Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 04:49 PM

200 posts, read 538,280 times

Advertisements

But those people probably had access to natural gas so that helps to cut the electric use. Compare apples to apples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 07:38 PM

229 posts, read 778,693 times
Moderator cut: ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoktober View Post
I will say that paying $200 for 2 weeks of heat is wrong, no matter how you slice it. I actually went on FaceBook and asked in my status to tell me the bill price for last month from my friends. After 30 something responded, much of those from NY, IL and TN all of theirs were lower than mine... for an entire month.

Of course, you are using a frame of comparison that makes no sense.
  1. They likely don't have electric heat or heat pump, the most inneficient way of heating when the temperature outside is as low as we had it.
  2. Their houses are way better insulated than houses here in central Florida.
Now, try that with your neighbors that have similar houses, and similar heat systems and you will find similar bills to yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoktober View Post

When I pay $250 a month maximum any month in the Summer - usually set at 73, then there's no excuse in heaven nor hell why I would pay $478 for an electric bill. I did more than double, so even by your retarded theory, there's no way that can happen. I lived in Chicago for 10 years and NEVER paid nearly $500 for heat.
Again, electric heat or heat pump with electric strip auxiliary is the most ineffficient way of heating, they are powerhogs.

KUA charges more per KWh once you go over the 1K KWh mark, which you likely went over for that period.

My progress bill for a 2K sqft house is normally $90-$120, this past month was $250. Your situation is not out of the ordinary at all.

Last edited by Keeper; 01-29-2010 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: removed orphaned comment

Old 01-29-2010, 03:25 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,189,971 times
Folks.. please report post rather than get into an argument.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:33 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,800,205 times
We have a heat pump here in North GA. It seems to run all the time, even when set to 65 in winter.

I think I could make out pretty well in FL now that I'm used to 65 indoor temp in winter. 66 would be my ideal, and anything over that is stuffy hot for me.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:55 PM

Here's a story along the same lines.

Every example they use...about double of the average bill of each person.

Central Florida's cold snap: Power bills skyrocket - OrlandoSentinel.com

"Like several other utilities in the region, Progress Energy broke all-time usage records during the cold blast — twice. It initially set a record Jan. 7, only to break it again Jan. 11. The utility estimates customers were using 70 percent to 90 percent more electricity to warm up from the cold than the average January usage.

Customers may wonder why heating costs are so high compared with what it costs them to keep air conditioners running in the summer. Heating can use two to three times more energy than cooling does, according to Bennett. For example, if it's 28 degrees outside, a lot more juice is needed to heat a house to 68 degrees than, conversely, to cool a house to, say, 78 when it's 90 outside. In other words, units have to work harder to bridge the bigger temperature gap in winter than summer."

Old 01-31-2010, 12:57 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,168,388 times
Everyone I know received super high utility bills. Hopefully for lots of folks, they have extra income tax refunds to apply towards it.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:18 PM

611 posts, read 1,455,756 times
Ive had the following (all apartments)

2/1 in Jacksonville (JEA) -150/mo

2/1 Clearwater (PE) 170/mo

1/1 Kissimmee (KUA) 250.00

2/1 Kissimmee (KUA) 400.00/mo

*no washer, no dryer, rarely cook, rarely home at that!

KUA is doing something fishy.

Oh, and to the poster that asked, KUA employees are paid well, those jobs are coveted and highly competitve.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:40 PM

200 posts, read 538,280 times
Yeah, got the January bill and it was about 200 for power, not counting water, garbage p/u, etc. Think that's still for 35 days so not too bad.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duttygal86 View Post
Ive had the following (all apartments)

2/1 in Jacksonville (JEA) -150/mo

2/1 Clearwater (PE) 170/mo

1/1 Kissimmee (KUA) 250.00

2/1 Kissimmee (KUA) 400.00/mo

*no washer, no dryer, rarely cook, rarely home at that!

KUA is doing something fishy.

Oh, and to the poster that asked, KUA employees are paid well, those jobs are coveted and highly competitve.

Both of these PSC (Florida Public Service Commission) documents show the electric rates for KUA are cheaper than JEA's.

page 22 of the pdf, or page 16 of the actual document.

http://www.psc.state.fl.us/publicati...igures2009.pdf

table A-2 of page 10 of the pdf

http://www.psc.state.fl.us/publicati...ate_report.pdf

There has to be something else to blame for that big bill difference (rather than some utility conspiracy). Differences in all of the following would play in that bill disparity ; building insulation, weatherization, orientation and type of windows, orientation of the building, age and efficiency for the AC/Heating appliance, tree cover etc.

Last edited by BuenoQueHacemohAhora; 02-07-2010 at 08:43 AM..

Old 02-22-2010, 09:10 PM

1 posts, read 5,281 times
We live in a 3500 sq ft (brand new) home, and we are very careful about how much electricity we use. We do not run the ac or heat most of the day, we NEVER use the dishwasher, hardly cook, and have loosened most of the light bulbs in all of the bathrooms to use less light. The only thing we use often is the washer and dryer. We have not changed, since we moved in last August, the way we use electricity (except to modify all of the lights in order to conserve energy), and still our electric bill gets higher each month. We started at less than $250, and now we're at $600! I do not have a regular job. I work at home and try very hard to make ends meet. It is ridiculous that I have to skimp on necessities in order to pay more electricity. We even froze last month turning off the heat in the day, and only turning it on at night, in order to save on electricity, and our bill is more than $150 higher this month! KUA is robbing us blind!! They won't even come to check the meter. Is there somewhere that I can send a compaint? I feel like I am paying for 2 more cars a month, without the luxury of having 2 more cars. I need help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando