Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 04:29 PM

87 posts, read 256,905 times

Advertisements

I think that little by little the Orlando Metro Area is having or, at least, has the potential of becoming another South Florida if its population continues growing as it goes. Speaking another language than English is not and should not be an issue ONLY IF non English speakers like me are willing to learn English and to adapt to the mainstream. What I critisize is when you speak in English to many Hispanics and they show attitude towards English. I am a proud Hispanic, English is not my first language, and I know what I am talking about. Please, do not make Metro Orlando in another Miami-Dade. Please, do not bring to Central Florida the same bad attitude and habits of Latin America... bring the good things... this is what Central Florida and this nation need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 04:48 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,700,229 times
If this helps at all, the closest walmart supercenter near me used to have a small Spanish word under every English word on the signs in the store that label every section. But I went in recently and realized everything was just in English no Spanish translations under any words.. not a Spanish word in sight.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:47 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,213,451 times
First no because we dont have beaches and tall residential or commercial high rises. Second no because people in Orlando are nicer. Third NO because we do not have the transit options including freeways. Fourth no because only one of our counties has a population over 1,000,000. fifth NO because their weather is simply better. Sixth NO because of the fact Miami's Diversity alone surpasses central florida's.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:08 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,346,116 times
To get to the heart of your post I really feel that such situations are a thing of the past. I am also bilangual/bicultural and although I proudly still speak my native tongue I must admit I am doing so less and less each day. I am of middle age and have noticed that those younger than me, speak even less. This seems to be apparent in all non native speaking cultures in the US. The reality is, as we continue raising our families here, English naturally becomes the dominant language. I find more often now that kids are taking classes in their native tongue to learn to speak it. It's rare to find people under 20 who speak their native language fluently. So in a few years from now, I don't think we will be asking ourselves this questions as much as where can I find a place that teaches "....." language?

Old 06-16-2010, 06:25 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,700,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
To get to the heart of your post I really feel that such situations are a thing of the past. I am also bilangual/bicultural and although I proudly still speak my native tongue I must admit I am doing so less and less each day. I am of middle age and have noticed that those younger than me, speak even less. This seems to be apparent in all non native speaking cultures in the US. The reality is, as we continue raising our families here, English naturally becomes the dominant language. I find more often now that kids are taking classes in their native tongue to learn to speak it. It's rare to find people under 20 who speak their native language fluently. So in a few years from now, I don't think we will be asking ourselves this questions as much as where can I find a place that teaches "....." language?
I have noticed the same. Every Hispanic person I know in my age group speaks English. Some know Spanish some don't, but they all speak English as their main language. I am hearing Spanish spoken in public less and less, and when I do its usually the older generations.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:44 PM

200 posts, read 538,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
First no because we dont have beaches and tall residential or commercial high rises. Second no because people in Orlando are nicer. Third NO because we do not have the transit options including freeways. Fourth no because only one of our counties has a population over 1,000,000. fifth NO because their weather is simply better. Sixth NO because of the fact Miami's Diversity alone surpasses central florida's.
LOL. I think that sums it up well.

I think what the first poster is wondering is if Hispanic immigrants in Orlando are becoming slow to assimilate, e.g. not learning English, etc, like many in Miami. I think it's true that some here do not want to change as in learn English, but most have and can speak English fine.

This is just my experience, but Miami has a large Cuban population that doesn't speak English at all, while Orlando's hispanic population is mostly Puerto Ricans so most but not all speak English.

I don't expect Orlando's population to ever grow big as Miami's.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite loop View Post
LOL. I think that sums it up well.

I think what the first poster is wondering is if Hispanic immigrants in Orlando are becoming slow to assimilate, e.g. not learning English, etc, like many in Miami. I think it's true that some here do not want to change as in learn English, but most have and can speak English fine.

This is just my experience, but Miami has a large Cuban population that doesn't speak English at all, while Orlando's hispanic population is mostly Puerto Ricans so most but not all speak English.

I don't expect Orlando's population to ever grow big as Miami's.
I doubt Orlando population will ever grow that large but I know orange County certainly has the potential. Orlando has many that can speak english well, and at the same time here Spanish is a NATIVE and most important to them. Same with the Haitians here and the Haitians in Miami.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:41 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,585,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flmover View Post
I think that little by little the Orlando Metro Area is having or, at least, has the potential of becoming another South Florida if its population continues growing as it goes. Speaking another language than English is not and should not be an issue ONLY IF non English speakers like me are willing to learn English and to adapt to the mainstream. What I critisize is when you speak in English to many Hispanics and they show attitude towards English. I am a proud Hispanic, English is not my first language, and I know what I am talking about. Please, do not make Metro Orlando in another Miami-Dade. Please, do not bring to Central Florida the same bad attitude and habits of Latin America... bring the good things... this is what Central Florida and this nation need.
That's not going to happen, as another poster stated Miami has mostly Cubans who speak little or no English at all, whereas Orlando has a lot of Puerto Ricans (especially from New York) and they are usually bilingual or english only.

On the flipside however, Orlando does have a burgeoning Colombian population, and not many of them speak english, but they seem willing to learn

One day in the far future, Orange County may have a population similar to what Miami-Dade is currently. I remember reading somewhere that Orange County will have a population of 2.5 Million by 2050 If that really is possible than Crotty's cronies better get their butts in gear, quit bickering over things and make some MAJOR improvements to the roads NOW, among countless other things to work on. As much as I'd love to see Orlando continue to prosper into the gleaming metropolis it's meant to be, it is far behind on many things sadly, inadequate roads being number 1 IMO

Old 06-16-2010, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
That's not going to happen, as another poster stated Miami has mostly Cubans who speak little or no English at all, whereas Orlando has a lot of Puerto Ricans (especially from New York) and they are usually bilingual or english only.

On the flipside however, Orlando does have a burgeoning Colombian population, and not many of them speak english, but they seem willing to learn

One day in the far future, Orlando may have a population similar to what Miami is currently. I remember reading somewhere that Orange County will have a population of 2.5 Million by 2050 If that really is possible than Crotty's cronies better get their butts in gear, quit bickering over things and make some MAJOR improvements to the roads NOW, among countless other things to work on. As much as I'd love to see Orlando continue to prosper into the gleaming metropolis it's meant to be, it is far behind on many things sadly, inadequate roads being number 1 IMO
I remember that. 2.5 Million by 2050 it was in some megaplan or something.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:53 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,585,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
I remember that. 2.5 Million by 2050 it was in some megaplan or something.
I may be back in Orlando by that time or I still may be in Vegas who knows I will be 60 in 2050, I cant imagine how bad traffic will be by then

People in 2050 will have 2 choices for public transit in Orlando. Hover Lynx Bus, or Non-Hover Lynx, the latter being all the current Lynx buses will still be in service 40 yrs from now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando