Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 06:15 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,128,548 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone
Happy Tuesday
I was gone pretty much all day yesterday so that means I have a lot of catching up to do today.
So I best get started with

Today's Question(s):
In Honor of "Embrace my Geekness Day"

Ok fees up
What was the last thing you did that could have you or others saying "I (you) embraced my(your) geekness" ?

What was the last "geeky" thing someone in your life did ?

Bonus Question
In honor of French fries Day ?

Last time you had french fries ?

What your favorite F/F "cut" ?

If you didn't order them but your dining partner did, do you "sample" one from their plate ?

Extra Credit Question:

Is there a particular bug or insect that seems to be in abundance in your "neck of the woods" ?

Is there one that is pretty much local to your state ?

Just for Fun:
How do you pronounce :
Pecan - Peecan or pacon
Vase- VAse or Vahse
Neither - Neether or Nither

What do you call the red stuff you pour on your spaghetti - sauce or gravy

Is it Soda or pop where you live ?

Today in History:
1812 - The first pawnbroking ordinance was passed in New York City on this day.
1836 - U.S. patent #1(after 9,957 unnumbered patents) issued for locomotive wheels
1939 - Frank Sinatra made his recording debut
1972 - Carroll Rosenbloom (owner of the Baltimore Colts) and Robert Irsay (of the Los Angeles Rams) came up with a unique trade for the NFL. The wealthy businessmen traded teams!
1977 - New York City experiences 25 hr black-out

Word of the Day:
vestigial \ve-STIJ-ee-uhl\ , adjective;
1. Relating to a body part that has lost its use because of evolutionary change.
2. Pertaining to, or of the nature of anything that is no longer present or in existence.

Today is:
National French Fries Day !!
Beans 'n' Franks Day
Pawn Shop Day
Go West Day
Fool's Paradise Day
Embrace Your Geekness Day
Puzzle Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 06:16 AM

11,874 posts, read 11,049,410 times
Think this might be a first!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwak View Post

today's question(s):
in honor of "embrace my geekness day"

ok fees up
what was the last thing you did that could have you or others saying "i (you) embraced my(your) geekness" ? I'm not really a "geek" unless we're talking about computers then I'm quite geeky lol

what was the last "geeky" thing someone in your life did ?

bonus question
in honor of french fries day ?

last time you had french fries ? About a week ago

what your favorite f/f "cut" ? I'm not picky, just bring the fries and make them crisp

if you didn't order them but your dining partner did, do you "sample" one from their plate ?

extra credit question:

is there a particular bug or insect that seems to be in abundance in your "neck of the woods" ? I'm not sure what they are, but in the evenings with the rain there have been these flying insects that have been swarming outside. Shredder almost went through the living room screen trying to get them.

is there one that is pretty much local to your state ? we have quite a few 'locals', including some of the biggest grasshoppers I've ever seen. The size of a VW

just for fun:
how do you pronounce :
pecan - peecan or pacon
vase- vase or vahse
neither - neether or nither

what do you call the red stuff you pour on your spaghetti - sauce or gravy Sauce - never heard it called gravy before.

is it soda or pop where you live ? I usually call it soda though don't drink much anymore since I hardly ever get DP

today in history:
1812 - the first pawnbroking ordinance was passed in new york city on this day.
1836 - u.s. Patent #1(after 9,957 unnumbered patents) issued for locomotive wheels choo choo
1939 - frank sinatra made his recording debut
1972 - carroll rosenbloom (owner of the baltimore colts) and robert irsay (of the los angeles rams) came up with a unique trade for the nfl. The wealthy businessmen traded teams!
1977 - new york city experiences 25 hr black-out

word of the day:
vestigial \ve-stij-ee-uhl\ , adjective;
1. Relating to a body part that has lost its use because of evolutionary change.
2. Pertaining to, or of the nature of anything that is no longer present or in existence.

today is:
national french fries day !!
Beans 'n' franks day
pawn shop day
go west day Don't think I want to go to CR today
fool's paradise day
embrace your geekness day I sure hope not - I get tired of spending hours fixing computers
puzzle day This would be almost every day
Have a great day everyone!

Last edited by JustJoy; 07-13-2010 at 06:48 AM..

Old 07-13-2010, 06:16 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,543,102 times
Rats...I stopped to answer one little question and it cost me the pole position...Joy was quicker than me!

Today's Question(s):

Ok fees up
What was the last thing you did that could have you or others saying "I (you) embraced my(your) geekness" ? I helped....ok ok.....I set up an IPOD for a co-worker yesterday.
What was the last "geeky" thing someone in your life did ? Some one set up my operating system for me.

Bonus Question

Last time you had french fries ? A month? Maybe longer.....

What your favorite F/F "cut" ? The thinner the better...like Steak-N-Shake.

If you didn't order them but your dining partner did, do you "sample" one from their plate ? No...he likes the BIG ones.

Extra Credit Question:

Is there a particular bug or insect that seems to be in abundance in your "neck of the woods" ? German Cockroaches

Just for Fun:
How do you pronounce :
Pecan - Peecan or pacon
Vase- VAse or Vahse

Have a great day everyone!

Old 07-13-2010, 06:19 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,609,085 times
Today's Question(s):

Ok fees up
What was the last thing you did that could have you or others saying "I (you) embraced my(your) geekness" ?

Probably when I was going on about Apple computers

My hubby put all of our faces into an on line Star Wars cartoon.

Bonus Question

Maybe a year ago

What your favorite F/F "cut" ?

Just plain boring regular cut. I don't know what that's called.

If you didn't order them but your dining partner did, do you "sample" one from their plate ?
I can't eat them out. I make them at home and only eat them off my own plate.
I think it's been far too long since I've made these. We'll have to have them for dinner.

Extra Credit Question:

Is there a particular bug or insect that seems to be in abundance in your "neck of the woods" ?

Big huge colorful grasshoppers at the moment.

I'm not positive, but I think there is a specific kind of non-poisonous scorpion that is exclusive to Florida.

Just for Fun:
How do you pronounce :
Pecan - Peecan or pacon pacon
Vase- VAse or Vahse VAse
Neither - Neether or Nither Neether

Sauce

Soda

Last edited by Maggi07; 07-13-2010 at 06:53 AM..

Old 07-13-2010, 06:23 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,551,576 times
Today's Question(s):

Ok fees up
What was the last thing you did that could have you or others saying "I (you) embraced my(your) geekness" ? I'd have to stop and think about these for a while.

Bonus Question

Last time you had french fries ? About a week ago I think

What your favorite F/F "cut" ? Crinkle cut

If you didn't order them but your dining partner did, do you "sample" one from their plate ? Sometimes. Don't want that one fry falling off their plate! lol

Extra Credit Question:

Is there a particular bug or insect that seems to be in abundance in your "neck of the woods" ? Ladybugs!!!!!!!!! They are everywhere at times!

Just for Fun:
How do you pronounce :
Pecan - Peecan or pacon Pacon
Vase- VAse or Vahse VAse
Neither - Neether or Nither Neether

What do you call the red stuff you pour on your spaghetti - sauce or gravy Sauce

Is it Soda or pop where you live ? Coke. "Hey, I'm going to the store. What kind of coke do you want?"

Old 07-13-2010, 06:25 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,598,917 times
What was the last thing you did that could have you or others saying "I (you) embraced my(your) geekness" ? not sure if this counts as geeky or just techy but i figured out how my peeps could get the desktop to quicklaunch in windows 7

What was the last "geeky" thing someone in your life did ? my peeps got excited about being able to quicklaunch the desktop in windows 7

Last time you had french fries ? not sure...and I love fries!

What your favorite F/F "cut" ? i like many kinds - least fav are overly soft/soggy ones...used to love Jerry's Subs plank fries.

If you didn't order them but your dining partner did, do you "sample" one from their plate ? always

Is there a particular bug or insect that seems to be in abundance in your "neck of the woods" ? i don't see many bugs

Is there one that is pretty much local to your state ? stink bugs and locusts are around

How do you pronounce :
Pecan - Peecan or pacon
Vase- VAse or Vahse

What do you call the red stuff you pour on your spaghetti - sauce or gravy unless in ny or talking to a philly/joisey goil - then sometimes gravy just to be fun

Is it Soda or pop where you live ? pop!

Old 07-13-2010, 06:28 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,338,401 times
Today's Question(s):
In Honor of "Embrace my Geekiness Day"

Ok fess up
What was the last thing you did that could have you or others saying "I (you) embraced my(your) geekiness"?

Oh, that's pretty much a daily thing for me. I guess the last big thing was working on that feminist science fiction convention; anything that results in 1,000 or so geeks from all over the world converging on a single location for a four-day marathon of collectively embracing our inner geekiness must be a pretty geeky thing to do.

What was the last "geeky" thing someone in your life did?

My whole family is made up of geeks, so it's a constant thing in our home. One recent conversation involved my sister (PhD chemist) and our daughter's boyfriend (computer game designer) discussing the visual characteristics of proteins as they react, so that the computer game designer could more accurately depict them in an educational game he's working on. Then there was the time this past weekend that my spouse (IT Manager) and our daughter (newly graduated in IT management) were debating the various merits of Windows vs. Linux. And then we had a very lively conversation with our weekly dinner guests about different Manga writers and how their works get shifted subtly when they are translated from Japanese to English. Like I said, geek is a constant theme here!

Bonus Question
In honor of French fries Day?

Last time you had french fries?

Hmmm, probably a week or so ago, when I went out to lunch with the spouse and had a patty-melt with fries.

What your favorite F/F "cut"?

Never really thought about it, but I guess in general I prefer the thicker ones where you can actually taste some potato over the skinny ones that just taste like grease and salt.

If you didn't order them but your dining partner did, do you "sample" one from their plate?

It's usually the other way around, but I have been known to do some taste-testing if someone else at the table gets fries and I don't.

Extra Credit Question:

Is there a particular bug or insect that seems to be in abundance in your "neck of the woods"?

Oh, boy...... The state bird of Wisconsin is the mosquito, and with all the rain we've had so far this summer, this is a particularly good year for them. You walk out the door and are swarmed by dozens of the things, and mowing the lawn or weeding the tomatoes can leave you downright anemic from blood loss.

Is there one that is pretty much local to your state?

I know mosquitoes aren't limited to this state, but it sure seems like Wisconsin has got more than our fair share of 'em. Anyone else here want a case or two??

Just for Fun:
How do you pronounce :
Pecan - Peecan or pacon
Pee'-kahn.
Vase- VAse or Vahse Vayse (long a sound)
Neither - Neether or Nither Ny-ther

What do you call the red stuff you pour on your spaghetti - sauce or gravy? Sauce.

Is it Soda or pop where you live? I grew up (in southeastern Michigan) calling it pop. My spouse, whose parents were from Kentucky and Missouri, calls it soda. So we use both interchangeably. I don't think I've heard locals here use one or the other term predominantly.

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 07-13-2010 at 06:40 AM..

Old 07-13-2010, 06:36 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,211,501 times
Hello everyone! We made it back from vacation now have to get back into the daily rhythm again.

Today's Question(s):

Ok fees up
There is a pic -that I will NOT share - of me making a horrible face at the Crazy Woman Cafe in Ten Sleeps, WY from our trip. I probably have a "geeky" moment every day.

Bonus Question

Thursday?? maybe

What your favorite F/F "cut" ? thin

If you didn't order them but your dining partner did, do you "sample" one from their plate ? no

Extra Credit Question:

mosquito

Just for Fun:
How do you pronounce :
Pecan - Peecan or
pacon
Vase-
VAse or Vahse
Neither -
Neether or Nither

What do you call the red stuff you pour on your spaghetti -
sauce or gravy

Is it Soda or
pop where you live ?

Today is:
National French Fries Day !! I will do my best to get some for lunch today.
Beans 'n' Franks Day DH can have my share.
Pawn Shop Day Amazing what some people will pawn (and purchase).
Go West Day WE DID! Just got back from a bike ride to Yellowstone Park, WY We put on over 2100 miles!
Fool's Paradise Day is that my house?
Embrace Your Geekness Day Ok
Puzzle Day I love doing puzzles!

Have a good day all!

Old 07-13-2010, 06:37 AM

3,273 posts, read 2,970,670 times
Today's Question(s):

Ok fees up
What was the last thing you did that could have you or others saying "I (you) embraced my(your) geekness" ? connected cable wires from a TV in our basement to a splitter and snaked it to the TV in the kitchen.

What was the last "geeky" thing someone in your life did ? I do most of the "geeky" stuff, but if I get stuck, I call my oldest to help out.

Bonus Question

Last time you had french fries ? two weeks ago

What your favorite F/F "cut" ? I like them all

If you didn't order them but your dining partner did, do you "sample" one from their plate ? my dining partner is DH, so, of course.

Extra Credit Question:

Is there a particular bug or insect that seems to be in abundance in your "neck of the woods" ? with all the hot weather we've been having, I've noticed a lot of black ants.

Just for Fun:
How do you pronounce :
Pecan - Peecan or pacon Pacon
Vase- VAse or Vahse Vahse
Neither - Neether or Nither neether

What do you call the red stuff you pour on your spaghetti - sauce or gravy sauce

Is it Soda or pop where you live ? soda

Old 07-13-2010, 06:38 AM

3,455 posts, read 2,788,138 times
good morning ...wonderful day...

Today's Question(s):

What was the last thing you did that could have you or others saying "I (you) embraced my(your) geekness" ? Mom's computer gets the best of me sometimes... stuupid computers... she hates the darn thing and I'm always trying to help her out with it...

What was the last "geeky" thing someone in your life did ? not sure....

Bonus Question
In honor of French fries Day ? this is a question?

Last time you had french fries ? sunday

What your favorite F/F "cut" ? crinkle or steak

If you didn't order them but your dining partner did, do you "sample" one from their plate ? of course

Extra Credit Question:

Is there a particular bug or insect that seems to be in abundance in your "neck of the woods" ? yes... lately its the G*^$ D#@% earwigs.. opened my laptop this morning and 4 of them crawled out... ewwww

Just for Fun:
How do you pronounce :
Pecan - Peecan or pacon
Vase- VAse or Vahse

Today is:
National French Fries Day !! - yum
Beans 'n' Franks Day
Pawn Shop Day
Go West Day
Fool's Paradise Day - I'll wish her a happy day when I see her..
Embrace Your Geekness Day
Puzzle Day

Last edited by GarlicGuy; 07-13-2010 at 06:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics