Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 11:42 AM

1,683 posts, read 8,212,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelprincss View Post
My friend & I are trying to figure out how people just wake up one day & say I'm relocating. I've heard people say they took their last paycheck & go. How is this done without planning or saving? I'm torn now between Orlanda area vs Raleigh NC area. Any suggestions? I've seen a lot of negative talk about Orlando on here, but there are bad areas everywhere. I'm curious to know how people relocated.</p>
We originally relocated here because of family and jobs. We have built a life here with a full circle of supportive friends. I think today's society is too transient. When you have a network, contacts, they are an unbelievable source of almost anything you need. We vacation at the beach, in the mountains, etc. accomodation rent free (we have friends with cabins, beach houses, etc.) When our son needed a job - he got 3 - yes, he wouldn't have gotten them unless he was qualified, but we also had friends working at all 3 places.

However, that doesn't happen overnight. We are part of a church family that is really our extended family. We have spent 25 years here, helping, supporting, and celebrating the good and bad times with our friends.

This kind of thing doesn't happen if you move every couple of years. So my suggestion is find the place that seems to 'fit' for you and then plant roots. Reach out to others....that's what makes life fulfilling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 01:09 PM

65 posts, read 254,322 times
Pianogal-This kind of thing doesn't happen if you move every couple of years. So my suggestion is find the place that seems to 'fit' for you and then plant roots. Reach out to others....that's what makes life fulfilling.

This is absolutley the truth. We have had to relocate every 3 years for the past 6 years and just when you get to know people you have to leave. It takes time to really know people, but you can not get to know anyone if you do not let them into your life. I agree also with what you said about a network of friends through church is a great way another is through a common interest activity. Dance lessons, art, library book clubs....The community usually offers many adult classes at a free or low cost

Good luck to you footballgal. Aren't you a student at UCF?

Old 05-29-2008, 03:14 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
We moved to FL from PA 8 years ago. We used to vacation here and loved it. We made our decision based on our circumstances at the time. We lived in a touristy area so there really weren't any jobs. The weather was to cold with long dreary days which were very depressing. We lived in the country, and though it was beautiful, the location was too far from everything. The only thing is that we had to move away from family, but we knew it was only a two hour flight back home. Looking back, I thought it was the right choice, but my husband disagrees. He said family is more important and you should live by eachother. Anyhow, it gave us a better life with jobs, close proximity to things, beach, activities for the kids, and good schools. (By the way, we live in Seminole county) I think you know when it's time, but I think it's best to plan it. Make sure you have work lined up and live close to where you work. That way, you don't have to deal with rush hour traffic on I 4. We are planning to move to Raleigh, NC and I saw that was one of your choices. I like both places, but we are ready for a change and this way we'd be closer to family. One thing, we do miss are the seasons which we'll get in Raleigh. From what I understand, people say there is alot more to do in FL. I guess it depends what you like. (state parks, theme parks, etc) I think Raleigh has the beaches and the mountains which is a plus. On thing though, I will miss the beach being only 45 minutes away. The only thing I don't like about FL is that it gets too hot for about 8 months a year. I guess it beats shoveling 2 feet of snow. Lots os sunshine which is great! Otherwise, I don't have any other complaints. I guess it can't be perfect wherever you live. Visit both places and you decide. They have alot of the same restaurants and stores. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando