Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 03:28 PM

21 posts, read 85,048 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am currently attending college at the university at buffalo, and have been planning on moving south as soon as i graduate. I was just wondering with my degree in Finance which city has the better opprotunity for me. If anyone would have an idea offhand that would be very helpful. I dont mean to start a battle of bashing each other, but from some threads i have read i seem to getting a mixed answer. With this knowledge it will be more likely that i will make the move, I just cant take it up here anymore lol.

Thanks

(I did post this on the tampa thread too but they told me to try it here and see your opinions as well?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 03:36 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,146,482 times
I think that the job market in general is a little better in Tampa than Orlando.
I also think financial/banking/advertising jobs are more plentiful in Tampa.
I think you should look in both though because the cities compliment each other well and you may prefer one over the other as they are very different. I think Tampa has more urban identity and culture, while Orlando overall has more entertainment and better real estate, shopping and restaurants. I live in Orlando and think it is cleaner too, but I do frequently miss the beaches and think Tampa is close to some of Florida's most beautiful ones. Overall I think they are equivalent in a lot of other things.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:54 PM

2,700 posts, read 3,681,557 times
I agree--it's pretty much a toss up. Go where you find a job. Get established and then decide if you want the 'other' city. Orlando is definitely entertainment and real estate. However, you can get to the East Coast beaches in 45 minutes to an hour.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:15 PM

169 posts, read 655,684 times
Tampa has better restaurants, is closer to the beach and has much more culture and history. Orlando would have a population of 50K right now if it wasn't for Disney. This is an absolute no brainer especially for someone coming from up north. If your from podunk and get warm and fuzzy from seeing strip malls, Orlando is your autombile.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:33 PM

640 posts, read 3,074,757 times
I completely disagree that restaurants are better in Tampa than Orlando... no way! You talk about downtown Orlando being dead, downtown Tampa is a complete ghost town! You talk about Orlando and all the strip malls and ghettos, Tampa is just as bad if not worse. Because of Disney, we have hundreds upon hundreds of restaurants to pick from which are located in much more beautiful locations. Who cares if Disney didn't come to Orlando 35 years ago, get over it.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:30 PM

169 posts, read 655,684 times
Not even close, Tampa has authentic Ethnic foods (real cuban, Italian, Mexican, Berns's Steak House and Orlando has chains.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:35 PM

640 posts, read 3,074,757 times
Tampa has a chain on every corner...

I Drive, downtown, Disney properties, Winter Park, (to name a few) have plenty of original, non-chain restaurants to choose from.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:40 PM

872 posts, read 1,712,744 times
From what I have read the Finance/Accounting jobs are much more plentiful in the Tampa area. Hospitality and I.T. jobs are stronger in the Orlando metro. If you receive a job offer in both places and the pay and work is similar I would recommend Tampa. There is much more to do. More free events, more concerts, history, better theatre, more variety in restaurants, beaches are closer, not as spread-out as Orlando, three professional sports teams, slightly cooler in the summer, cheaper golf, more down-to-earth people. I could go on and on. In fairness, though, Orlando is cleaner and demographics seem slightly younger.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:29 PM

69 posts, read 83,846 times
Take a drive on bayshore drive overlooking Tampa Bay. Have brunch at Oystercatchers overlooking the bay, then come to Orlando and try not to laugh at Lake Eola. Tampa is so much nicer. You can go to a hockey game and a football game and not be acosted. Last time I went to a Magic game I almost got mugged. Tampa actually has a history, this is truly a no-brainer. It seems most people on the Orlando board say Tampa and I'm sure all people on the Tampa board say Tampa, that should tell you plenty. Notice how many people from Orlando or living in Orlando truly hate it. That should tell you plenty.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:08 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,146,482 times
The Amway Arena (Orlando) IS in the absolute worst part of town LOL.
And Tampa wins hands down when it comes to the water setting.
The restaurants are very debatable.
More chains in Orlando, but I think much more options and variety in general because of the tourist base... there are great ethnic options in both.
When you mention Tampa though, a lot of the nice areas are far from the city and closer to St Pete and Clearwater.
The actual city is blocks and blocks of rundown, dusty looking, faded, shoddy storefronts.
The part of town the last blogger mentions in the one livable area south or east of the airport on the Tampa side.
Do yourself a favor and look at home prices and neighborhoods on Real Estate Valuations, Homes for Sale, Free Real Estate Information | Zillow Real Estate. If you zoom out to the city level and check the heat map option for the nicer areas, those options are areas are much more prevalent and widespread in the Orlando area than Tampa.
Orlando is much cleaner and kept up than Tampa in general.
I think people complain a lot in both of their own cities forums because people are negative in general, but both cities have their pros and cons.
The original OP never came back to post, but it would very drastically which he would prefer based on what he is looking for. He would probably like JAX for all we know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando