Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 10:45 AM

7 posts, read 15,645 times

Advertisements

I'm about to graduate from college soon (in Tampa, Fl) and looking to move to either Orlando or Atlanta as a teacher. I have lived in Orlando before and have some family in Atlanta so I know a bit about both cities. However, I'm torn between which major city to move to and it's getting down to the wire where I need to start making plans. How do the cities compare for a single person and for the sake of hypothetical situations doesn't know anyone in either city? How easy is it to be social based on the cities activity offerings to meet new friends, how is the safety, job outlooks for teaching elem. ed, cost of living on a small salary in a safe neighborhood, and any other valuable information. Thanks so much, God Bless!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 11:40 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
What type of teacher? They have been laying off teachers in the Orlando area.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
What type of teacher? They have been laying off teachers in the Orlando area.

Elementary edu. I'm a non-education major and planned on taking the certification exam

Old 01-08-2010, 11:48 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,054,033 times
For a single person, depends...what are you into? Bar and nightclubs?

Old 01-08-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
For a single person, depends...what are you into? Bar and nightclubs?

I'm not a big drinker but I love dancing so I'm really into Citywalk and Pleasure Island but it would be so uncomfortable to go to these places alone so are there any activities that promote meeting people?

Thanks so much for all the replies so far

Old 01-08-2010, 11:58 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anwill14 View Post
Elementary edu. I'm a non-education major and planned on taking the certification exam
Your chances of finding a teaching job around here are about zilch.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:13 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,693,879 times
There are many places to meet people at. especially outside of the attractions area.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:21 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
I would check out the job opportunities in your specific field before making the big decision. The cost of living may be a little less in Orlando, and there are a lot of things to do here, but without a secured job....it might not end up on the top of your list at this time. You could always come back here at a later date once the economy levels out a bit.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:54 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times
I would think that the Atlanta area would be more expensive than Orlando. However, some Atlanta suburbs may be significantly more expensive than ours.

As far as teaching is concerned, yes, there is a shortage of jobs. However, in my field, I saw many first year teachers given jobs while experienced teachers who were laid off or cut were left with nothing in August. Even with the predicted budget nightmare, people still go off to grad school, get married and move, etc., so there will be jobs available. The difference between 2010 and 2006 is that the districts won't have to go to the ends of the earth to get people to apply. They will have so many applicants that they won't be able to think about going to the ends of the earth.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:37 AM

43 posts, read 113,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Your chances of finding a teaching job around here are about zilch.
really? My husband has had 5 interviews in the last week and an offer on the table from an Orange County School. (The other interviews were Lake county).

He plans to go down to finish this school year and make sure its stable before we sell our house, but hoping it will be secure!? He has a middle school math and science degree.

Looking for temporary housing for him now, thats why I'm on these boards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: