Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 08:20 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times

Advertisements

Nobody has mentioned anything about Thanksgiving on this forum. Being from up north, holidays are a big deal. I know alot of ppl don't have family down here and nor do we, but we still have a big dinner. We'll invite friends or neighbors over that don't have family around either.

I don't want this to turn into a bashing Orlando thread, just wondered why ppl feel this way? I know sometimes I don't get that holiday feel that I like b/c nobody else seems to be in the mood around here. I really like holidays too.

Anyhow, Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 08:41 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
Happy Thanksgiving to you too! I think it has to do with the weather, up north when the temps start to dip and the leaves start to change and drop, its tells you that the holidays are coming and it puts you in the holiday spirit. The weather just starts to put you in the spirit to decorate for the holidays too. In Florida since our weather is like summer most of the year we are in the summer mentality down here, not the Fall holidays. At least this is what I figure.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:48 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Happy Thanksgiving to you too! I think it has to do with the weather, up north when the temps start to dip and the leaves start to change and drop, its tells you that the holidays are coming and it puts you in the holiday spirit. The weather just starts to put you in the spirit to decorate for the holidays too. In Florida since our weather is like summer most of the year we are in the summer mentality down here, not the Fall holidays. At least this is what I figure.
I can agree with this. It's nice to be raining today, that helps with the mood.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:06 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
I don't know, that's all we've heard about in my neighborhood for a few days now! Some neighbors already are fully decorated for Christmas though...

Old 11-25-2009, 09:19 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,696,446 times
I don't know what your talking about. thanksgiving is being somewhat ignored all across he US this year due to the Christmas season starting earlier because the economy. Ppl make just as much of a big deal here than they do in the rest of the country, maybe you don't see it because you don't have family here, but for those of us who do have a lot of friends and family here do see it. And as for Christmas, I already see a ton of houses In my neighborhood decorated, Christmas tree tents up and running, season greetings signs on the light poles, etc. and it's not even thanks giving yet.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:25 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,926,253 times
I know, right? Well, I am from FL and so is many of my family members, and some of my family members werent born in FL but have been here a long time. I think part of it is that its just hard to get in any kind of holiday mood when the temps are always the same. And I think because it's so transient and people are from all over the place, it's hard for people to feel established and a part of the community. A lot of people probably wish that they were back in NY or NJ or wherever, and maybe are annoyed that that they're in FL without some of their family. Just a guess.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:28 AM

Another interesting story. We were one of the only houses to put up Fall decorations and Halloween stuff. I dont know if it's a culture thing or what, but very few did anything. We have tons of kids in our subdivision, but where were all of them on Halloween?

Old 11-25-2009, 09:31 AM

but even with the weather, the people who were raised here or have lived here awhile are used to the weather here during the holiday season, which usually isn't even bad. It still gets chilly this time of year just not FREEZING. This thanks giving is gonna be great, high of 71 lows in the 40s. and the following days will have highs in the 60s and lows in the low 40s. Today it's in the 60s, grey, and rainy. Feels somewhat like up north to me

Last edited by GLS2010; 11-25-2009 at 09:59 AM..

Old 11-25-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Another interesting story. We were one of the only houses to put up Fall decorations and Halloween stuff. I dont know if it's a culture thing or what, but very few did anything. We have tons of kids in our subdivision, but where were all of them on Halloween?
I saw a good amount of halloween/fall decorations in my subdivision. I guess I just got lucky with good spirited neighbors and you didn't.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
I saw a good amount of halloween/fall decorations in my subdivision. I guess I just got lucky with good spirited neighbors and you didn't.

That's quite possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando