Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2009, 09:07 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,715,129 times

Advertisements

I am curious because with no one living in our house, the bill stated 30,000 gallons at our house, watering two days per week 20 minutes per zone with a rainbird rain guage. Now, with folks living here we have gotten readings from 28,000 up to 39,000 gallons.

We have no meter on our irrigation system so I have no clue what it uses. I am trying to figure if I have a broken something somewhere or if this is within 'normal' ranges. We have a pool but really have not needed to add water in a long while....

We had a leaky faucet we fixed, running toilets- fixed, and possibly a broken irrigation pipe (not totally sure if brighthouse cable broke it or not but either way, it is now fixed) and still the high bill, so....if you can give your input, I would appreciate it! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 01:21 AM

196 posts, read 818,447 times
irrigation is expensive! get another meter for that. This way you will not be charged for the higher usage when you move in. My last bill was $474!! I am now considering adding an irrigation meter...

Old 08-19-2009, 07:59 AM

And by that you mean I won't be charged the sewer or discharge rate, right? It is something we are kicking around. The charged I am talking about are actual the actual water consumtion...we went from 7000-8000 in usage in our old house...hahaha!!!

So if I get the meter then I still get charged for the water but not the sewer, and the bill is a little less that way if I understand correctly...

I am still trying to see if I need to have my sprinklers checked for a leak or anything or if this is a pretty standard amount of water...

Old 08-19-2009, 09:18 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,575,900 times
Get ready for some very high water bills in Oviedo. Water in Oviedo is very expensive.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:56 AM

228 posts, read 537,361 times
To check if you have a leak, make sure no one is using water inside your house. Go out to the meter, locate the little red triangle on the face of the meter and see of it is moving. If so, you probably have a leak somewhere.
Also, if it's option, consider a shallow well for irrigation. It's a "green" option by not using potable water and you only pay for the electric the pump uses. Be sure to test the ground water for iron content.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Get ready for some very high water bills in Oviedo. Water in Oviedo is very expensive.
Mmm..well...it was about 120 bucks for the 30k gallons...so...not killing the budget, but I also don't want to be wasteful either!

Old 08-19-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Developer View Post
To check if you have a leak, make sure no one is using water inside your house. Go out to the meter, locate the little red triangle on the face of the meter and see of it is moving. If so, you probably have a leak somewhere.
Also, if it's option, consider a shallow well for irrigation. It's a "green" option by not using potable water and you only pay for the electric the pump uses. Be sure to test the ground water for iron content.
Aha! Good idea....now I gotta go find that meter..LOL...so many shrubs around this house I can't find anything! Thanks for the idea!!!

Old 08-20-2009, 12:22 PM

228 posts, read 537,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotrosie View Post
Aha! Good idea....now I gotta go find that meter..LOL...so many shrubs around this house I can't find anything! Thanks for the idea!!!
If you're in Oviedo, most likely your meter with be inside a black plastic box that is flush with the ground. Look near the street, curb, and /or sidewalk.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Developer View Post
If you're in Oviedo, most likely your meter with be inside a black plastic box that is flush with the ground. Look near the street, curb, and /or sidewalk.
Thanks...lol..I was feeling kindof stupid last night as we could not find it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: