Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Other Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 03:20 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,805 times

Advertisements

The 500 is small but it is built like tank, includes an advanced engine, has all the safety features wrapped in a package of smart design inside and out. This is a small efficient car that has form and function. It should be a winner like it is around the world but American taste -90% of them can't even operate a clutch pedal- is suspect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 03:54 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,188,270 times
The 500 is very stylish. For most Americans it is too small and girly looking.

A lot of cars sold on the American market would never work in Europe, like Acura.

Old 02-18-2011, 04:25 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times

Maybe they can bring us this FIAT Strada instead. But at $27k would it sell?

Old 02-18-2011, 04:00 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
The problem every manufacturer has faced trying to sell a cheap, small new car in the States is that it competes (poorly) with used cars that are bigger (I know its stupid, but most Americans still think bigger is better) and more familiar used cars. This is what doomed Crosley back in the 50's, and it will hurt the Fiat 500's sales as well.

Compared to Europe, the roads and parking lots here are big, gas is (still, relatively) cheap, so bigger cars remain popular.

For a guy like me who turns his own wrenches, a new car is just not worth the money. The few real car guys who will buy new will want something like the new Corvette, a WRX, something like that with more punch and exitement.

Old 02-18-2011, 04:04 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Maybe they can bring us this FIAT Strada instead. But at $27k would it sell?
It's good enough looking, but I wouldn't pay that. If I need a small pickup I would find a good old VW Caddie - they are still common around here. It would share a lot of technology with my Scirocco so service and repair would be familiar. $3000 will buy a very good one that needs nothing short term, $5000 will buy probably the best one in the region. Mid 30's for MPG (American, not Imperial gallon) with a 5-speed they are lively enough to not be boring, not an SVT Lightning by any means but does not feature the Lightning's thirst or initial expense, and won't make my insurance agent pass out when I inquire about insuring it either.

For that matter $27K would put me in a decent used Lightning if flash is what I want.

Old 02-18-2011, 04:33 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
The 500 is very stylish. For most Americans it is too small and girly looking.

A lot of cars sold on the American market would never work in Europe, like Acura.

Does anyone know if Acura launched in Europe. They were supposed to in 2010. I did a google and nada yet.
Acura: Launch in Europe in 2010 - AcuraZine Community

Old 02-18-2011, 05:03 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,090,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Does anyone know if Acura launched in Europe. They were supposed to in 2010. I did a google and nada yet.
Acura: Launch in Europe in 2010 - AcuraZine Community
You can buy Acura's in Europe badged as Honda's. Our USDM Acura TSX is actually the Euro market Honda Accord.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:40 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,460,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
The problem every manufacturer has faced trying to sell a cheap, small new car in the States is that it competes (poorly) with used cars that are bigger (I know its stupid, but most Americans still think bigger is better) and more familiar used cars. This is what doomed Crosley back in the 50's, and it will hurt the Fiat 500's sales as well.

Compared to Europe, the roads and parking lots here are big, gas is (still, relatively) cheap, so bigger cars remain popular.

For a guy like me who turns his own wrenches, a new car is just not worth the money. The few real car guys who will buy new will want something like the new Corvette, a WRX, something like that with more punch and exitement.
Then how do you explain Mini Cooper success?
1) Gas isn't cheap anymore and America was badly hit with rising prices in last years. There is a whole green car industry which didn't exist 10 years ago. Things changed.
2) Not everyone "turns his own wrenches" or has the place/room for that.
3) Fiat 500 isn't corvette or wrx, and doesn't cost $30-50K. It will compete with the like of mini cooper, prius, honda fit, mazda2. That's where it may fail with less then stellar reliability, gas milage or ride quality.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:56 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,353,293 times
Saw these at the chicago auto show. They are very small, could not actually get in one because there were hordes of crowds around them. Very good interest in them for sure. I would say they would be a great city car like the bmw mini. The back seats are next to useless though. Very nice looking little car.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:07 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
It doesn't seem like late 20's-to-late-30's, middle class couples are passing on Mini Coopers because they can get a 3-year old 325i for the same price.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the cars that killed Alfa and Fiat's reputation in the US were ugly. The Alfa Milano? Fiat X19? No love lost! Ugh. You had the Alfa Graduate, and that that sold pretty well - because it was a stylish accessory as much as it was a car. The Fiat 500 is the same thing: it's cute. It's stylish. It's going to appeal to the same subset of people who bought New Beetles for ten years and now buy Minis.

Quote:
I've lived in cities since '02, and have seen the boom and bust of SUV's. Minis are everywhere in San Francisco, and there were even more in LA. Saw a lot in Boston and NY, too.

Small cars like this don't appeal as much to families who live out in the 'burbs. They're city cars, and "premium" city cars at that.

Quote:
I turn my own wrenches, too, and drive a newer car. There are plenty of car guys who buy new or at least late-model. Most of them probably aren't looking at a compact economy car like a Mini or a 500... their wives and girlfriends probably are, though. That's where cars like this come in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Other Brands