Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 03:29 PM

3 posts, read 18,523 times

Advertisements

Like most people we're looking to move into the best fitting town/area/neighborhood in the Orlando vicinity. While I realize there are pros & cons to all areas- I don't want to sacrifice the things that are important to us. We currently live in very nice, safe suburb of NY with fantastic schools. Our careers are leading us to the Orlando area & we've heard that Lake Nona, Lake Mary and Dr. Philips were all good places to consider however, we're open to all towns. I was told to be aware that a Florida school could have an A rating but if it were here- it could be considered a B-. My daughter is 12 years old: does very well in school, is involved with a local children's theater, takes voice/piano lessons, participates in pop warner cheerleading & loves riding her bicycle with friends. My husband is Catholic (Italian) while I'm Jewish & although we don't belong to a church/temple- I would like to have my daughter in an area where it's not uncommon to see a menorah & Christmas tree in the same house. We're just trying to find the best all around fit...some guidance would be helpful & GREATLY appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 04:06 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,687,749 times
Lake Nona is a great area but it is new so its not that established compared to Lake Mary and Dr Phillips. Dr. Phillps is nice, its the most busy out of the three areas, right next to Universal Studios and also close to some not so good areas. If I were you I would pick Lake Mary, or even Oveido, both are great suburban towns with A rated schools, and low crime.

Honestly, I'm not sure if that whole "A schools in FL = B schools in NY" thing is true anymore, I have cousins who live in the NYC metro and when I was in 10th grade I was rading the same novel in my english class as my cousin on Long Island was reading in his 11th grade english class. Its all relative.

Parrotrosie just moved to Oviedo from up north about a year ago, so I'm sure she can help you out with concerns you may have about making the move. and Beckycat is the Lake Mary expert on here.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:34 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,527,922 times
Lake Mary hands down. Lk. Mary is a nice, cute, quaint, upscale area.

Seminole County schools are far superior to Orange County and other county school systems.

Lake Nona is far away from everything except Lake Nona! It feels isolated to me. If you want to get to downtown Orlando it is quite a drive.
Dr. Phillips has some nice homes but you are surrounded by a bad area with high crime.

Of your three choices if I had to pick, with or without children and schools to think of Lake Mary is far and away the one I would chose. For every reason including resale value, crime, schools, quality of life etc etc.!
Plus it sounds like Lk. Mary is the closest fit to what you describe as your current town in N.Y.
Good luck.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:37 PM

56 posts, read 168,569 times
Lake Mary without a doubt!!

Old 07-23-2010, 10:40 PM

3 posts, read 18,523 times
You're all SO kind & I'm grateful for the input! I'll put Lake Mary on the top of our list. What are your thoughts on the differences between Markham Woods & Greenwood Lakes Middle schools? Is there a better neighborhood associated with either one? Lastly, what’s your opinion on Lake Mary Prep vs. Lake Mary High? Again, any suggestions are appreciated

Old 07-23-2010, 11:46 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,508,237 times
I would hands down choose Dr. Phillips over the other two areas. Look into Windermere as well. They are both beautiful, very safe areas with good schools, close to amenities, shopping, and of course the theme parks. I don't find them to be too busy- personally I like the pace and you don't feel as isolated as you would in other, farther suburbs. Since your daughter is into the performing arts, for down the road there are two high schools in the area that feature incredible theatre. One is Dr. Phillips HS, which has the Visual and Performing Arts Magnet (with programs for theater, dance, and chorus, plus band and orchestra), and West Orange HS (Windermere is partly zoned for this school) has a great theatre department as well.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:37 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
I would hands down choose Dr. Phillips over the other two areas. Look into Windermere as well. They are both beautiful, very safe areas with good schools, close to amenities, shopping, and of course the theme parks. I don't find them to be too busy- personally I like the pace and you don't feel as isolated as you would in other, farther suburbs. Since your daughter is into the performing arts, for down the road there are two high schools in the area that feature incredible theatre. One is Dr. Phillips HS, which has the Visual and Performing Arts Magnet (with programs for theater, dance, and chorus, plus band and orchestra), and West Orange HS (Windermere is partly zoned for this school) has a great theatre department as well.
I agree. Dr Phillips is definitely the most interesting out of the choices, with good schools also.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:38 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,527,922 times
I don't mean to put down your area or schools however West Orange High and Seminole County schools are not comparable.
Now Windermere is a very nice upscale area, if you get real Windermere and not some pseudo subdivision with Windermere in the name. The OP did not list Windermere as a choice. And even if she did she would have to send her children to private school to get a similar education.

Dr. Phillips has had quite a bit of crime and some of it violent, rapes etc. It is surrounded by a bad element. It is almost like there is beautiufl Dr. Phillips with a wall around it that was built next door to a vey bad area. There is no way Dr. Phillips is a "very safe area." Also Kirkman road is a nightmare. A traffic congested stretch of road with many apartments and businesses. Yes, it is close to Disney. And with that comes all the traffic, congestion etc.
And to the person who lives and likes Dr. Phillips please don't get upset and I am glad that you like your area. But I just think people have the right to know the facts .
But I also sugeest the OP does her own research on school systems, crime etc before making the final decision.

Last edited by Booya; 07-24-2010 at 03:42 AM.. Reason: added info

Old 07-24-2010, 07:46 AM

2,129 posts, read 4,508,237 times
^^^ I realize what you're saying about West Orange, I forgot that it was a lesser-rated school. I mentioned it because if her daughter is really theatrically inclined, she may want to look into it. Although she didn't list it as a choice, why not mention Windermere? It's a nice area she may not have known about. And there are good public schools in the area- Olympia HS is often one of the higher ranked schools in the county.

May I ask where you get the information that there has been violent crimes/rape in Dr. Phillips? I'm not upset, I simply can't recall hearing of any notable crime here. I feel completely safe always, even in areas close to Kirkman. The only iffy areas that border Dr. Phillips are the Metwrowest/Millenia areas.. it's certainly not surrounded. The other borders- Lake Buena Vista and Windermere, are safe.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:44 AM

986 posts, read 3,549,070 times
Brinksofsunshine, did you not know that there is crime everywhere except for the Seminole County area/Lake Mary....lol. A former Altamonte springs officer was just charged with child abuse, but there is no crime in Seminole county according to some people....lol

I hate to break it to you folks but there is crime everywhere, and every area has its more desireable areas and its not so desireable areas. What you should be trying to do is find areas which match what you as a family are looking which includes commute distance, schools, and recreation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando