Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 01:10 AM

44,359 posts, read 20,063,008 times

Advertisements

Weekend greetings, kids! Scroll on down for Today's Tip.

HOMEMADE LUMINARIES

I love the sight of luminaries outdoors after dark. They have an aura of peace and tranquility. They can be used year-round, regardless of the temperature. They can be placed along your sidewalk or driveway, in your garden or anywhere on your lawn. (But avoid putting them on the lawn if your area is in drought and the ground is very dry.) You can even place them in snow.

Luminaries can be plain or decorated. For a simple luminary, start with a paper sack. Lunch size is best, but any size will do. Put 1/2 to 1 inch of sand or fine dirt in the bottom of the bag. You can even use gravel if you'd like. Stick a tea light or votive candle into the sand and light it. Voila! You have a luminary which will stay lit for several hours - sometimes all night if you use a votive-size candle.

It's fun to decorate luminaries. You can draw or paint pictures on them, use stickers or glue ribbons on them. Use your imagination! Using scissors, you can cut some holes in the bag - stars, circles, diamonds - whatever floats your boat! The holes make the light look really cool. Or use a hole punch to make lots of small holes.

This is a great project you can do with your kids or grandkids. If you feel it's not safe to use candles, you can place glow sticks inside the bags instead. The light isn't quite as bright, nor does it last as long or flicker as a candle does, but the bags still look pretty with glow sticks in them.

If you use gravel to stabilize your luminary, you'll probably need to put your candle in a small glass holder before placing it in the bag. Otherwise, it might fall over.

Caution: Never put a luminary with a lit candle in it on a wooden porch or deck or right next to your house. Safety first!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:15 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Great ideas Pam! These floating ones would be nice!

"I See the Light" from Disney's Tangled (Actual movie clip) - YouTube

Talk about setting fire to the rain!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 05:00 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,893,838 times
The photo looks very nice! A great project to work with the kids.....

Old 01-05-2013, 06:50 AM

11,874 posts, read 11,046,770 times
Back when I was married and actually entertained my son helped me do this and really looked nice. Was pretty inexpensive too.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:41 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
I had some out for Halloween one year and the wind caught a couple on fire so I use the flameless candles in them now. I also make ice candles for NYE and use the flameless candles in those as well. There's just something about frozen water illuminated by a soft glow. I was driving home from work on Christmas Eve and someone in this really beautiful old house had luminaries all the way from the street to the front door on both sides of the sidewalk. I couldn't tell if there were real candles or not, but what a sight. Thanks Pam for another great tip.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:00 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
We will put them out on Christmas Eve, however instead of sand or dirt we use bird seed. A large bag isn't that expensive and it's something that they (birds) enjoy if a bag spills or breaks open; otherwise the leftover bags get picked up and go to the local landfill where birds enjoy the seed. It's easy, inexpensive and environmentally friendly.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:24 AM

7,336 posts, read 2,742,977 times
Luminarias supposedly originated in Santa Fe, NM. Residents of Santa Fe call them farolitos while everyone else in the state calls them luminarias. I can remember when I was a little girl my parents would take us to Santa Fe and all around Albuquerque to see all the farolito and luminaria displays. Old Town in Albuquerque has a wonderful display every year.

Thanks for the tip, Pam.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:34 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,250,958 times
I like opening PJ's tip posts with the graphic at the top. Sometimes I get to wonder exactly what it is and this one could have been a caravan of cheese!

Luminaries are beautiful outside and the floaters look delightful in a pool. This one is a great idea for a kid's project! They get to enjoy the beauty of their finished work and learn more about safety and what *not* to do with a flame.

Along with sand and gravel you can always use kitty litter!

Old 01-05-2013, 11:12 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
I have photos somewhere of ones my daughter did a few years back.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:25 PM

72,417 posts, read 18,202,018 times
I only saw luminarias for the Cancer walk but haven't seen one lined up like that.It is gorgeous though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics