Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 12:06 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,869,039 times

Advertisements

Women can prevent rape with one sure way - A gun and ammo. That'll put the rapist out of commission and prevent others from being his victims. I know firearm ownership is not allowed in many countries, but I think that doctor could have done better by giving the women pepper spray or a taser, or some other weapon that's capable of stopping a rapist from committing his criminal deed.

Some things to think about - I don't know the mechanics of this contraption the doctor came up with, but I'm wondering if it's comfortable for women to wear. Anything that'll put a lot of pain on a rapist will have to have some sharp devices on it. Yeah, babies can squeeze through there, but still any sharp objects, made out of a metal or some other hard material for the woman to wear might not be very comfortable. Plus, if a rapist sees the condom, what's to stop him from removing it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 12:44 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Women can prevent rape with one sure way - A gun and ammo. That'll put the rapist out of commission and prevent others from being his victims. I know firearm ownership is not allowed in many countries, but I think that doctor could have done better by giving the women pepper spray or a taser, or some other weapon that's capable of stopping a rapist from committing his criminal deed.

I suppose the problem with all those weapons is that a woman can easily be taken by surprise and/or overpowered before she has a chance to get a hold of, much less use the weapon. If stopping rapists were as easy as carrying/using pepper spray, there'd be a lot less rape cases. I'm not saying it doesn't help or never prevents crimes but unfortunately, in real life situations, the victim often doesn't even get the chance to use it.

Quote:
Some things to think about - I don't know the mechanics of this contraption the doctor came up with, but I'm wondering if it's comfortable for women to wear. Anything that'll put a lot of pain on a rapist will have to have some sharp devices on it. Yeah, babies can squeeze through there, but still any sharp objects, made out of a metal or some other hard material for the woman to wear might not be very comfortable.
There are no metal pieces. The device has "teeth" on the inside, it does not effect the outside and therefore won't hurt the wearer. And any woman who has worn a super sized tampon or menstrual cup will know that as long as it's inserted high enough up, you won't feel a thing. While I agree the device has it's flaws, this is not one of them.

Quote:
Plus, if a rapist sees the condom, what's to stop him from removing it?

I don't think it's visible from the outside. He could insert a finger to check but if he doesn't know how to properly remove it, it may just mean it clamps to his finger instead of his penis.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:18 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
Quote:
I know firearm ownership is not allowed in many countries, but I think that doctor could have done better by giving the women pepper spray or a taser, or some other weapon that's capable of stopping a rapist from committing his criminal deed.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:26 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,869,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I suppose the problem with all those weapons is that a woman can easily be taken by surprise and/or overpowered before she has a chance to get a hold of, much less use the weapon. If stopping rapists were as easy as carrying/using pepper spray, there'd be a lot less rape cases. I'm not saying it doesn't help or never prevents crimes but unfortunately, in real life situations, the victim often doesn't even get the chance to use it.
If a woman were aware of things around her, she can take preperations to prevent a rapist from surprising her, that's one of the items they teach in self-defense classes.

A woman friend of mine years ago in December of 1994 was walking back to her car after doing her Christmas shopping, and she noticed that she was being followed by somebody. Long story short, she set the bags down, and drew her .357 magnum snub-nose revolver out of her purse. It was around dusk, and the guy was running towards her, but when he saw the firearm, he stopped, then started running in a different direction.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:40 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
I agree these women should be armed one way or the other. They need an equalizer of some sort! This device ...I agree could be more of a liability. I applaud the effort to try to help any way possible though.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:52 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Quote:
If a woman were aware of things around her, she can take preperations to prevent a rapist from surprising her, that's one of the items they teach in self-defense classes.

You can take as many precautions as possible - rape will still happen and often, the rapist gets away with it. This device attempts to reduce both and I think in some cases, it may succeed. Besides, we're talking about a device that was created with South Africans in mind, where self defense classes and avoiding certain situations isn't always possible. I've heard South Africa is one of the most violent countries in the world and rape is considered a epidemic there. It's not the same world you and I live in and if preventing it was as easy as being more aware of ones surroundings and carrying a weapon, it wouldn't still be a problem. I don't have an issue with someone carrying a gun, taser or pepper spray or taking self defense classes - I have taken them myself and my family back in the US are avid gun owners... but thinking it's going to prevent all or most rape cases, especially in locations very different from our own is foolish. Even if I think it has it's flaws, there is obviously a need for something like this device in places like South Africa or it wouldn't have been created. As the creator said "Something needs to be done" and this was the something she came up with. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Quote:
A woman friend of mine years ago in December of 1994 was walking back to her car after doing her Christmas shopping, and she noticed that she was being followed by somebody. Long story short, she set the bags down, and drew her .357 magnum snub-nose revolver out of her purse. It was around dusk, and the guy was running towards her, but when he saw the firearm, he stopped, then started running in a different direction.

I've already said I'm not saying it will never help or prevent a crime. But that is ONE example. You make it sound like rape is already easily preventable - it's not, especially in areas which are much higher in these crimes than what you might be used to. You are dangerously close to suggesting that if a woman gets raped, it's her own fault for not being more aware of her surroundings, taking a self defense class and carrying a weapon.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:08 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
South African doctor invents female condoms with 'teeth' to fight rape - CNN.com

LMAO!

"The ideal situation would be for a woman to wear this when she's going out on some kind of blind date ... or to an area she's not comfortable with," she said.

So she "arms" her vagina before she goes on a blind date I see the next version of this device, after it captures his penis it automatically dials 911
Oh boy! I can see lawsuits over this device!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics