Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 12:15 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,693,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Since when are Jetta's expensive cars? I owned one about 10 years ago and paid $18K for it. It wasn't a stripped model, either.

Frankly I think that kids need to learn to deal with each other, and I wouldn't let my kid transfer because they thought the other kids were "snotyy." There's no way that every kid in that school lives in a home with an AGI of over $200K.
jettas aren't that expensive, but buying your 16 year old child one for there first car is a bit much. And becky is right, you would be surprised at what kind of cars you see parked in the student parking lots at some HS's. You see a lot of nice cars. Snobby kids aren't really a problem with the guys but Thw girls can be very snobby and mean to other girls just because they don't look as good or dress as nice as they do. I see it everyday. These girls act like they are in there 20s or something. It's usually the lower rated schools with the nicer/more open minded people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 12:20 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
jettas aren't that expensive, but buying your 16 year old child one for there first car is a bit much. And becky is right, you would be surprised at what kind of cars you see parked in the student parking lots at some HS's. You see a lot of nice cars. Snobby kids aren't really a problem with the guys but Thw girls can be very snobby and mean to other girls just because they don't look as good or dress as nice as they do. I see it everyday. These girls act like they are in there 20s or something. It's usually the lower rated schools with the nicer/more open minded people.
I'm still not getting the problem with buying the Jetta as a first car. They are cheap, safe, fuel efficient. They don't cost any more than pretty much anything, and you can great great deals on unsed Jetta's--they will easily go 200K miles with minumal work other than basic PM.

And if I had a daughter who came home crying because girls were snobby to her, I'd tell her to suck it up--life isn't always fair. We are making a generation of namby pamby's who will never suceed in life because of the helicopter parents.

By the way, most girls I know in their 20's aren't worried about what other people wear and drive.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:56 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,693,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I'm still not getting the problem with buying the Jetta as a first car. They are cheap, safe, fuel efficient. They don't cost any more than pretty much anything, and you can great great deals on unsed Jetta's--they will easily go 200K miles with minumal work other than basic PM.

And if I had a daughter who came home crying because girls were snobby to her, I'd tell her to suck it up--life isn't always fair. We are making a generation of namby pamby's who will never suceed in life because of the helicopter parents.

By the way, most girls I know in their 20's aren't worried about what other people wear and drive.
I didn't say they act like theyre 20 because they judge people based on how they look and what they own. I said they judge people based on how they look and what they own and they act like they're in their 20s. they act like they are in their 20s because most of these HS girls (especially juniors and seniors) have fake IDs and go to clubs/bars and drink under age. I cant say i never done that but not every weekend like these HS girls and even some guys are doing. One of my friends died last year in a car accident because he was driving drunk, High schoolers shouldn't be doing that. It just seems like they strive to be the people they see on jersey shore, and other stupid shows on TV.. It shouldn't be so hard for parents to find a good rated school with GOOD students, for their child to attend. But it is hard because most of the good rated schools here are in the middle to upper class communities, where the kids control their parents and think they are invincible.

and no I wouldn't spoil my kid and buy them a brand new Jetta for their first car. You know how much your insurance rate will go up if you give a 16 year old a brand new car? I would buy my kid a decent used car and if they want to upgrade that they can find a job and learn how to work for the things that they want. Parents are making a generation of kids who get everything they want handed to them, they will never succeed in life because they think everything will be spoon fed to them. Yea maybe Jettas don't costs THAT much, but i see BMWs Mercedes and range rovers parked by me in the student parking lot at school. Thats just crazy..

Its pretty sad that this is what the US and the world is coming to.. and think, we (my generation) are going to be running this world one day.

That was way off topic. sorry. Moral of the story is, even if a high school is highly rated, there is more to it than that.

Last edited by GLS2010; 02-01-2010 at 03:14 PM..

Old 02-01-2010, 03:07 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
I have to agree with buying your teen a car at that price, it's insane! They are just learning, so they end up beating the car up. To me, you can get a reliable car for your teen for $2000-$3000. That is what my daughter got and it served it's purpose.

I wouldn't transfer my child either, I think that was a little over the top. I think kids have to understand that, in life, people sometimes don't treat you how you would like. When you are that age, it's very hard to understand and cope with it. I've been there at one point and it can be very difficult to deal with. I tell my kids, treat ppl how you would like to be treated. For the OP, there are other options and I would explore those options.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:20 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
I wasn't referring to brand new cars--I agree, I wouldn't buy a teen a brand new car. but a well maintained used car can look brand new--so unless you know for sure that it's a brand new car, it might not be.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:28 PM

765 posts, read 2,638,144 times
Smile To Get Back On Topic

A few other areas the OP may want to check out: Maitland, Winter Park, Longwood, Altamonte Springs and Lake Mary (Lake Mary is kind of far from UCF, but it is a straight shot down the 417)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando