Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2020, 12:24 PM

17,150 posts, read 15,366,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyp22 View Post
And I'm thinking of retiring there! Maybe I shouldn't have passed on that house in the Belmore (sp?) community in Windermere. But the house layout wasn't really what I was looking for, and it had zero backyard to speak of. But it was smack in the middle of convenience alley.
Well, my uncle is an old Caribbean man retired from NYC police, and he moved to the area in retirement and has loved every second of it. You might like it as a retiree. For me, as an active young adult with equally-active kids, I find there are much better options in other areas -- for me. Different situations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2020, 12:26 PM

648 posts, read 517,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Well, my uncle is an old Caribbean man retired from NYC police, and he moved to the area in retirement and has loved every second of it. You might like it as a retiree. For me, as an active young adult with equally-active kids, I find there are much better options in other areas -- for me. Different situations.
Got it. But still, an occasional trip to the beach, or to Winter Park, or to Orlando proper I think would feel more like an "event" than a casual drive.

Old 01-29-2020, 05:17 AM

27,188 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Quote:
If Sorrento changes and becomes another, say, Lake Nona, it will completely lose what makes it Sorrento in the first place.
Bringing in huge commercial retailers will kick out the small local ones. There would be no more Hometown Market (IGA,) small mower repair shop on the corner, Mexicans would get displaced in a heartbeat, which would eliminate the Mexican Carniceria, restaurants, etc.

It hasn't changed much since I moved to Florida 16 years ago, and I doubt it will see much change within the next 100 years. It also isn't really what most would consider prime location: Not only is it far, it's far in the opposite direction from any point of interests (coasts, major highways, major urban centers) and the soil is bad, so even farming can be a challenge, unless raising cattle. There simply isn't much demand
I think you're under estimating what a new thoroughfare (the Wekiva Parkway) can and will do in terms of development dollars. Although not specifically in Sorrento versus Mount Plymouth, the completion of the Wekiva Parkway with a designated exit coupled with the SR46 expansion will open up the area for housing development and the demand for varying businesses as well. It's the typical Central Florida example for sprawl development that has proven itself time and again.

Old 01-29-2020, 05:50 AM
aax

710 posts, read 497,512 times
It is small town America. Not Orlando where people run you off the road while sending a text and then stop to rob you.

Old 01-29-2020, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I think you're under estimating what a new thoroughfare (the Wekiva Parkway) can and will do in terms of development dollars. Although not specifically in Sorrento versus Mount Plymouth, the completion of the Wekiva Parkway with a designated exit coupled with the SR46 expansion will open up the area for housing development and the demand for varying businesses as well. It's the typical Central Florida example for sprawl development that has proven itself time and again.
Is there any info on when this interchange will be complete?

Old 01-29-2020, 06:13 AM

611 posts, read 1,455,833 times
Hi!
Life long on and off Lake County resident here! Growing up bi-racial in Eustis/Mt Dora was a nightmare. I ONLY came back here because of my grandmother & I'm moving away this summer! My husband is Dominican & he hates it here. His 15 yo daughter hates it. My 18 yo hates it. We end up driving to Orlando at least once a week for something or other. If you can afford elsewhere I wouldn't ever consider this area. Maybe a nice quiet pocket of windermere or winter park??

Sorrento specifically:

Does have a small community of undesirables (rural drug addicts)
WILL be growing ALOT due to the expansion of the 429, there are 140 ush houses slated to be built sometime in the future near Round Lake Elementary.

Old 01-29-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duttygal86 View Post
Does have a small community of undesirables (rural drug addicts)
WILL be growing ALOT due to the expansion of the 429, there are 140 ush houses slated to be built sometime in the future near Round Lake Elementary.
Hmm. Meth labs and such? Is this centered around a particular area?

Old 01-29-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyp22 View Post
Hmm. Meth labs and such? Is this centered around a particular area?
Along SR 46 between 46 and Wolf Branch, from around Orange onward.

Old 01-29-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Right... Some parts. But for the most part, development along the WP will remain limited, as there are some very strict zoning laws in place (one house per 10 acres in a lot of areas) and changing this is not up to the community, but the state, due to the Wekiva Reserve. I’ve looked into buying 5 acres from my uncles lot and decided against it, because I wouldn’t be able to put a building on it. There’s only so much they can do.

Old 01-29-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Along SR 46 between 46 and Wolf Branch, from around Orange onward.

Gaa! From Orange "out" to Mount Dora, or "out" to 437? Regardless, that's right around where those nice neighborhoods are! (on the North side of WB Road)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando