Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 10:26 AM

5 posts, read 4,571 times

Advertisements

We are a family of three...younger couple and a ten year old starting middle school in August. I need some pros and cons for two different cities...Oviedo vs Dr. Phillips..thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 10:47 AM

27,232 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Some like Doctor Phillips because it's in the middle of everything in terms of being near Disney and the attractions but it's also surrounded by some not so great areas, has some fairly high violent crime/burglary rates a bit too close to home (and in your daily travels in my opinion) and can also be quite congested with tourist traffic. Oviedo is close enough to most of the area, is relatively low density with much less traffic/congestion and little if any tourists, has excellent schools, isn't close to bad areas and as a result fairly safe.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:08 AM

Thanks for your reply!

Would you need to leave Oviedo to do "normal" things though...like shopping, movies, etc?

Old 03-24-2014, 11:40 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,343,504 times
No Oviedo has grocery stores and restaurants in the area. Waterford Lakes Towncenter is a short drive away for all your shopping needs. Oviedo is just much slower paced and less developed than Dr. Phillips but it's close enough to UCF and other areas to have all the amenities you need. Dr. Philips is great area as well but it is much busier, more developed, and just more congested.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:51 AM

So with the convenience of Dr. Phillips comes the traffic and craziness? I just don't want to be too rural but it seems like that isn't the case with Oviedo, right?

Old 03-24-2014, 12:08 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,343,504 times
Not so much anymore. Oviedo used to be a sleepy rural town, but with the expansion of UCF and the growth in neighboring University Park, Tuscawilla and Casselberry it's basically a typical suburban area with pockets of rural areas. If you want conveniences but not too rural you should also look into Winter Park, Maitland, Altamonte Springs, Wekiva/Sweetwater and Lake Mary. All are very similar communities to DP and Oviedo but more in the core of CFL.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:31 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,513,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany4982 View Post
So with the convenience of Dr. Phillips comes the traffic and craziness? I just don't want to be too rural but it seems like that isn't the case with Oviedo, right?
People on this board tend to over exaggerate the "craziness" of Dr. Phillips. I live here and I rarely hit traffic. It's certainly not bumper to bumper. Most streets are almost always free-flowing. Plus it's just a lovely area with major shopping, restaurants, and entertainment nearby. Dr. Phillips and Windermere are my favorite areas in Orlando, followed by some of the downtown neighborhoods (Delaney Park, Thornton Park, etc.).

Old 03-24-2014, 12:38 PM

Thank you to everyone for your opinions. I knew it would cause a little debate. Why is moving so hard?!?!

Old 03-25-2014, 09:16 AM

388 posts, read 791,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
People on this board tend to over exaggerate the "craziness" of Dr. Phillips. I live here and I rarely hit traffic. It's certainly not bumper to bumper. Most streets are almost always free-flowing. Plus it's just a lovely area with major shopping, restaurants, and entertainment nearby. Dr. Phillips and Windermere are my favorite areas in Orlando, followed by some of the downtown neighborhoods (Delaney Park, Thornton Park, etc.).
I concur. The only traffic I really deal with is at the intersection of Sand Lake and Turkey Lake. Other than that, I find it very easy to get around. The steady stream of traffic lights on Red Bug Lake Rd in Oviedo, can be a drag.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:47 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,333,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Idealism View Post
I concur. The only traffic I really deal with is at the intersection of Sand Lake and Turkey Lake. Other than that, I find it very easy to get around. The steady stream of traffic lights on Red Bug Lake Rd in Oviedo, can be a drag.
I sometimes find Apopka Vineland south of DP near I-4 to be rough at certain times, but within DP, I agree with your statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando