Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2007, 11:44 AM

1,594 posts, read 5,283,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanne33189 View Post
We picked a home in osceola county.The sub is called BlackStone Landing (S.Poinciana & Octavia Blvd)...It is near Poinciana High School

I am hoping all turns out well, It seemed like a nice quiet community.
That is a nicer area of Poinciana in my opinion - away from the craziness that surrounds Walmart. If you have young children then Reedy Creek is the best elementary school out there. Good Luck!

Old 03-17-2007, 05:12 PM

31 posts, read 104,977 times
do you know what are the best school districts

Old 03-17-2007, 05:20 PM

go to greatschools.net and you can compare schools all across florida. I think they are pretty acurate.

Old 03-19-2007, 01:33 PM

7 posts, read 24,313 times
youre just like me. you know the area so well you know pretty much everyhting. im glad i live here but osceola county is kicking my ass, i cant wait to return to orange county

Old 04-16-2007, 12:25 PM

195 posts, read 1,168,528 times
Default Might be moving to FL but the 'rants' by Florida locals have me scared

Okay, my hubby is looking to get transferred down to FL. We're are currently in PA and we're looking for more affordable housing. We've vacationed in FL for many years but I realize vacationing and living are two completely diff things. We're are looking at the Lakeland/Winterhaven areas since he would most likely be working closer to Tampa. These are the things that concern me:

1) I know I'm going to sound silly to people that live in FL...BUT THE HURRICANES FREAK ME OUT! Do you really have to be listening to the radio everytime there's a storm? Does everyone have to have a 'safe room' in their house to hide?

2) What's this about crime in FL? How could there be any crime in city that is so close to Mickey Mouse? Lol... but to be honest, the crime concerns me as I will be raising children there. What are the safest areas? (Sorry if this question is a repeat of other posters).

3) Bugs..yes we have them here too. But someone on another board who was a native Floridian said that I WILL have roaches in my house in FL and there's nothing I can do about it! Hunh??

Any input you could give me would be most welcome.

Old 04-16-2007, 01:01 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,833,251 times
Wink Here is some info. Hope it helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirenSong71 View Post
Okay, my hubby is looking to get transferred down to FL. We're are currently in PA and we're looking for more affordable housing. We've vacationed in FL for many years but I realize vacationing and living are two completely diff things. We're are looking at the Lakeland/Winterhaven areas since he would most likely be working closer to Tampa. These are the things that concern me:

1) I know I'm going to sound silly to people that live in FL...BUT THE HURRICANES FREAK ME OUT! Do you really have to be listening to the radio everytime there's a storm? Does everyone have to have a 'safe room' in their house to hide?

2) What's this about crime in FL? How could there be any crime in city that is so close to Mickey Mouse? Lol... but to be honest, the crime concerns me as I will be raising children there. What are the safest areas? (Sorry if this question is a repeat of other posters).

3) Bugs..yes we have them here too. But someone on another board who was a native Floridian said that I WILL have roaches in my house in FL and there's nothing I can do about it! Hunh??

Any input you could give me would be most welcome.

More affordable in housing in FL?!?!!? I think you have not yet checked local home prices. Do not be fooled by the cheapie $150,000 houses. These are in drug-infested ghettos. You would never wnat to live there, trust me. I just have to let you kow that despite the reversing of home prices in Central FL, home prices have been artificially inflated for a long tima dn houses in ghettos in Orlando are still going for $245,000 - $260,000. A decent home in a decent area will start at $310,000 - $350,000.

Lakeland is getting pretty expensive too. You want to stay out Tampa and out of the illegal alien areas, unless you like crime and chickens jumping on your car while you are in traffic.

1. When a hurricane is announced, everyone runs top the stores to get groceries. People often fist fight over a bottle of water or some canned soup. They definitelly yell at each other and get all aggressive over some gasoline for their cars. You have to be really prepared for a hurricane and even then, there is no guarantee you will not have any major damage from the actual hurricane, flodding and tornadoes. Search this forum for "hurricanes" and you can learn a lot. 2007 is set to have a LOT of hurricanes, as the Atlantic waters (a/k/a Hurricane fuel) are very very hot. So a lot of strong hurricanes are expected this year. : Ugh.

2. Orlando is #25 most violent city in the USA. Orlando, land of "mandated happiness" is also the angriest town in the USA accroding to health sources and health magazines. I saw something about that too. Orlando is not safe at all. Lakeland is still pretty safe. Tampa is not safe. Actually, anywhere in metropolitian areas in FL will be dangerous and violent. You need to look at the suburbs....

3. There are HUGE cockroaches in FL that are hard to kill and they FLY! They are called "Palmetto Bugs". Search the forum or the internet for info on these. The damn roaches will get in the house, no matter how clean your house is or no matter how much bug spray you use. They will come in, specially the Palmetto ones. >_< They are annyoing, I hate roaches! UGH!!

Here is a pic of one. They are quite "lovely"

http://actionpest.com/uploads/images/display/phpjk8SQ5.jpg (broken link)

Notice how huge the Palmetto bug is??? They are enourmous. Stomping on them is NOT a guaranteed kill and they will try and fly away after a failed stomp.

If cockroaches do not bother you, expect to find tiny spiders in your car, lizards in your kitchen, fire ants and termites in and around most homes. Mosquitos will be plentiful year round, as we have a ton of still water.

We also have an annoying insect here called a "Love-bug". These are completely harmess and kinda cute, BUT they smash on your car and windshied and are a pain in the ass to clean! And they STAIN cars permanently, so you have to wash the car (or at least clean the bug area) ASAP after they squish. >_<

Old 04-16-2007, 01:32 PM

640 posts, read 3,076,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
More affordable in housing in FL?!?!!? I think you have not yet checked local home prices. Do not be fooled by the cheapie $150,000 houses. These are in drug-infested ghettos. You would never wnat to live there, trust me. I just have to let you kow that despite the reversing of home prices in Central FL, home prices have been artificially inflated for a long tima dn houses in ghettos in Orlando are still going for $245,000 - $260,000. A decent home in a decent area will start at $310,000 - $350,000.

You're coming down from PA, these prices probably seem affordable or cheaper. The market has come down quite a bit here also, I know you can still get decent homes in nice areas because people are giving them away. In our neighborhood one home was listed for 590k and didn't sell. The employer's relocation company finally bought it and then sold it for the low 400's. There are also smaller homes that sell much cheaper than that in our neighborhood... I've seen them in the mid-high 200's even. I don't know much about areas near Tampa but in Orlando there are still very nice homes if you look. Please contact a local realtor to give you specifics on the areas that you need to look in. Take some of the wacky advice here on this forum with a grain of salt.
Lakeland is getting pretty expensive too. You want to stay out Tampa and out of the illegal alien areas, unless you like crime and chickens jumping on your car while you are in traffic.

1. When a hurricane is announced, everyone runs top the stores to get groceries. People often fist fight over a bottle of water or some canned soup. They definitelly yell at each other and get all aggressive over some gasoline for their cars. You have to be really prepared for a hurricane and even then, there is no guarantee you will not have any major damage from the actual hurricane, flodding and tornadoes. Search this forum for "hurricanes" and you can learn a lot. 2007 is set to have a LOT of hurricanes, as the Atlantic waters (a/k/a Hurricane fuel) are very very hot. So a lot of strong hurricanes are expected this year. : Ugh.

I'd have to say this is probably like what you've experienced up in PA. A snow storm is approaching, everyone runs out to get groceries.... no different here. The poster above is probably referring to the idiots who even though they've been warned for a week a hurricane is coming, they run out at the last minute for supplies because they think it's not actually going to come. Then fights ensue because there isn't enough to go around. They said we were supposed to get a lot of hurricanes last year, but they've never materialized. I guess it's the luck of the draw with the storms, I'm going into my 3rd year here in Orlando and I've not seen a hurricane yet. Knock on wood!
2. Orlando is #25 most violent city in the USA. Orlando, land of "mandated happiness" is also the angriest town in the USA accroding to health sources and health magazines. I saw something about that too. Orlando is not safe at all. Lakeland is still pretty safe. Tampa is not safe. Actually, anywhere in metropolitian areas in FL will be dangerous and violent. You need to look at the suburbs....

3. There are HUGE cockroaches in FL that are hard to kill and they FLY! They are called "Palmetto Bugs". Search the forum or the internet for info on these. The damn roaches will get in the house, no matter how clean your house is or no matter how much bug spray you use. They will come in, specially the Palmetto ones. >_< They are annyoing, I hate roaches! UGH!!

Here is a pic of one. They are quite "lovely"

http://actionpest.com/uploads/images/display/phpjk8SQ5.jpg (broken link)

Notice how huge the Palmetto bug is??? They are enourmous. Stomping on them is NOT a guaranteed kill and they will try and fly away after a failed stomp.

If cockroaches do not bother you, expect to find tiny spiders in your car, lizards in your kitchen, fire ants and termites in and around most homes. Mosquitos will be plentiful year round, as we have a ton of still water.

We also have an annoying insect here called a "Love-bug". These are completely harmess and kinda cute, BUT they smash on your car and windshied and are a pain in the ass to clean! And they STAIN cars permanently, so you have to wash the car (or at least clean the bug area) ASAP after they squish. >_<
Also like to say that I don't think I've seen more than one of those Palmento bugs since I've lived in FL. Just find a reputable pest control service and you'll be bug free. Well worth the few hundred bucks a year! Lovebugs are a pain but they don't last all that long. As far as mosquitos go, most everyone has screened in porchs and pools so it's really not much of a concern unless you're out in the woods or on a lake somewhere. The lizards can be a nusiance but it's Florida and tropical, not much you can do about that!

Old 04-17-2007, 05:24 PM

1 posts, read 3,969 times
I will be moving from the Boston area to Orlando this year. I've been looking at apartment complexes. I'm having trouble finding one that will allow pitbulls, as I suspected. Do you know of any apartments or rental houses that will allow them?

Old 04-23-2007, 04:13 AM

18 posts, read 77,861 times
How are the NEW condos across from The Loop shopping center next to Hunters Creek??? There is this place called the FLORA RIDGE CONDOS and they are brand new (built in 2006)... I know the area and it's always been good. But since this is right off of the Osceola Pkwy and nearer to Kissimmee, I wanted to know what people think of this area and if it still a nice place to live and SAFE.

Thanks

Dallas22

Old 04-23-2007, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas22 View Post
How are the NEW condos across from The Loop shopping center next to Hunters Creek??? There is this place called the FLORA RIDGE CONDOS and they are brand new (built in 2006)... I know the area and it's always been good. But since this is right off of the Osceola Pkwy and nearer to Kissimmee, I wanted to know what people think of this area and if it still a nice place to live and SAFE.

Thanks

Dallas22
I would consider it Hunter's Creek more than Kissimmee and the area is very nice around the loop but, as in most places in Central Florida, the traffic at the intersection of Osceola Parkway and John Young is a killer. I have not heard of any crime in the area because it is so new and in a higher price range. So if it is a good commute for you and in your price range then I say it is a good idea. However, if you have never lived in a condo before then please research how well you will like the condo lifestyle. I did not like it because of the very strict condo association that we had and the very high association payments. Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando