Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 10:08 AM

1,382 posts, read 3,802,097 times

Advertisements

In December, we returned for a visit to Central FL where I grew up. On our way out of town, we headed out Lake Mary Blvd and pulled into a gas station. (across from Lake Mary Elementary)

There was some sort of police action going on that looked pretty intense. There was a black SUV with flashing lights underneath it and a man with a gun on his hip was restraining another man (who had a car nearby). The situation did not seem very safe to me because it looked like things could quickly go wrong if that man was strong enough to twist and grab the gun. It also looked like both vehicles had been driving and they pulled into the parking lot for the arrest.

While we were pumping gas, 2 marked Lake Mary police cars arrived to help.

Does anyone know if Lake Mary (and other areas) deploy undercover police in unmarked SUV's with light strips underneath? This scenerio was kind of a shock for a quiet Wednesday morning. There were people bicycling around and we had our kids in the car. Needless to say, this did not help in my efforts to convince my husband that we should move back to the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 10:13 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
In December, we returned for a visit to Central FL where I grew up. On our way out of town, we headed out Lake Mary Blvd and pulled into a gas station. (across from Lake Mary Elementary)

There was some sort of police action going on that looked pretty intense. There was a black SUV with flashing lights underneath it and a man with a gun on his hip was restraining another man (who had a car nearby). The situation did not seem very safe to me because it looked like things could quickly go wrong if that man was strong enough to twist and grab the gun. It also looked like both vehicles had been driving and they pulled into the parking lot for the arrest.

Does anyone know if Lake Mary (and other areas) deploy undercover police in unmarked SUV's with light strips underneath? This scenerio was kind of a shock for a quiet Wednesday morning. There were people bicycling around and we had our kids in the car. Needless to say, this did not help in my efforts to convince my husband that we should move back to the area.
Yeah, they do. Be careful and keep an eye out for them. They have them in Mustangs, pick-ups, and SUV's.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:50 AM

284 posts, read 985,941 times
Having unmarked police cars is a plus , criminals will think twice before committing a crime . Here in NY i have seen cops drive anything from a minivan to a taxi cab and suv's to sports cars .

Old 01-05-2010, 03:14 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,790,056 times
Quote:

yeah that's normal all around Orlando now...i see em stopping people on I-4 alot before i moved to Nashville 2 months ago...i asked my brother if they had undercovers like that up here and he thought it was something out of the ordinary...i lived in Orlando the last 10 years and there are lots of those undercovers just driving around in normal looking cars...i usually saw dodge chargers pullin people over on I-4

Old 01-05-2010, 04:57 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,802,097 times
That's interesting. My brother was pulled over by someone pretending to be a cop a long time ago in Seminole County. (his car at the time had windows so dark they couldn't tell who was driving). The fake cop was probably hoping to find a woman driver.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:38 PM

284 posts, read 985,941 times
Quote:
That's interesting. My brother was pulled over by someone pretending to be a cop a long time ago in Seminole County. (his car at the time had windows so dark they couldn't tell who was driving). The fake cop was probably hoping to find a woman driver.
it's everywhere , twice by me in a short span

http://www.news12.com/archive/articl...news_type=news

http://www.news12.com/archive/articl...news_type=news

Old 01-05-2010, 06:51 PM

331 posts, read 1,052,510 times
I once was pulled over in Sanford by a cop in a silver Mustang, I think it was Seminole County Police Department. It was during the day so I could tell he was a cop, but at night I would be afraid to pull over by a cop in an undercover car.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:31 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,861,779 times
They will even use foreign cars . I saw a Toy Tundra. Winter Park has a red mustang, Orlando has a black one. Your first clue are the windows they are always illegally tinted too dark.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:21 AM

793 posts, read 2,525,262 times
They are using a mix of vehicles on the State, County and City levels; driving around as much as I do for Real Estate you see them everywhere.

I think it's a great deterrent and I'm sure a shock to the driver being pulled or observed.

If I were alone at night and a car pulled behind me with police lights I would slow down to 5 or 10 miles under the speed limit, cut on my 4-way flashers to acknowledge my understanding of the possible policeman and dial 911 on my cell, the operator should be able to help.

As for the gun on the policeman’s side unless unclipped by the officer it is tough to pull.

Lake Mary made the top 100 list as best places to live in the U.S.

Hope this helps,

Old 01-06-2010, 10:07 AM

429 posts, read 1,105,137 times
Quote:
Needless to say, this did not help in my efforts to convince my husband that we should move back to the area.
I'm not sure I understand how this would hurt your efforts to move back? You may have seen an arrest of sorts, but the fact they are patrolling undercover will only help crime fighting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando