Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2024, 01:30 PM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times

Advertisements

https://www.wesh.com/article/orlando...thon/46398221#

While this is sure to make driving around downtown even more of a pain than it already is (thankfully I typically commute via Sunrail) I am excited about this, and happy that they opted for downtown as opposed to somewhere in Disney World. 100,000 expected spectators from around the world. It gives the actual city of Orlando some exposure will showcase the thriving neighborhoods that exist in the core, shifting attention away from theme parks and whatnot. Too many people outside of Florida think Orlando is just some tourist trap around Disney, and will see that there is so much more than that.

A poster in the soccer forums literally claimed he went to an Orlando City game and felt the area around the stadium was nothing but a tourist trap, to which I asked him if he went to Exploria, and he said yes... And we all know how "touristy" Downtown Orlando is lol... Never mind the fact that Exploria is in a rough part of town. Not sure what tourists he knows are venturing out to Parramore for leisure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
It is different here, but the MLS fans have significantly different cultures at their games. I found Orlando to be a literal tourist trap. Never been to Toronto, but Houston and Dallas are indeed a very Texas thing. Hell, Dallas has built the Soccer Hall of Fame, is there anything that could be more American, and stupid, than a hall of fame. Just different, but not shallow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
You went to Exploria Stadium in Orlando and found the area to be a tourist trap? The stadium is downtown, quite far removed from anything "touristy."
And... Orlando has quite an impressive soccer following and support for the team. The city would lose its mind if it were to be sold/moved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
Indeed I did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2024, 07:15 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Orlando could learn a lesson from Indianapolis which has taken a focus on securing national amateur events into quite the revenue base. Swimming/Diving (this year's Olympic Trials), Gymnastics (meets and Olympic Trials) and Figure Skating (meets and Olympic Trials) are some examples along with varying NCAA championships (national and regionals) rather than focusing on very costly and largely unattainable pro sports franchises given too close a proximity to Tampa Bay.

Old 01-18-2024, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Orlando could learn a lesson from Indianapolis which has taken a focus on securing national amateur events into quite the revenue base. Swimming/Diving (this year's Olympic Trials), Gymnastics (meets and Olympic Trials) and Figure Skating (meets and Olympic Trials) are some examples along with varying NCAA championships (national and regionals) rather than focusing on very costly and largely unattainable pro sports franchises given too close a proximity to Tampa Bay.
I agree with you for the most part, but could you elaborate on the last part? How is proximity to Tampa Bay negatively impacting our pro sports franchises (Magic and Orlando City?)
Tampa has MLB, NFL and NHL. Orlando has NBA and MLS. They're not competing for fanbases.
Both the Orlando Magic and Orlando City have done quite well in Orlando.

Old 01-19-2024, 07:08 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
I agree with you for the most part, but could you elaborate on the last part? How is proximity to Tampa Bay negatively impacting our pro sports franchises (Magic and Orlando City?)
Tampa has MLB, NFL and NHL. Orlando has NBA and MLS. They're not competing for fanbases.
Both the Orlando Magic and Orlando City have done quite well in Orlando.
There has been mention by city leaders in trying to lure an NFL team and MLB team to Orlando, neither of which of course would ever be approved by the respective leagues or the Bucs and Rays. My point is they need to get over the envy and work toward something more attainable.

Old 01-19-2024, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
There has been mention by city leaders in trying to lure an NFL team and MLB team to Orlando, neither of which of course would ever be approved by the respective leagues or the Bucs and Rays. My point is they need to get over the envy and work toward something more attainable.
Ah. I see. Trying to bring NFL to Orlando would be incredibly stupid. MLB I could MAYBE see working, ONLY if it's a relocation of the Rays, which I doubt would ever be to Orlando anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando