Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 09:06 AM

44,387 posts, read 20,111,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
YES!!!!!!!!

Please, as a fundraiser for a social services organization, I beg you: Send your donation directly to the organization that you wish to support. Bypass the telemarketers, the United Way, and even Network for Good. They all shave money right off the top of your donation; Network for Good at least allows you to pay the handling fee in addition to your donation (I think right now it's at 4 percent). The United Way in this area takes 12 percent of your donation for its administration, and that's even if you designate your gift to benefit another nonprofit directly.

There is someone at every charitable organization who will be happy to help you help the people that the organization serves. The best way you can make a monetary donation, and to ensure that your money goes directly to the organization and benefits the most people, is to write a check. Nonprofits also have to pay a fee for every credit card transaction; that's less money they have to go toward their programs that directly help people.

Thanks for posting this, Karla.
Sorry to make three posts in a row, but I've got to comment on this one, too. This is excellent information to have, OHgirl. Thanks for sharing this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 09:33 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,922,500 times
I received a letter from the American Disabled Veterans yesterday saying that they have been taken “off” the “state” list of organizations that can be used as a tax deduction should I send them a donation again this year. Simply the state of Arizona will not allow tax deductions for this organization as they have in the past.

This is how the state attempts to balance their budget by removing charitable organizations from the tax deductible list. The state also has removed all indigents who are waiting for a transplant organ from the list. They simply don’t want to provide healthcare for indigents at the state level. The people who can least afford the help are no longer able to get it.

I will continue to donate to the Disabled Vets but the state has discouraged people by not allowing a tax donation write off on state taxes. I will also continue to be an organ donor as well, it’s just sad that there may be an indigent that will not be able to receive that gift I give.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:52 AM

7,371 posts, read 6,838,227 times
I always give directly to the source. When I get phoned, I always ask how much of my money "going directly to the source". Usually they can't tell me, because it is a scam, or they are telemarketers. I have also asked for information to be mailed to me, and of course I have received nothing. I have also done alot of fundraising, and I know some people feel really bad because they have had to cut back or eliminate giving because of a change in their finances. If people can still give as themselves (ie a bit of time volunteering, we all have special talents), then that is wonderful too.

Thanks for posting this interesting information, Karla.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:08 AM

44,661 posts, read 61,743,803 times
Good reminder KWAK and all. By the way the police and firefighters do not call soliciting funds either. There are groups saying that they are calling on behalf of them but they pocket 90 percent of the money or rarely any money is given to the police or fire dept. And they usually say they will come to your address to pick up the donation. That's a tip off there to a scam. Every year around this time the news media will be reporting this racket.

We always donate directly to any charity. It's the best and safest thing to do.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:53 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,047,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Good reminder KWAK and all. By the way the police and firefighters do not call soliciting funds either. There are groups saying that they are calling on behalf of them but they pocket 90 percent of the money or rarely any money is given to the police or fire dept. And they usually say they will come to your address to pick up the donation. That's a tip off there to a scam. Every year around this time the news media will be reporting this racket.

We always donate directly to any charity. It's the best and safest thing to do.
I used to get calls from Policemen organizations and, although they tell a compelling story, I never have donated. Now I feel better about turning their pleas for money down because I don't want to donate to someone's overhead expense.

Not to highjack this thread but I wonder how much of the funding in governmental social programs actually go towards the program itself versus admin costs. Guess that would be a great thread.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:27 PM

42,000 posts, read 75,342,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I wonder how much of the funding in governmental social programs actually go towards the program itself versus admin costs.
It depends on the individual program grant. Some allow up to 15 percent; others aren't so generous. Typically government grants and contracts allow between 4 and 10 percent. A lot of contracts are shifting to fee for service vs. program grant; it's yet to be determined how that will play out when it comes to providing for administrative costs because the process is just now working itself out.

Some programs and organizations can raise additional funds to pay for administrative expenses through private donations, but some don't have that capacity. And yes, there must be funding available for administrative costs. The lights must stay on, the rent must be paid, the copier requires maintenance, and the even the proposal writer gets hungry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics