Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2023, 06:17 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,066,278 times

Advertisements

My in-laws are looking to buy a house in Poinciana. They're a retired Jewish couple from the NYC metro area in their late 60's. They're relatively active and are looking to make some friends.

What's the area like? Is it safe?

What can they do in town and other places nearby? What's there for young families to do? Obviously Disney & Universal are there, but I mean beyond the theme parks. (Just thinking ahead for when we visit).

I spent a summer in central FL and the humidity was brutal. Is it like that all year round?

What's the political climate like? ILs are moderate Democrats but are quiet about their politics.

What else should I know?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2023, 09:47 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,509,869 times
Poinciana can be rough. I think inside Solivita (retirement community) is fine, but otherwise it has a reputation for not being the best area. Hopefully others with more intel can chime in. I do know that traffic can be a nightmare in that area. If they’re open to anywhere else I would steer them away from Poinciana.

For things to do, I would check out things around downtown Orlando. Museums, public parks, Leu Gardens, great restaurants, etc. In Winter Park, Park Avenue is lovely.

It is hot and humid for a lot of the year (roughly May-October) but our winters and early spring are mostly lovely, lower temps and much lower humidity. It does get cold here occasionally- I’ve seen it get down to 19 degrees.

Political climate is definitely a spectrum. Orlando itself is a fairly blue bubble in the midst of a lot of red, and it’s gotten redder with so many conservative transplants moving here since the pandemic. Osceola County is an odd mix, it has a huge Hispanic population that tends to lean Democrat and then some areas of conservative southerners.

Old 05-17-2023, 10:06 PM

35 posts, read 43,635 times
Hope they speak Spanish.

Old 05-18-2023, 01:50 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,125,528 times
I used to work down there. I would never live there.

Not because it's dangerous - it isn't.

I would never live there because it's in the middle of nowhere, it has very few amenities, it's isolated, and as a result the traffic to get in out of there is a nightmare. For all intents and purposes it's an island. There are a bunch of creeks, lakes, and massive wetlands complexes that serve to cut it off from the surrounding areas.

There are a whole bunch of projects that are underway or in the engineering phase like the Poinciana Parkway extension, the I-4 connector, and the Southport connector that will make the traffic situation a lot better over time but I wouldn't want to wait 10 years for that. Sure, there's basic retail down there but that's it. The nearest movie theater is still a +30 minute drive.

Old 05-18-2023, 02:58 PM

490 posts, read 518,188 times
Do they like driving a lot?

Old 05-18-2023, 03:23 PM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
My in-laws are looking to buy a house in Poinciana. They're a retired Jewish couple from the NYC metro area in their late 60's. They're relatively active and are looking to make some friends.

What's the area like? Is it safe?

What can they do in town and other places nearby? What's there for young families to do? Obviously Disney & Universal are there, but I mean beyond the theme parks. (Just thinking ahead for when we visit).

I spent a summer in central FL and the humidity was brutal. Is it like that all year round?

What's the political climate like? ILs are moderate Democrats but are quiet about their politics.

What else should I know?

Thanks!!
I wouldn't recommend it. They might find looking in Deltona/Debary/Orange City a better option which also has a considerable NY/NJ transplant population and is much further along than Poinciana in terms of amenities and development. It's an hour from the theme parks which is probably NOT going to be a focus of leisure activity for them, but close enough for out-of-town visitors.

Old 05-18-2023, 04:03 PM

Ugh. Ok. The moment my ILs started talking about inexpensive housing, I knew there had to be a catch.

Thanks everyone!

Old 05-19-2023, 08:35 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,125,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I wouldn't recommend it. They might find looking in Deltona/Debary/Orange City a better option which also has a considerable NY/NJ transplant population and is much further along than Poinciana in terms of amenities and development. It's an hour from the theme parks which is probably NOT going to be a focus of leisure activity for them, but close enough for out-of-town visitors.
Yes, Volusia and maybe even northern parts of Lake County are probably a much better move for cheaper housing. Maybe not Poinciana cheap but still a good deal. That Deltona-DeLand corridor there's really everything you'd need plus maybe the occasional trip to Sanford for stuff you might be missing on the other side of the lake.

Also, not a huge fan of Allegiant but SFB has cheap flights to regional airports up north. Way easier than trying to get down to MCO.

Old 06-01-2023, 07:05 AM

Default Update

Update:

My ILs are officially moving here. They sold their house and are buying a home in Poinciana for cash. I wish they chose a spot that was a bit more accessible, but what do I know?

Old 06-01-2023, 07:11 AM

8,753 posts, read 5,050,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
Update:

My ILs are officially moving here. They sold their house and are buying a home in Poinciana for cash. I wish they chose a spot that was a bit more accessible, but what do I know?
If it is not to late....talk them into renting first. I wish I rented in the area I moved to first (not FL), I would of made a different dicision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando