly for the out-of-towners that come to see the mouse and go to the other not so amusing amusement parks. People talk about Eatonville but in reality it isn't much Black Culture here.

3- Job discrimination is opening in your face. It's not challenged or frowned upon. In FAQ one of the reasons why I specify black American it's because you rarely see any black Americans working in a lot of places here. You may come across some Caribbean black people but few American descendants of slaves.

4- The racism here is on the Jim Crow level in a lot of places. Especially North and South of Orange County.* Farther north you go to deeper in the South you are.

5- Lunatics abound in Florida. Just Google it . Florida tends to attract a lot of the dregs of society for whatever reason. Pedophiles and weirdos seem to have made a homestead here. Beastality and other ungodly practices seem to be common.

6- There is a good amount of tension between the non-white ethnic groups have. By some accounts is not as bad as they say Miami but it is very noticeable. There are many Puerto Ricans here. Some from the lsland of Puerto Rico some from the NY area. The ones that live in Orlando area or unlike some of the ones you will meet up north. They seem to really not like black people. So if your get on the* job with them don't* be surprised if they are scamming to get you fired. And if you go to the register at the gas station to pump gas they may throw your change back in your face. Some of them can pass for Black as well so they're prejudiced might confuse you.

There are also some South Americans here to they're not much different then Puerto Ricans from the islands. You also be surprised who considers themselves white here. It might be somebody that looks just like you but is classified as white. You'll find these Dynamics very peculiar yet interesting

Some of the West Indies live in in Orlando have a superiority complex or or just generally ignorant about Black American descendants of slaves culture and history. Among the West Indians hear the Haitians are the most look down upon and seem to be treated even worse then black Americans. However there still some division between there too.

7- While I don't have children I will say that the educational system he doesn't seem to be* good at all. And I'm just looking at the people who produces in this state. As I write this* post the state is considering putting in the teachers hands guns at schools here. How somebody thought that was a good idea I don't know.

I'm pretty sure this will generate a lot of discussion. I don't know how many people that visit this forum are actually black American descendants of slaves but if you considering moving to Orlando or Central Florida from another location these are a few things to consider.

Old 05-10-2019, 11:21 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,429,361 times
Then why are you there?

Old 05-10-2019, 11:22 AM

20 posts, read 19,698 times
most of your bullet points have nothing to do with race

Old 05-10-2019, 11:22 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,326,350 times
I'm just speculating here, but the job market could be bad for you due to your lack of proficiency in the English language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWSWJ View Post
If your (you're) Black Americans (American) Avoid moving to Orlando
Quote:
Is (It is) mainly a tourist town (run on sentence) it's a lot of attractions here that are mostly for the out-of-towners that come to see the mouse and go to the other not so amusing amusement parks.
Quote:
Job discrimination is opening in your face. (I don't even know what to say about this: opening?!?)
Quote:
In FAQ (fact) (FAQ is an acronym for Frequently Asked Questions) one of the reasons why I specify black American it's because you rarely see any black Americans working in a lot of places here.
These are just examples of the first few things I noticed. You don't say what types of job you have applied for or are applying for, but if you're applying for clerical or administrative jobs employers expect a certain level of proficiency with the English language.

Quote:
While I don't have children I will say that the educational system he doesn't seem to be* good at all.
Apparently, it wasn't all that great where you come from either.

Good luck to you in whatever you decide to do. I'm sure Florida will mourn the loss of such an incredible citizen should you ever decide to move.

Old 05-10-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
I'm just speculating here, but the job market could be bad for you due to your lack of proficiency in the English language.

These are just examples of the first few things I noticed. You don't say what types of job you have applied for are applying for, but if you're applying for clerical or administrative jobs employers expect a certain level of proficiency with the English language.

Apparently, it wasn't all that great where you come from either.

Good luck to you in whatever you decide to do. I'm sure Florida will mourn the loss of such an incredible citizen should you ever decide to move.

Ain't that serious. I was speaking into the text editor as opposed to writing in it. Got a lot of stuff to do today so I didn't have a whole lot of time to do a spell check. I guess this speech editor doesn't like my Brooklyn accent lol. I don't live in Orlando anymore I just get this question a lot.

Old 05-10-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStation46 View Post
Then why are you there?
Left a while back. This is just a head's up.

Old 05-10-2019, 11:28 AM

20 posts, read 19,698 times
Quote:
Ain't that serious. I was speaking into the text editor as opposed to writing in it. Got a lot of stuff to do today so I didn't have a whole lot of time to do a spell check. I don't live in Orlando anymore I just get this question a lot.

you have a lot of stuff to do today yet youve found time to come on a city forum of a city that you no longer live in and complain

Old 05-10-2019, 11:29 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,326,350 times
Quote:
Ain't that serious. I was speaking into the text editor as opposed to writing in it. Got a lot of stuff to do today so I didn't have a whole lot of time to do a spell check. I don't live in Orlando anymore I just get this question a lot.
Don't hold us all in suspense. What type of jobs did you do while there that you were confronted with this blunt racism in hiring practices? Inquiring minds want to know.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure this will generate a lot of discussion. I don't know how many people that visit this forum are actually black American descendants of slaves but if you considering moving to Orlando or Central Florida from another location these are a few things to consider.
In bold is the real reason these type of posts are made. This generation loves their 15 minutes. Pathetic as they may be.

Old 05-10-2019, 11:34 AM

18,429 posts, read 8,258,982 times
dunno...but maybe it's time to let go of this black culture descended from slaves thing...and join the rest of us

Old 05-10-2019, 11:42 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,429,361 times
Time to shut this thread down
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando