Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 08:13 PM

857 posts, read 2,217,147 times

Advertisements

Not sure if anyone goes to Seaworld but go see Blackfish.It will make you HATE this place.How sad for the captives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 08:41 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Ive been saying that those whales should not be held in captivity. The Blackfish piece only reinforced my feelings on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbara View Post
Not sure if anyone goes to Seaworld but go see Blackfish.It will make you HATE this place.How sad for the captives.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:00 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,054,033 times
Won't stop me from going.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:14 AM

189 posts, read 520,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbara View Post
Sadly, I have to agree. Blackfish provides powerful info. I only pray other 'captives' in other theme park settings are faring better? They seem to be.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:37 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
None of us need to be marine biologists to know that an sociable intelligent animal that swims freely, nearly a hundred miles a day, should be confined to a small cement pool. It's just not natural. We cancelled our yearly passes a few years back, my sister made us out of principal. Maybe we can just get back to the Seaquariums that are actually on the oceans where the whales and marine life can swim in freely. I know that still presents the problem of artificially altering their behavior with food and human contact, but other than that our only option is to go whale watching or animal planet.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:06 AM

1,284 posts, read 3,896,858 times
I have annual passes to every theme park in Florida including Sea World and I would never give these passes up for nothing because I love them,I however have never been a fan of the Shamu show.I've always found it pretty boring and only see it in maybe 1 out of 10 visits.I do like the dolphin show though.I saw Blackfish and I love theme parks but overall I would lean to the side of not keeping killer whales in captivity.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:48 AM

857 posts, read 2,217,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
None of us need to be marine biologists to know that an sociable intelligent animal that swims freely, nearly a hundred miles a day, should be confined to a small cement pool. It's just not natural. We cancelled our yearly passes a few years back, my sister made us out of principal. Maybe we can just get back to the Seaquariums that are actually on the oceans where the whales and marine life can swim in freely. I know that still presents the problem of artificially altering their behavior with food and human contact, but other than that our only option is to go whale watching or animal planet.

Good for you and those that think like you do.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:56 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
pretty intense show... specially part where they fished the baby wales out from their family - BRRR-

Old 11-01-2013, 07:57 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,947,113 times
I have friends that work at Sea World who are not big fans of their jobs, but even they said Blackfish was a one-sided stretch. I do agree that it's a shame we keep those kinds of animals in captivity, but really the only whale we're having problems with is Tilikum. Perhaps they could ban catching any new orcas from here on out and take great care of the ones in captivity that would not survive if they were set free. And one has to ask, if keeping a killer whale is wrong, then isn't it the same with elephants, lions, or other animals?

Old 11-01-2013, 08:16 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
The way zoos keep other animals has changed over the years. For the most part, animals are no longer caged but are provided with large environments to live as naturally as possible. The Orca's who in the wild travel hundreds of miles on their journeys are confined to small pools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
I have friends that work at Sea World who are not big fans of their jobs, but even they said Blackfish was a one-sided stretch. I do agree that it's a shame we keep those kinds of animals in captivity, but really the only whale we're having problems with is Tilikum. Perhaps they could ban catching any new orcas from here on out and take great care of the ones in captivity that would not survive if they were set free. And one has to ask, if keeping a killer whale is wrong, then isn't it the same with elephants, lions, or other animals?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando