Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2011, 08:53 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,391,972 times

Advertisements

This may have been posted before by Pam maybe but I figure it's always better to be safe and aware than sorry later on.

There are some really great tips here: The best are near the end.
Common sense applied in a vigorous way.

13 THINGS YOUR BURGLAR WON'T TELL YOU

1. Of course I look familiar. I was here just last week cleaning your carpets, painting your shutters, or delivering your new refrigerator.

2. Hey, thanks for letting me use the bathroom when I was working in your yard last week. While I was in there, I unlatched the back window to make my return a little easier.

3. Love those flowers. That tells me you have taste... and taste means there are nice things inside. Those yard toys your kids leave out always make me wonder what type of gaming system they have.

4. Yes, I really do look for newspapers piled up on the driveway. And I might leave a pizza flyer in your front door to see how long it takes you to remove it..

5. If it snows while you're out of town, get a neighbor to create car and foot tracks into the house.. Virgin drifts in the driveway are a dead giveaway.

6. If decorative glass is part of your front entrance, don't let your alarm company install the control pad where I can see if it's set. That makes it too easy.

7. A good security company alarms the window over the sink. And the windows on the second floor, which often access the master bedroom - and your jewelry. It's not a bad idea to put motion detectors up there too.

8. It's raining, you're fumbling with your umbrella, and you forget to lock your door - understandable. But understand this: I don't take a day off because of bad weather.

9. I always knock first. If you answer, I'll ask for directions somewhere or offer to clean your gutters. ( Don 't take me up on it.)
10. Do you really think I won't look in your sock drawer? I always check dresser drawers, the bedside table, and the medicine cabinet.

11. Here's a helpful hint: I almost never go into kids' rooms.

12. You're right: I won't have enough time to break into that safe where you keep your valuables. But if it's not bolted down, I'll take it with me.

13. A loud TV or radio can be a better deterrent than the best alarm system. If you're reluctant to leave your TV on while you're out of town, you can buy a $35 device that works on a timer and simulates the flickering glow of a real television. (Find it at http://www.faketv/.com/ (broken link))

8 MORE THINGS A BURGLAR WON'T TELL YOU:

1. Sometimes, I carry a clipboard. Sometimes, I dress like a lawn guy and carry a rake. I do my best to never, ever look like a crook.

2. The two things I hate most: loud dogs and nosy neighbors.

3. I'll break a window to get in, even if it makes a little noise. If your neighbor hears one loud sound, he'll stop what he's doing and wait to hear it again. If he doesn't hear it again, he'll just go back to what he was doing. It's human nature.

4. I'm not complaining, but why would you pay all that money for a fancy alarm system and leave your house without setting it?

5. I love looking in your windows. I'm looking for signs that you're home, and for flat screen TVs or gaming systems I'd like. I'll drive or walk through your neighborhood at night, before you close the blinds, just to pick my targets.

6. Avoid announcing your vacation on your Facebook page. It's easier than you think to look up your address.

7. To you, leaving that window open just a crack during the day is a way to let in a little fresh air. To me, it's an invitation.

8. If you don't answer when I knock, I try the door. Occasionally, I hit the jackpot and walk right in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 10:16 AM

15,927 posts, read 8,138,230 times
OMG Lisa, these are great tips!!!

Fortunately, we have never had our house broken in to. Our house is at the end of a dead end street, and you can not see it from the road, we usually keep our gate locked, and a no trespassing sign on the fence.. Before Christmas, the gate wasn't locked & a truck came up with two men inside. I was talking to my friend on my cel phone at the time, and one of the men came up to my front door. He said he had a roofing job to do for someone on my road. I asked him what was the name & address of this customer. He said he didn't know. I then told him, he was trespassing on my property and he needed to get off immediately. I'm glad I had my cel phone in my hand, with my g.f. on the line. Even though he was polite, and got in his truck and left, I have no doubt he was there to case out my place, and probably even rob it.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:19 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
Great tip about burglars looking for virgin snow. I just passed that tip onto my friend on the Nova forum.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:20 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,880,923 times
I agree,,, very good thread & post!

Old 01-12-2011, 10:38 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,206,409 times
So far, the houses I've lived in have been safe. <fingers crossed>

The storage units I have used from time to time are another matter. I have had storage units burglarized TWICE. One time by the storage unit manager himself. Another time the lock was just cut off by someone and the manager caught it herself very quickly. Lost a lot of valuable items both times.

Fortunately, homeowners insurance will cover storage unit thefts but money is small compensation for items that have been in the family for decades or longer.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:11 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,880,923 times
You know there’s something wrong when you’ve arrived home only to find that your house was burglarized, drawers opened and items tossed around, rooms in total disarray, and you noticed that “nothing” was taken after you find a note that was left behind saying how sorry they are that you didn’t have anything worth stealing.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:42 PM

12,114 posts, read 15,000,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
You know there’s something wrong when you’ve arrived home only to find that your house was burglarized, drawers opened and items tossed around, rooms in total disarray, and you noticed that “nothing” was taken after you find a note that was left behind saying how sorry they are that you didn’t have anything worth stealing.
now that would be my house!!

Old 01-12-2011, 04:39 PM

27,343 posts, read 27,395,534 times
Funny this came up. But about 20 or so years ago I knew a family who were JWs...meaning they don't do Xmas. Point being was they took off one afternoon to spend a day with the in-laws, just before Xmas they came home and the house was broke into but it turned out the thieves only got a portable radio and a chesap 19 inch tv. That was it. No presents or anything expensive, as this family really didn't have much of anything anyway. Lots of things in the house was tossed but surprisingly, they had bookshelves full of literature and magazines, and none of it was dis-shanbled at all.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:10 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,831,245 times
These are all great suggestions...in many places "burglars" also love to read the obituaries to see what date funerals have been set for and then watch family members houses for an opportunity to rob them. Totally pathetic. Great post, Lisa.

Old 01-15-2011, 02:21 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,180 times
very helpful list, thanks.

I've got dogs, no one would come in here without a whip and a chair..smile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics