Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 09:59 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,097,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
annerk - I list an Orlando address on my application and I don't tell them I'm relocating - I pretend I'm already there.

GLS2010 - yeah I realize I gotta keep calling and go back in, but I'm not in the area YET, so its hard to do. I hear some places are getting 500-1000 apps for a server position posting. This looks daunting, but I'm trying to stay positive.

Any tips?
Just because you are using an Orlando address doesn't mean that employers believe you are living here. They aren't that stupid, especially if you are currently employed elsewhere and also have that listed on your resume. In all honesty GLS is right, you need to keep going back in every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 10:39 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,593,219 times
Quote:
I am relocating to Orlando by mid-May 2010 for personal reasons. Everyone keeps telling me that the job market is HORRIBLE, that you can't even get a waitress job. I was thinking that I should be able to land something in a restaurant while looking for something more permanent, but even that doesn't look promising. I have a Bachelor's in Finance and am going for my MBA. I also have many years of server experience in a restaurant and have worked in accounting/billing for the past 2 years. Please tell me that I should find something in a few months if I put in the time. I'm getting depressed. Thanks.
The job market here is horrible unemployment rate is at or above 12% (I have not checked lately) But...this will be a positive post

There are still job openings out there. Companies (regardless of the economy) are always looking for people to come to work and contribute in one way or another. As long as you walk in with a positive attitude that you will get the job, your chances wil go up

Its never IMPOSSIBLE to find a job, it only seems that way

You're coming in May? That is a great time to get started as a server in one of the restaurants in the tourist area around I-Drive, and Disney World. May is beginning of the busy season for tourism, and I think you should be able to find a waitress job that should tide you over until you find something in finance

You will need to pursue positions very agressively though, and have at the very least 6 months of savings in the bank when you get here

Here is another question, you will be moving here from what I assume is another state, do you know anybody who lives here who can recommend you to their supervisor? Somebody who will have nothing but good things to say about you

You dont necessarily HAVE to know somebody to find a job, but it does help if you are moving to a new city. If you don't that hurts your probability of finding a job but it still wont be impossible

The act that you are from out of town will hurt you even more

But I have faith in you that you will at the very least get a waitress job that cn tide you over until you get something in finance

I say have 6-12 months worth of expenses in a savings account before you come here, just to be on the safe side

Best wishes to you

Old 03-23-2010, 11:42 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,066,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinsMama View Post
Really? Is that what it takes to be a good server? I thought it was more to do with being friendly, getting food out in a reasonable amount of time and being helpful if any problems arose.

I can understand your sentiments if she were only applying at Hooters or strip clubs but I could care less what my server normally looks like (man or woman). Of course if a person has boils and open sores, we don't want that either...
I've had multiple places tell me it would be a waste of time to even apply because the managers are only looking to hire girls to be hosts, servers, and secretaries. Believe me it was very upsetting to hear. Its the world we live in.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:47 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,351,780 times
Quote:
I've had *multiple places* tell me it would be a waste of time to even apply because the managers are only looking to hire girls to be hosts, servers, and secretaries. Believe me it was very upsetting to hear as a white male. Its the world we live in.

Ha- and I thought all the white males of the world had it easier than the rest of us...

Old 03-23-2010, 12:14 PM

433 posts, read 1,013,334 times
If you listen to some of these people they will have you not relocating. The reason is many of these people have lived here for a while, many have families, and many just are bored and unhappy with their lives and when they see ANYONE doing something adventurous they want to project all their own insecurities onto that person.

They told me when I wanted to move here that the winters were long and cold. They told me that id be lucky to find a job in 6 months, and they told me that i would be hard pressed to find a job as a server especially since I was a guy.

I came down anyways. Yes I had to look a lot but I found a job in 3 weeks. I found the job despite the fact that I wasn't following up with the places or asking to speak to a manager half of the time. Many days I wouldn't even get out and hit more than 1 or 2 places.

The third week I started to get nervous so I went out every day non-stop as if it was my job 9-5. I hit regular places and then in the window of 2-5 I hit restaurants every day. I did this for a few days and then got a job.

If you talk to the employee's at these places they will discourage you. The economy is terrible and especially if your new to the area and people don't know you, they will not be very supportive. People are worried to lose their job for no reason at any moment in the restuarant industry here. Any time they see someone new they wonder if that's their replacement. Ask to speak to the managers.

Also keep in mind that with the advice you get on here, some of the people feel that Florida has been invaded and ruined. So hopefully you can read between the lines on that one. I was surprised when I got down here to notice that some people seem to resent me a little bit on a subconscious level just because I'm not from here origionally and sometimes have a "funny" accent. It's not a big problem and can be easily dealt with if you have a good attitude and some street smarts and know how to make friends, but it's definately something to keep in mind.

Last edited by ^Eagle^; 03-23-2010 at 12:33 PM..

Old 03-23-2010, 01:15 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,103,726 times
If you have the experience you say you have, I don't see you having a problem finding a job. I do think you will have much better results face to face than just shipping off a bunch of resumes. I would suggest to anyone moving anywhere to plan a trip (or two or three) just for job hunting. And don't forget the theme parks

Old 03-23-2010, 01:49 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,484,365 times
Thanks for the responses everyone.

DavieJ89 - you think I need a whole year of expenses to be covered even if I'm working as a server? I figure I could make $1600-2000 a month as a server if I work full time and that will cover all my expenses and then some.

^Eagle^ - I do appreciate the words of encouragement. Unless i find something earlier because I am travelling down there every few weeks to look for a job, I plan to hit up every place I can find 8-6 or whatever I need to do. And follow up with all the places where I really want to work. If I may ask, where did you find your job? If you don't want to tell me the acutal place, could you at least tell me the location.

How do I bypass the fact that I"m from out of town. I mean I'll have an apartment there with a lease in my name, although I will have a CT driver's license. You guys have given me hope! Thanks.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:53 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,593,219 times
Quote:

DavieJ89 - you think I need a whole year of expenses to be covered even if I'm working as a server? I figure I could make $1600-2000 a month as a server if I work full time and that will cover all my expenses and then some.
I dont think its ABSOLUTELY necessary to have that much savings, but I think that it would be good to be on the safe side if you are unable to find a job

If you can get a full time job as a server then thats phenomenal. If you can find a job before getting here, you could come with just $1000 in your pocket and you'll be just fine

Old 03-23-2010, 01:58 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,097,980 times
Quote:

^Eagle^ - I do appreciate the words of encouragement. Unless i find something earlier because I am travelling down there every few weeks to look for a job, I plan to hit up every place I can find 8-6 or whatever I need to do. And follow up with all the places where I really want to work. If I may ask, where did you find your job? If you don't want to tell me the acutal place, could you at least tell me the location.

How do I bypass the fact that I"m from out of town. I mean I'll have an apartment there with a lease in my name, although I will have a CT driver's license. You guys have given me hope! Thanks.
A friend of mine is a lead at a local chain restaurant. She's averaging three shifts a week, sometimes only with 3-4 parties a shift. I think you're dreaming thinking you'll make that type of money as a server around here, unless you get into a place like Seasons 52 and get f/t hours for teh dinner shift--not likely until you work your way up.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:12 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,484,365 times
My hopes dashed again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: