Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2024, 08:44 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times

Advertisements

Lake Mary could work out for you. Relatively low Hispanic population and still one of the more desirable parts of Central Florida. I'd also throw Heathrow into the list as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2024, 08:52 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Lake Mary could work out for you. Relatively low Hispanic population and still one of the more desirable parts of Central Florida. I'd also throw Heathrow into the list as well.
That's changed considerably the past few years as the Puerto Rican population overall has exploded in Central Florida.

Old 01-30-2024, 09:37 AM

17,117 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
That's changed considerably the past few years as the Puerto Rican population overall has exploded in Central Florida.
I agree. However, the noise and stuff OP is complaining about doesn't seem very prevalent in Lake Mary still. And definitely does not exist in Heathrow. I am currently in Lake Mary just off of Rinehart (East) and it is pleasantly quiet, while still kind of at the "center of everything."
That being said, not sure I'd want to commute back and forth to UCF from there daily. You're at the mercy of the 417 for the entire stretch, and it can and does get problematic at random locations quite often.

Does anyone know what "schools" will be opening up/expanding into the new downtown campus? It's quite large, so I'd assume quite a bit of programs will be available, if not completely shifting there? If OP's kids' programs are available downtown, it opens up quite a few other possibilities.

Old 01-30-2024, 12:55 PM

490 posts, read 516,902 times
Quote:
From the south side of town. Population changes as you go north but that is changing.

Old 01-30-2024, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
I agree. However, the noise and stuff OP is complaining about doesn't seem very prevalent in Lake Mary still. And definitely does not exist in Heathrow. I am currently in Lake Mary just off of Rinehart (East) and it is pleasantly quiet, while still kind of at the "center of everything."
That being said, not sure I'd want to commute back and forth to UCF from there daily. You're at the mercy of the 417 for the entire stretch, and it can and does get problematic at random locations quite often.

Does anyone know what "schools" will be opening up/expanding into the new downtown campus? It's quite large, so I'd assume quite a bit of programs will be available, if not completely shifting there? If OP's kids' programs are available downtown, it opens up quite a few other possibilities.
I'm referring more to the commercial centers like the Publix mega-plaza on Lake Mary Blvd. I had noticed a bit of an influx of the PR special souped up Honda Civics with full-blast mufflers recently as well. Of course my point of reference goes back further than yours having recently moved in too.

Old 01-30-2024, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firmbizzle View Post
From the south side of town. Population changes as you go north but that is changing.
Yes and no, the south side stills seem quieter having less commercial centers and more SFH residential.

Old 01-30-2024, 03:39 PM

17,117 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
I'm referring more to the commercial centers like the Publix mega-plaza on Lake Mary Blvd. I had noticed a bit of an influx of the PR special souped up Honda Civics with full-blast mufflers recently as well. Of course my point of reference goes back further than yours having recently moved in too.
You're right, now that I really think of it. My recent trips to the stores of Lake Mary Blvd are in line with what you say, to the point I hear almost as much Spanish in the stores as I do English. The Fancy Fruit Plaza (Technically a Sanford address, but you know how that goes) is practically entirely leased by Latin businesses.

Old 01-30-2024, 06:46 PM

35,672 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumUser1234 View Post
Prior military here, so we're used to neighbors come and go and we have moved a lot ourselves. We've gotten lucky in the past I guess with wonderful neighbors. Heard great things about Clermont! Hopefully things will settle down here as the neighborhood grows, right now I don't know.
Vets widow. Fl is one of the states Vets flock to. I’m a city gal (South Fl) never found the Orlando area loud- at all compared to Miami or New York etc.. Now some folks like the quiet as you find in rural areas. Those lands are disappearing fast.

Old 01-31-2024, 04:46 PM

141 posts, read 115,119 times
I'd welcome some insight from someone more familiar with the culture, maybe. What is with the noisy and raucous behavior of certain Hispanic / Latino people in the Orlando area anyway? I'm talking about the loud music, farty-piped cars, and high volume FaceTime conversations in public. I grew up in South Florida and have always lived around Hispanic people (primarily Cuban), but I never noticed such widespread inconsiderate behavior down there.

Old 02-01-2024, 08:20 AM

6 posts, read 6,882 times
Thanks everyone for the inputs. I appreciate the insight.

@Roger Lessman

I wonder myself why some people behave this way. Some people either just don't care about how their actions affect others or are unaware of it. That's just the way they grew up. I grew up in PR for little under half my life (I'm in my 40s) and often saw this behavior by certain groups or at certain areas. You just learn to avoid them. Some young guys thought it was cool to have loud music from cars and the fart noise so they go for it, some neighbor enjoys playing his music at home at full blast so they do it, some people unaware of their loud conversations and some that won't even get off the phone while paying at a store, their conversation is more important than anything else around them so they go on. It's all self-centered behavior that society as a whole has not found a way to address/educate. There's a lot of good people as well in the island that have to deal with these rotten apples. Unfortunately, we might be seeing an influx of these kinds of people to Orlando and they are in many areas difficult to avoid. I've seen this behavior not just from Puerto Ricans, but from other hispanics/latinos and Portuguese speakers as well. TLDR - education level, society has allowed it, perhaps, idk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando