Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 09:06 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Alrighty Cala......great suggestion! Wait, can any of us be trusted reading a road map?
Ooops, maybe not. We might be headed for Maine but chances are likely we'll end up in Nebraska instead. No problem, though.... we'll just visit CunucuBeach!

Hey, who cares if we get lost, no matter what state we find ourselves in, there's bound to be a CD regular there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 01:45 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
I'm actually planning a three week cross-country trip for 2012. Me, my older son, my brother and my best friend. I've already made about a half dozen drives cross-country along I-80, I-70, I-40 (Rt. 66), and I-10. Most of them by myself.

I'd want to drive in a mid sized SUV in some degree of comfort, either that or a large luxury sedan. I was thinking of a small RV or camper, but I'd want to be able to navigate my way through random cities along the way, so a car or SUV would be more practical for me.

I'd take I-90 across the top half of the country all the way to Seattle, stopping in all the major cities along the way to do some touristy and not so touristy stuff. Find all the local favorites for restaurants, local attractions like the Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, an occasional ballgame from city to city, scenic areas like Great Bear Dunes Michigan or Yellowstone. I'd spend some time in the Northwest, maybe hike Mt. St. Helen's or Mt. Rainier.

Work my way down the west coast, camping along the way on the ocean shoreline in Oregon and California. Every other day I'd stay in a hotel for a good night's sleep and a hot shower. Every few days I'd find a spa where I could unwind with a hot tub and massage to recharge my batteries.

When I reach Southern California I'd make my way back east in a zig-zag pattern, making stops in Arizona, Utah, New Mexico, hiking the Ozarks, Memphis/Nashville, fishing in Florida, Charleston SC, and straight to the Outer Banks of NC for some camping on the beach. From there back up the coast with stops in DC, Cape May NJ, NYC, and Cape Cod.

Lot's of beach camping in tents or cabins along the way, and all the best foods each state would have to offer. BBQ, steakhouses, taco joints, pizza, seafood, etc.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:56 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
Quote:
Well, I like Nutella....but I want some beer in the cooler!

Alrighty Cala......great suggestion! Wait, can any of us be trusted reading a road map?
I can. I'm very good at reading maps. I was always the navigator on our trips when the boys were little. So, point your caravan toward SW Nebraska and I'll join you and be the navigator.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:28 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
Quote:
Well, I like Nutella....but I want some beer in the cooler!

Beer in the cooler it is!! I don't need no stinking road map!!

Old 07-16-2010, 03:14 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,580,240 times
Quote:
If you had 30 days and ample cash to take a road trip....what would your basic route be? Would you go in a motor home, rent a car, use your own vehicle, camp, stay in hotels, stay with family/friends or what?

Better question....would you take the kids? (ok...I'm kidding)
I'd use my own car. Id have my brakes done, oil filter changed, new tires, a few other things would need to be done first but I would take my own car, my 2003 Nissan Altima Me and my girl would travel the lower 48

We'd leave Las Vegas and head for LA first. Head up to San Francisco, onto Reno, Salt Lake City, Denver, Kansas City, Minneapolis, Chicago, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Albany, Boston, Connecticut, New York City, Philly, Washington DC, visit relatives in Jacksonville and Orlando, down to Miami and Key West, then back up towards Atlanta, Smyrna Tennessee (tour the Nissan Factory ) Memphis, Little Rock, Dallas/Ft Worth, Amarillo, Albuquerque, Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon, and back home to Vegas

That'd be a hell of a trip huh?

Old 07-16-2010, 01:39 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,322,446 times
If I had ample cash... then I wouldn't take a road trip! Private plane and nice hotels for me please!

Old 07-16-2010, 01:42 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,322,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
If I bring a case of Nutella, can I come?
I'll invite you in my private plane if you do!

Old 07-16-2010, 04:46 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I'd use my own car. Id have my brakes done, oil filter changed, new tires, a few other things would need to be done first but I would take my own car, my 2003 Nissan Altima Me and my girl would travel the lower 48

We'd leave Las Vegas and head for LA first. Head up to San Francisco, onto Reno, Salt Lake City, Denver, Kansas City, Minneapolis, Chicago, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Albany, Boston, Connecticut, New York City, Philly, Washington DC, visit relatives in Jacksonville and Orlando, down to Miami and Key West, then back up towards Atlanta, Smyrna Tennessee (tour the Nissan Factory ) Memphis, Little Rock, Dallas/Ft Worth, Amarillo, Albuquerque, Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon, and back home to Vegas

That'd be a hell of a trip huh?
Since you're driving through Des Moines, stop for a day.

And if the rest of you invite us on that trip you're planning, I'll bring Moon Pies!

Old 07-16-2010, 11:18 PM

4,586 posts, read 4,274,431 times
I haven't gone to many if any of our northern states, so I'd like to do the RV thing if I'm not driving, start from Washington and go east from there. Don't really want to park in the campgrounds, just want to be able to stop and rest when and wherever we can.
Normally my road trips consist of driving the car and getting motels/hotels.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:15 AM

15,927 posts, read 8,139,513 times
I wanna go! Pick me up in Funky town!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics