Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2022, 05:54 PM
hts

762 posts, read 2,162,714 times

Advertisements

Why do you assume home prices will be lower in 2024 again?

Are you predicting some sort of housing bubble?

In any event, we're also recent empty-nesters and just purchased in Sunbridge (it's in St. Cloud a little south and east of Lake Nona, and being done by the same developer--Tavistock). We're actually in a gated, 55+ community, but there will be other non-age restricted neighborhoods in this community as it's part of a very large (probably 20 year) master plan that's only just now getting started.

We're probably closer to 35 mins to the parks (pretty straight shot via the toll roads), which is close enough for us to pop over for dinner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2022, 08:35 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,943,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hem207 View Post
I've been told about the June Bugs but have been in FL enough that I have not encountered the fire ants or scorpions. Geckos, yep. And I always get mosquito bites no matter where I am; my husband does not so I'm used to it! He'd love to see a 'gator while paddle boarding (as long as they don't bother him) so I'm glad to see you said they leave you alone. My friends have seen Palmetto "bugs", albeit rarely, inside their homes but said they do have an exterminator come every month. I guess that helps?

My favorite place for kayaking and paddle boarding is from King's Landing. It's only 30 minutes from Orlando and just really nice. If you go left, you'll likely be able to see turtles and some alligators basking on logs. If you go right, you'll go up crystal clear almost Caribbean looking water that's safe for swimming or snorkeling at any point of the way. Kelly Park is also nice if you want strictly swimming or tubing.

And yep, you'll want a pest control plan here. The first time they come out and do the inside and outside and then every other month they do the outside only. It runs about $30 per month if averaged out over a year.

Old 04-01-2022, 12:07 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,747,070 times
I enjoyed living in and around Orlando for ten years except for the reasons I mentioned; too many bugs, too many really hot days, summer lightening storms, rising crime rate. I liked going to the beach, having my own home and pool, walking around Disney/Epcot, biking and playing tennis early in the morning, and going to the hotels for happy hour buffet and drinks, and sitting around their pools.

Old 04-01-2022, 12:11 PM

17,154 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
I enjoyed living in and around Orlando for ten years except for the reasons I mentioned; too many bugs, too many really hot days, summer lightening storms, rising crime rate. I liked going to the beach, having my own home and pool, walking around Disney/Epcot, biking and playing tennis early in the morning, and going to the hotels for happy hour buffet and drinks, and sitting around their pools.
Where in Orlando did you live…? Disney is an afterthought to most locals, so I’m surprised at the mention of going there (or hotels) for walks…

Old 04-01-2022, 01:09 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,747,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Where in Orlando did you live…? Disney is an afterthought to most locals, so I’m surprised at the mention of going there (or hotels) for walks…
All over, lol. I lived and worked near the Florida Mall (if it's still called that), lived up in Rosemont, Altamont Springs, and Volusia County while working in Orlando. Going to Disney/Epcot with the locals discount pass to walk for exercise was the best! Walking at Epcot, stopping for drinks at the outdoor restaurants, access to bathrooms, shopping etc. hanging around the beautiful hotels on and off Disney property, etc. what could be better than that? I walked on the beaches also, at New Smyrna and Daytona. On the summer weekends I used to rent a hotel room in Daytona for $25.00 a night and walk on the beach and ride my bike there. I still miss the European Cafe restaurant in Ormond Beach, the food was delicious.

You brought back all the memories of the good things I experienced in Orlando.

Old 04-05-2022, 03:42 PM

6 posts, read 11,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I spend more time outdoors during the summer than in winter. I also don't have a screen-in lanai, but spend a lot of time reading books on my lounge chair by the pool. I'm not sure where you live, but something doesn't add up here. I have no idea what a June bug is, never seen one. I get more mosquito bites when I lived in San Francisco. I don't see fire ants because I have my lawn treated every other month. I've never seen a scorpion. I once in awhile see a Black Racer (harmless cute snake), but then again I have a pet Ball Python. I do see Palmetto Bugs occasionally (look like cockroaches, but they are harmless). I love seeing gators when I paddle board, they are chill 99% of the time as long as you don't try feeding them. Geckos are adorable and my dogs love hunting them. Orlando's crime is pretty concentrated to specific neighborhoods, so unless you can only afford to live in Pine Hills for example, I feel very safe here. I've lived overseas as well as in California, Alaska, Washington.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
I’d recommend looking at the neighborhoods around downtown (and downtown itself, if interested in a condo): Lake Eola Heights, Thornton Park, Lawsona/Fern Creek, Milk District, Mills50/Colonialtown, Ivanhoe Village, College Park, Audubon Park, SoDo/Delaney Park. These are some of the only truly walkable neighborhoods in Orlando (zip codes 32801, 32803, 32804 and 32806). I’m in the Lawsona/Fern Creek and Milk District area, super walkable with lots of great restaurants, bars, breweries, and shops around, yet I can get to Disney property in 20 minutes without traffic (though I do tend to go pretty fast on I-4
Thank you! And thanks for providing zip codes.

Old 04-05-2022, 08:48 PM

8 posts, read 18,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hem207 View Post
We are looking to buy a second home in the Orlando area in 2024, after housing prices go down and our last child graduates college. We are looking for a neighborhood that is walkable, near water for paddle-boarding and I'd love for the house/condo to have a water view and or private pool. We do not need a community with top rated schools, just something we will feel safe in, is not far from restaurants, Disney, MCO and regular shopping places like grocery and other stores. I've been to Dr. Phillips and that's too pricey (but very nice)! I've also been out to the Stoneybrook area but would rather be closer to the city/Disney. I've looked at posts on this site but they seem to skew towards people with families which, in turn, guides them to top-rated schools.

On my list to consider now (after perusing this site and questioning friends in the areas I mentioned above): Lake Mary, Windermere, Winter Springs, Lake Nona, Horizon West area...a I leaving any other places out?

While 2024 seems a long way away, I research the heck out of things and would also like to go visit some of these areas when I'm down in Orlando again to get a "feel" for them.

Thanks!

I am not sure what makes you think that housing prices are going down anytime soon. The problem is demographics. Even with mortgage rates heading up, there are tons and tons of people from other parts of the country (baby boomers) with plenty of cash and that supply of people is not going to run out anytime soon ... and is going to continue to drive demand for housing in Florida. I personally don't see them going down ... although I can see the rate of increase slowing down and possibly leveling off.

I can't speak for the schools, but I've spent a little spent time in Lake Nona and really liked it. It borders on St. Cloud, but even St. Cloud is getting expensive.

Good luck!

Old 04-05-2022, 09:48 PM

17,154 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofla View Post
I am not sure what makes you think that housing prices are going down anytime soon. The problem is demographics. Even with mortgage rates heading up, there are tons and tons of people from other parts of the country (baby boomers) with plenty of cash and that supply of people is not going to run out anytime soon ... and is going to continue to drive demand for housing in Florida. I personally don't see them going down ... although I can see the rate of increase slowing down and possibly leveling off.

I can't speak for the schools, but I've spent a little spent time in Lake Nona and really liked it. It borders on St. Cloud, but even St. Cloud is getting expensive.

Good luck!
Most studies do suggest that a drop will occur in the near future. To what extent, who knows. But a drop is inevitable.
a 3/2 where I live, built 20 years ago, goes for almost $600k. That is not sustainable. I do not live in a big city. At some point, it drops. And, I hope the studies are right, and that it will.

I am currently renting... My rent [only] went up $70 this lease renewal period. I live in a very high-demand area. Had the lease expired 6 months ago, from what I was seeing around, it would have gone up several hundreds.

I am hoping this is a trend that will go across the board, as I am looking to buy again soon myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando