Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 05:03 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,696,446 times

Advertisements

Welcome to the Great Orlando Wheel (http://www.greatwheel.com/orlando/home_english.htm - broken link)

I'm not sure if Orlando is the best location in all of North America for this attraction, With hurricanes and all, plus Orlando is very flat, not very scenic. Whats your opinion on this attraction coming to Orlando in 2010? Good or bad idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 05:10 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,213,569 times
Its an excellent idea. Orlando is beautiful! I've parasailed at about 800 feet and it is definetily breath-taking! 400 feet should be okay. You would be amazed at some of the things you see up there, its quiet too.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:55 PM

631 posts, read 2,452,135 times
I have been hot air ballooning around here and Noodles is right - Orlando is very scenic from above. You'd be very surprised! I am all for it.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:33 PM

436 posts, read 1,089,672 times
Ehh... kinda cool, kinda just another tourist trap. And I agree, no hills or really anything I would refer to as "scenic." I can go up to Lake Lure, NC and see 2 states at one time, with beautiful hills and mtns. Like I said, cool, but other areas are far more scenic.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:42 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,213,569 times
But where else on Earth can you see Disney, Universal, and SeaWorld all at once from the air as well as the many lakes around and all that's going on International Drive. It must be difficult seeing everything as a "tourist trap" instead of accepting it with a free mind.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:02 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,861,779 times
Sounds very cool. shame they can't get it to the size of the arch in St.L

Old 03-19-2009, 09:36 AM

910 posts, read 2,332,410 times
This actually should make it more pleasant, considering how flat Orlando is with very little reaching the skies, it would make a great attraction. But I am worried about the high winds, considering the assurances that it will be certified for it. I would hope they would close it in the case there were anything above 50 mph. Just hope it's not a disaster waiting to happen.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:32 AM

76 posts, read 665,161 times
I don't think this type of attraction will work in this area. Orlando is very different from the other tourist areas where these things have been built. Take London for example, people go to London to see London. People do not come to Orlando to see Orlando they come to experience attractions in theme parks. What you will see from this vantage point is theme parks and urban sprawl, regular ordinary modern homes and businesses. Obviously people will be going up in this thing to see theme parks, the closest theme park to it is Sea World while the two more popular resorts Disney and Universal are further away and wont be close enough to see all the details. I think there is a demand to see the Disney resort from the air due to it's size but this can be accomplished with the new Balloon attraction at Downtown Disney or helicopter tours which probably cost quite a bit less and offer a much closer view. I can see this being very popular for launches but they will probably have to charge more for these events since they only occur every so often. Assuming this even gets finished I would be very surprised if it does well.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:43 PM

631 posts, read 2,452,135 times
Well you all who don't like it don't have to worry. They have scraped the plans as of today. The developers have "put it on hold" until the recession ends.

In other words, you won't ever see it.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:07 PM

436 posts, read 1,089,672 times
I think it'd be cool though. I just think it's so flat and you would see a lot of sprawl. Being able to see multiple theme parks at once? Meh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: