Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 01:55 PM

1 posts, read 17,445 times

Advertisements

it in my house and am a little freaked out because it got away. Any info would be appreciated. I've attached it to this post. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Does anyone know what kind of spider this? I found-dsc03018.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 02:02 PM

131 posts, read 578,025 times
Default looks like a wolf spider.. we have these KY too

I've had these suckers jump out close to me when I've been gardening and it's very freaky..

Do yourself a favor.. spend the money and have a local company treat your house for bugs.. that will keep the spiders away.. no food, no spiders.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:25 AM

35 posts, read 313,958 times
A little hard to say from the picture but it could be a Brown Recluse.

Appearance:
Brown recluse spiders are light to dark brown in color. They have a dark violin shaped marking, with the neck of the violin pointing toward the bulbous abdomen. The abdomen is covered with numerous fine hairs that provide a velvety appearance. The long, thin, brown legs also are covered with fine hairs, but not spines.

Size:
Range from 3/8 to 5/8-inch in length. Their leg span is about the size of a quarter.

Behavior:
Brown recluse spiders often avoid humans, hence the name “recluse”. However, they will bite if they feel threatened. Brown recluse spider bites create open, ulcerous sores and can become infected if not treated.

Habitat:
Brown recluse spiders are actually not an established species in Florida, but bites that are normally associated with them are usually caused by the Yellow Sac spider. Brown recluse spiders prefer dark secluded areas. They are found indoors and can live all year long in homes, barns, sheds, warehouses, and greenhouses. They are common in protected outdoor areas as well. Brown recluses tend to hide during the day and hunt for insects including crickets, other spiders, cockroaches, and other insects. Females can lay many eggs at once, and the eggs can hatch in only a few weeks. Because of this buildings can become quickly infested with brown recluse spiders.

Bite Signs and Symptoms:
The bite of the brown recluse spider can result in a painful, deep wound that takes a long time to heal. Fatalities are extremely rare, but bites are most dangerous to young children, the elderly, and those in poor physical condition. When there is a severe reaction to the bite, the site can erupt into a "volcano lesion" (a hole in the flesh due to damaged, gangrenous tissue). The open wound may range from the size of an adult's thumbnail to the span of a hand. The dead tissue gradually sloughs away, exposing underlying tissues. The sunken, ulcerating sore may heal slowly up to 6 to 8 weeks. Full recovery may take several months and scarring may remain.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:48 AM

631 posts, read 2,451,219 times
I agree that it looks like a wolf spider. They are big and nasty but they don't really bite or anything. They are very common up in Seminole County.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:07 AM

95 posts, read 433,923 times
Yep, looks like a wolf spider. Creepy but not dangerous.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:37 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,190,369 times
Looks like a harmless Wood Spider. They don't usually have webs - you find them in corners in your house. Long brown spindly legs, small body that would be a Wood Spider.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:16 AM

1 posts, read 13,667 times
Definitely a wood spider. Big and scary looking members of the wolf spider family, but very shy and non-aggressive to humans, and they LOVE to eat palmetto bugs.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:10 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
I have a bunch of them in the garage. I have little lizards out there as well. We have an agreement, they stay in the garage and eat the bad bugs, and I leave them alone. They come in the house and they are d-e-a-d. Only a half dozen or so have crossed the DMZ into the house in five years, so the executioner hasn't had too much work.

It's a wolf spider, scary looking but harmless to humans.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:18 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,857,391 times
It is a wolf spider. Not a Brown recluse. those are small. The Wolf spider can be very large. and they are very fast. The are also very aggressive.

Ok here is your visual... I was going to bed one night and sleeping aux natural I was ready when I spied one of these beasts in the room. So going for speed I jumped into action and grabbed a shoe only to miss... The prey ran across the room and I made several more tries, then it ran into my closet.... mind you I am not a fan of spiders.... like really NOT a fan... but the thought of having this monster in my clothes was more than I wanted to think of. I entered the closet and moved my hanging clothes, to my relief the creature ran out along the walls and quickly disappeared. So as I'm looking....still aux natural... this beast jumped on my back. I moved so fast I left him in air with no body beneath.... you would have sworn I jumped out of my skin..... my next shoe move found him quickly dispatched to his next incarnation....

I have heard they have a pretty nasty bite but arent deadly poisonous. The Soutrh American and Australian species are more of an issue.

I have a hose attachment on my vacuum and use it with extensions... if I slowly move it towards them they do not move until it is too late. and no spider.

I have a simple rule for spiders if you are outside you live, if you are inside, you die... I try to tell them all so they are clear but once in a while they choose not to listen.

btw a recluse has a fiddle shape dark brown imprint on their back Your Black Widows have the orange spot on their abdomen those are the 2 to worry about.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:57 AM

1 posts, read 13,554 times
looks like the same spiders I have at my house. Def. not a brown recluse. From my research I think a wood spider is probably right.

They don't spin webs thus must catch food with venom. I have been bitten by these twice. I had left clothes on the floor and then put them on. Of course never felt the bite, as with most spider bites. The bite definitely won't kill you but swells to the size of a quarter and took about 4 - 6 weeks to heal.

I get these a lot in my house due to the woods behind my house. I kill them on sight after being bitten twice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: