Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 02:02 PM

9 posts, read 17,068 times

Advertisements

hey everyone. i have read many of the posts about oviedo/winter springs and i think i would love the area. we live in pennsylvania right now and are just sick of the weather, and of the inaccessability to any attractions. oviedo seems to have the best schooling for florida schools and its inbetween orlando and new smyrna beach which is where we will probably frequent. it also seems to have less crime than surrounding areas. now my question is this. which parts if any are bad areas? i have three small children and i would love to be in a friendly neighborhood where people actually talk to one another. we are a very active family so i want to make sure we are around parks and trails. which area do you prefer? winter springs or oviedo? thanks in advance for any input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 02:16 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,700,229 times
Most all areas in winter springs and Oviedo have what you are looking for. There is a small section of Oviedo off 419 just east of its small historic downtown that isn't very desirable. But other than that the whole Oviedo area is very nice and friendly. Same goes for winter springs all of it is a great except a small portion on the west side of it off 434 that is older, more run down and not as desirable.

Parrotrosie should be able to give you great info and advice on the move since she just moved to Oviedo from PA last summer.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:18 PM

thank you very much!

Old 04-06-2010, 07:28 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,062,746 times
No thats not entirely accurate.

There are two main high schools in Oviedo. One is one of the best in the county. The other is one of the worst in the county.

Oviedo High School is one of the best. Hagerty is one of the worst.

Its also important to note that Oviedo High School has a significant share of students coming from Tuskawilla Road which is in Winter Springs. They rezoned the entire Tuskawilla Road area I think two years ago. On the Seminole County Public Schools website you can check an address to see which schools serve it. I would make sure its in the Oviedo High School zone and not the Hagerty zone. Winter Springs High School I imagine will be on a slight decline as well due to the recent rezoning but right now its still going strong because it already had a strong base of experienced teachers and resources.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post

There are two main high schools in Oviedo. One is one of the best in the county. The other is one of the worst in the county.

Its also important to note that Oviedo High School has a significant share of students coming from Tuskawilla Road which is in Winter Springs. They rezoned the entire Tuskawilla Road area I think two years ago. On the Seminole County Public Schools website you can check an address to see which schools serve it. I would make sure its in the Oviedo High School zone and not the Hagerty zone. Winter Springs High School I imagine will be on a slight decline as well due to the recent rezoning but right now its still going strong because it already had a strong base of experienced teachers and resources.
Hagerty and Oviedo High are both great High Schools. I have personal connections to both schools and they are basically the same thing! Same demographics, same curriculum, same rules, etc. If anything Winter Springs is the worst high school out of the three. I have heard bad things about the kids who go to winter springs HS school. But curriculum wise they are all three on the same level. Which is on par to the rest of the US as far as high school education, and even above average if you want to take AP courses. Hagerty is not one of the worst in the county, and even if it was, that is not a bad thing because all of Seminole county high schools are great schools.

To the OP, when i said both areas have small "undesierable" areas in them, that doesn't mean they have ghetto areas that are un safe. Both towns are safe all over. Those areas I mentioned are just older, and more run down.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:50 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,082,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Hagerty and Oviedo High are both great High Schools. I have personal connections to both schools and they are basically the same thing! Same demographics, same curriculum, same rules, etc. If anything Winter Springs is the worst high school out of the three. I have heard bad things about the kids who go to winter springs HS school. But curriculum wise they are all three on the same level. Which is on par to the rest of the US as far as high school education, and even above average if you want to take AP courses. Hagerty is not one of the worst in the county, and even if it was, that is not a bad thing because all of Seminole county high schools are great schools.

To the OP, when i said both areas have small "undesierable" areas in them, that doesn't mean they have ghetto areas that are un safe. Both towns are safe all over. Those areas I mentioned are just older, and more run down.
I have to agree with you.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:10 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,062,746 times
Ah, I just discovered where my confusion came from. The Orlando Sentinel for some reason doesn't have any indication that information was unavailable for Hagerty High School's ratings. If you glance over it like I did at first and just look for overall score Hagerty is lower according to the Orlando Sentinel but on the index page which I didn't see until today because I found the review directly it has an asterisk by Hagerty that says its missing some data. Apologies for that.

Central Florida High School Ratings - OrlandoSentinel.com

Old 04-07-2010, 07:04 AM

229 posts, read 779,185 times
Quote:

Why speak out with such nonsense as if if where true? This has no hint of truth as far as your comparison between Hagerty and Oviedo High.

Both schools are really good, with maybe a little extra for Oviedo, since it has been established for generations. Parents have the pride of being involved in the school they also attended, programs have more long established history etc.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Ah, I just discovered where my confusion came from. The Orlando Sentinel for some reason doesn't have any indication that information was unavailable for Hagerty High School's ratings. If you glance over it like I did at first and just look for overall score Hagerty is lower according to the Orlando Sentinel but on the index page which I didn't see until today because I found the review directly it has an asterisk by Hagerty that says its missing some data. Apologies for that.

Central Florida High School Ratings - OrlandoSentinel.com
Those ratings are based on numbers from 2 years ago, before hagerty was an official 4 year high school. Thats why they have no information on it.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:28 AM

are the elementary schools just as decent? my oldest daughter will be going into first and i just wondered if all the elementaries are just as good. what parks are around there? what do they offer (trails/hiking/water activities)? ive done some of the research but i still have more to go. i just like local opinions because they tell so much about a place. i want to know what activities are worthwhile down there and what is a waste. thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando