Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2021, 11:42 PM

9 posts, read 10,207 times

Advertisements

I was looking on Zillow as I'm currently house hunting and there just aren't many houses posted... the ones that are listed are crazy expensive for what it offered.

Anyone have recommendations on areas to look into? I like to be near the following areas - downtown, winter park, MCO. I'm tired of renting and throwing money down the drain at this point. My price range is around 400-500k. Would love a place that's safe/decently sized (~1600 sq ft. and up), and newish/updated.

Thank you everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2021, 08:54 AM

2,941 posts, read 4,133,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloop123 View Post
I was looking on Zillow as I'm currently house hunting and there just aren't many houses posted... the ones that are listed are crazy expensive for what it offered.

Anyone have recommendations on areas to look into? I like to be near the following areas - downtown, winter park, MCO. I'm tired of renting and throwing money down the drain at this point. My price range is around 400-500k. Would love a place that's safe/decently sized (~1600 sq ft. and up), and newish/updated.

Thank you everyone!
I'm looking on realtor(dot)com (which is more accurate and up to date than what you're using) and see dozens of listing in your price range at the size you're looking for. This is all between Semoran, Orange, and Sand Lake.

It's a hot market and you're looking in a hot part of the metro. Maybe focus more on the lower end of your range and do the work to make it the house you want. Personally, I've never been interested in paying top dollar for someone else's tastes. I'm eventually going to pay to redo it anyway.

Old 08-20-2021, 09:24 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,018,252 times
Quote:

Thank you everyone!
Your issue is you want to be in the hot neighborhoods with a turn-key house below market value. Either assess budget or reassess location. Locations like SE Orlando/East Lake https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...65,14&qdm=true or Horizon West https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...48,14&qdm=true are going to be your best bet. Otherwise look for fixers 100K or more below budget in one of your more desired neighborhoods around downtown or Winter Park and plan on having the work done to your tastes, and more importantly building a solid chunk of equity.

Old 08-20-2021, 11:45 AM

23,346 posts, read 18,916,990 times
"Decently priced" is a matter of opinion.

Sounds as if someone's expectations need adjustment.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-20-2021 at 11:55 AM..

Old 08-20-2021, 02:45 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,515,932 times
It’s a super hot market and prices reflect that. You can find a house at that price point around downtown easily, but it may not be newer (as most homes around here aren’t) and might need some updates. There’s a large home by me in Lake Eola Heights for $475k but it’ll need some updates.

Old 08-20-2021, 03:22 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,515,932 times
Here’s a new home near downtown/Conway:
2508 Homeland St, Orlando
$475,000 · 3beds · 2baths

https://apps.realtor.com/mUAZ/c72c37a7

Old 08-20-2021, 03:47 PM

24,410 posts, read 27,001,341 times
Quote:

Thank you everyone!

Home prices are going up everywhere pretty much. Bidding wars are common as well as going over the asking price. I like searching on redfin.com the most. If you are feeling depressed, look at what $400-500k buys you in Los Angeles.

Old 08-20-2021, 04:59 PM

12,174 posts, read 8,046,859 times
I see tons of homes in the St. Cloud and Lake Nona area sub 500k.

Old 08-20-2021, 05:49 PM

17,257 posts, read 15,446,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Your issue is you want to be in the hot neighborhoods with a turn-key house below market value. Either assess budget or reassess location. Locations like SE Orlando/East Lake https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...65,14&qdm=true or Horizon West https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...48,14&qdm=true are going to be your best bet. Otherwise look for fixers 100K or more below budget in one of your more desired neighborhoods around downtown or Winter Park and plan on having the work done to your tastes, and more importantly building a solid chunk of equity.
Exactly this. A lot of those older homes in places like Audubon Park and Colonialtown are selling for quite cheap. But they are old, and you'll probably want to remodel. Buy them cheap, invest a good $100k in remodel, and you'll have yourself a solid $500k home.

Old 08-21-2021, 12:50 PM

210 posts, read 272,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Exactly this. A lot of those older homes in places like Audubon Park and Colonialtown are selling for quite cheap. But they are old, and you'll probably want to remodel. Buy them cheap, invest a good $100k in remodel, and you'll have yourself a solid $500k home.
That is what I would do. You can change floor, cabinets, fixtures but you are stuck with a location. And places out in the 'burbs and cookie cutter communities that look affordable will be the first to take a hit during a market adjustment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando