Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 11:08 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,336,746 times

Advertisements

Good Sunday morning, all! It is a real scorcher in south-central Wisconsin – we’re expecting highs in the upper 90s with heat indices in the triple digits today and all week long. We finally broke down and hauled the window AC units in from the garage this weekend because it’s just too hot to sleep otherwise.

It’s a busy weekend in the BookWorm household; we came home on Saturday with a newly adopted middle-aged kitty, another tuxedo-clad love sponge just like his adoptive brother Finn. We’re keeping new kitty sequestered in the spare bedroom for a few days, until he gets acclimated to the house and to us, and so far he is settling in very well, though he and Finn have already “had words” through the bedroom door. In time I think they’ll become good friends, but Finn is still deeply dubious at this point.

But enough about that – you didn’t stop by for kitty stories! Let’s all take a few moments to talk and laugh together about:

Today’s Question(s):

Have you ever gotten yourself turned around and headed in the completely wrong direction when you were driving somewhere?

How far had you gotten when you realized that you were going the wrong way?

Did you try to pass it off to the others in the car as “taking the scenic route” or a similar explanation?

Bonus Question:

When was the last time you visited the dentist?

When the dentist asks you how often you floss, do you:
Tell the truth?
Fib just a little?
Fib a whole lot?

Extra Credit Question:

When was the last time you bought a greeting card?

Do you buy greeting cards for:
Birthdays?
Anniversaries?
Get well wishes?
Fathers’/Mothers’ Day?
Just because?
Other?

Just for Fun:

Are you older or younger than the original Disneyland in California?

Today in History

1717 – The premiere of Georg Friedrich Händel’s Water Music, played by 50 musicians on a barge floating down the River Thames while King George I listened happily
1867 – The Harvard School of Dental Medicine is established in Boston, the first dental school in the U.S.
1918 – Tsar Nicholas II of Russia and his family are killed in Ekaterinaburg, Russia
1938 – Pilot Douglas Corrigan takes off from Brooklyn heading for California but flies in the wrong direction and winds up in Ireland, thus earning the nickname “Wrong Way” Corrigan
1944 – The Port Chicago disaster: near San Francisco Bay, two ammunition-laden ships explode in Port Chicago, California, killing 320
1955 – Disneyland is dedicated and opened by Walt Disney in Anaheim, California, with a special televised “International Press Preview” anchored by Ronald Reagan, Art Linkletter and Bob Cummings
1975 – An American Apollo spacecraft docks in orbit with a Soviet Soyuz spacecraft, the first ever such link-up between spacecraft from the two nations
1989 – First flight of the B-2 Spirit “Stealth” bomber
1997 – The F.W. Woolworth Company closes after 117 years in business

Today’s Word
Cruciverbalist \krōō sə vûr bə lĭst\ noun
1. A constructor of crossword puzzles
2. An enthusiast of word games, especially of crosswords

Today is:
POW-MIA Recognition Day
Canada’s Parks Day
Wrong Way Day
National Peach Ice Cream Day
Yellow Pig Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 11:09 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
Today’s Question(s):

Have you ever gotten yourself turned around and headed in the completely wrong direction when you were driving somewhere?
Nope!

Did you try to pass it off to the others in the car as “taking the scenic route” or a similar explanation?
Nope ...my sense of direction is flawless!

Bonus Question:

Months..
Tell the truth?
Fib just a little?
Fib a whole lot?

Extra Credit Question:

Birthdays?
Anniversaries?
Get well wishes?
Fathers’/Mothers’ Day?
Just because?
Other?
I forget

Just for Fun:

About the same! O.K. Older!

Today in History

1717 – The premiere of Georg Friedrich Händel’s Water Music, played by 50 musicians on a barge floating down the River Thames while King George I listened happily
1867 – The Harvard School of Dental Medicine is established in Boston, the first dental school in the U.S.
1918 – Tsar Nicholas II of Russia and his family are killed in Ekaterinaburg, Russia Anastashia
1938 – Pilot Douglas Corrigan takes off from Brooklyn heading for California but flies in the wrong direction and winds up in Ireland, thus earning the nickname “Wrong Way” Corrigan
1944 – The Port Chicago disaster: near San Francisco Bay, two ammunition-laden ships explode in Port Chicago, California, killing 320 Bad deal ...read all about it!
1955 – Disneyland is dedicated and opened by Walt Disney in Anaheim, California, with a special televised “International Press Preview” anchored by Ronald Reagan, Art Linkletter and Bob Cummings
1975 – An American Apollo spacecraft docks in orbit with a Soviet Soyuz spacecraft, the first ever such link-up between spacecraft from the two nations
1989 – First flight of the B-2 Spirit “Stealth” bomber$$$$$$$$$

Today’s Word

Today is:
POW-MIA Recognition Day
Canada’s Parks Day
Wrong Way Day
Yellow Pig Day

Old 07-16-2011, 11:18 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times
Good Sunday morning, all! It is a real scorcher in south-central Wisconsin – we’re expecting highs in the upper 90s with heat indices in the triple digits today and all week long. We finally broke down and hauled the window AC units in from the garage this weekend because it’s just too hot to sleep otherwise.

It’s a busy weekend in the BookWorm household; we came home on Saturday with a newly adopted middle-aged kitty, another tuxedo-clad love sponge just like his adoptive brother Finn. We’re keeping new kitty sequestered in the spare bedroom for a few days, until he gets acclimated to the house and to us, and so far he is settling in very well, though he and Finn have already “had words” through the bedroom door. In time I think they’ll become good friends, but Finn is still deeply dubious at this point.

But enough about that – you didn’t stop by for kitty stories! Let’s all take a few moments to talk and laugh together about:

Today’s Question(s):

Have you ever gotten yourself turned around and headed in the completely wrong direction when you were driving somewhere? Yes.

How far had you gotten when you realized that you were going the wrong way? Several hours leaving out of Knoxville, Tn.

Did you try to pass it off to the others in the car as “taking the scenic route” or a similar explanation? It actually was the Clinche Mountain Scenic route.

Bonus Question:

When was the last time you visited the dentist? July 12, 11

Tell the truth?
Fib just a little?
Fib a whole lot?

Extra Credit Question:

When was the last time you bought a greeting card? Years

Birthdays?
Anniversaries?
Get well wishes?
Fathers’/Mothers’ Day?
Just because?
Other? I don't as I leave such to my wife to handle.

Just for Fun:

Are you older or younger than the original Disneyland in California? Older

Today in History

1918 – Tsar Nicholas II of Russia and his family are killed in Ekaterinaburg, Russia
1944 – The Port Chicago disaster: near San Francisco Bay, two ammunition-laden ships explode in Port Chicago, California, killing 320

Today’s Word

Today is:
POW-MIA Recognition Day
Canada’s Parks Day
Wrong Way Day
Yellow Pig Day But I want a lean white Yorkshire.

Last edited by Nomadicus; 07-16-2011 at 11:27 PM..

Old 07-16-2011, 11:20 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,917,274 times
Good morning to all. Thought I'd check QOTD before hitting the rack tonight. Almost got another pole (congrat's SatX)!!!

Today’s Question(s):

I did that a couple of months ago. I was on business near Toronto and had to leave the office to drop some folks at the airport. Coming out of the airport, I took the wrong freeway and had to go a few miles before I could turn it around and get back to the right area where I should have been.

Immediately!

Luckily I was by myself!

Bonus Question:

Not as recently as they would prefer.

Tell the truth?
Fib just a little?
Fib a whole lot?

Extra Credit Question:

DS's recent birthday in early July.

Birthdays?
Anniversaries?
Get well wishes?
Fathers’/Mothers’ Day?
Just because?
Other?

Just for Fun:

I'm newer!!!

Today is:
POW-MIA Recognition Day Hero's indeed!!!
Canada’s Parks Day They've got some good ones!
Wrong Way Day Happens to the best of us!
National Peach Ice Cream Day No thanks
Yellow Pig Day

Have a terrific Sunday, everyone! Thanks for QOTD, MBW!

Old 07-16-2011, 11:42 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Today’s Question(s):

Have you ever gotten yourself turned around and headed in the completely wrong direction when you were driving somewhere? All the time, especially traveling in unfamiliar territory. The older you get the more it happens. I drive my GPS lady nuts, "recalculating".

How far had you gotten when you realized that you were going the wrong way? One time about 20 miles.

Did you try to pass it off to the others in the car as “taking the scenic route” or a similar explanation? No.

Bonus Question:

When was the last time you visited the dentist? April.

Tell the truth? Yes, I floss daily.
Fib just a little?
Fib a whole lot?

Extra Credit Question:

When was the last time you bought a greeting card? Yesterday, actually spouse did, I suggested it.

Birthdays?
Anniversaries?
Get well wishes?
Fathers’/Mothers’ Day?
Just because?
Other? Thankyou's, congratulation on your new home, etc.

Just for Fun:

Are you older or younger than the original Disneyland in California? I went to the grand opening, does that tell you something.

Have a nice 'cruciverbalist' day...

Old 07-17-2011, 12:04 AM

44,359 posts, read 20,066,476 times
Today’s Question(s):

Have you ever gotten yourself turned around and headed in the completely wrong direction when you were driving somewhere? Oh, yes. Many times! A few months ago I bought a GPS, and it has been a real godsend!

How far had you gotten when you realized that you were going the wrong way? Maybe one-half mile.

Did you try to pass it off to the others in the car as “taking the scenic route” or a similar explanation? Nah.

Bonus Question:
When was the last time you visited the dentist? In June.

Tell the truth? Yes.
Fib just a little?
Fib a whole lot?

Extra Credit Question:
When was the last time you bought a greeting card? Thursday.

Birthdays? Yes.
Anniversaries? No.
Get well wishes? Yes.
Fathers’/Mothers’ Day? No.
Just because? Yes.
Other? Yes. Sympathy; loss of pet.
I buy and mail lots and lots of cards. I really should have stock in the card companies.

Just for Fun:
Are you older or younger than the original Disneyland in California? One year older.

Today in History
1717 – The premiere of Georg Friedrich Händel’s Water Music, played by 50 musicians on a barge floating down the River Thames while King George I listened happily I love Händel.
1938 – Pilot Douglas Corrigan takes off from Brooklyn heading for California but flies in the wrong direction and winds up in Ireland, thus earning the nickname “Wrong Way” Corrigan I've heard the name, "Wrong Way Corrigan," but never knew where it came from!
1989 – First flight of the B-2 Spirit “Stealth” bomber I've seen these up close. They are way, WAY cool!

Today’s Word
I love to play Scrabble. Does that count?

Today is:
POW-MIA Recognition Day
Canada’s Parks Day I love Canada!
Wrong Way Day Been there; done that!
National Peach Ice Cream Day No, thanks. I'd rather have vanilla or chocolate.
Yellow Pig Day I would like a yellow pig!

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-17-2011 at 12:22 AM..

Old 07-17-2011, 12:24 AM

452 posts, read 310,686 times
Happy Sunday Morning Everyone. Replying early today
Going to bed right after this as it is 2:20am right now

Today’s Question(s):

Have you ever gotten yourself turned around and headed in the completely wrong direction when you were driving somewhere? Nooooope

Bonus Question:

When was the last time you visited the dentist? 4-ish months ago. I go again in September.

Tell the truth? I tell the truth.
Fib just a little?
Fib a whole lot?

Extra Credit Question:

When was the last time you bought a greeting card? 5 months ago for Valentine's Day.

Birthdays?
Anniversaries?
Get well wishes?
Fathers’/Mothers’ Day?
Just because?
Other?

Just for Fun:

Are you older or younger than the original Disneyland in California? Hm... I think younger... by a lot.

Today in History

Today’s Word

Today is:
POW-MIA Recognition Day
Canada’s Parks Day
Wrong Way Day
Yellow Pig Day

Goodnight everyone

Old 07-17-2011, 01:36 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
...It’s a busy weekend in the BookWorm household; we came home on Saturday with a newly adopted middle-aged kitty, another tuxedo-clad love sponge just like his adoptive brother Finn. We’re keeping new kitty sequestered in the spare bedroom for a few days, until he gets acclimated to the house and to us, and so far he is settling in very well, though he and Finn have already “had words” through the bedroom door. In time I think they’ll become good friends, but Finn is still deeply dubious at this point. ...
They'll need to get used to each other, decide who's boss. Just like people, but with more hissing.

Today’s Question(s):
Yes, I have.
Not far.
Nah, everyone who drives in unfamiliar territory can get lost.

Bonus Question:
Am due for a check up, was going to make an appointment for the week of the 25th. Too busy this week.
I floss daily. No really.

Extra Credit Question:
Father's day.
Birthdays? yes
Anniversaries? yes
Get well wishes? sometimes
Fathers’/Mothers’ Day? yes

Just for Fun:
I'm younger.

Today is:
POW-MIA Recognition Day

Old 07-17-2011, 02:40 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,488,671 times
Today’s Question(s):

Yes, just this weekend. My daughter lives in Brisbane where the signposting is so bad (like non-existent) that every time I go there I threaten to write a very strong letter to their state government roads department. They don't even provide directional signs (north, south, east west) - just street names and suburbs, which mean nothing at all to the casual visitor.

In many, many miles of driving in the USA, we found Nashville the hardest - we spent hours on that arterial freeway trying to find the way to our destination!
We'd jump off at what we thought was the right exit, drive round for a bit, then find ourselves on the on ramp back to the same freeway with no opportunity to escape!

This weekend I figured it out fairly quickly, but had to keep driving for miles until I found a signpost with a town name I recognised.

LOL I was alone - which is probably just as well.

Bonus Question:

Last week.

Tell the truth?
This
Fib just a little?
Fib a whole lot?

Extra Credit Question:

About a month ago. I'm not very good at remembering these sorts of things, but my daughter called to remind me to send a birthday card for her S.O.

Birthdays?
If I remember (or am reminded)!
Anniversaries?
Not usually
Get well wishes?
Haven't needed one of these for a long time
Fathers’/Mothers’ Day?
Hmmm, nope - weird relationship with parents
Just because?
Used to when I was much younger
Other?

Just for Fun:

Older - sigh.

Have a great Sunday!

Last edited by Kobber; 07-17-2011 at 02:57 AM..

Old 07-17-2011, 03:45 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,871,132 times
Today’s Question(s):

Have you ever gotten yourself turned around and headed in the completely wrong direction when you were driving somewhere? Haha. Quite often, actually. My sense of direction is not good. I only use a GPS when driving to Boston or NYC. Other than when going to the city I don't mind getting lost. I once found a beautiful cove in Acadia because of being lost. Couldn't find it again if I tried, I'm sure.

How far had you gotten when you realized that you were going the wrong way? Usually depends on if someone is with me & we're talking.

Did you try to pass it off to the others in the car as “taking the scenic route” or a similar explanation? I usually do take the scenic route, or do when not needing to be somewhere. Growing up, my dad took us for Sunday rides. Usually on back roads. I wasn't impressed then, but now I go on my own.

Bonus Question:

When was the last time you visited the dentist? A little more than 6 months ago. I had an appointment a couple weeks ago that had to be rescheduled.

Tell the truth
Fib just a little?
Fib a whole lot?

Extra Credit Question:

When was the last time you bought a greeting card? Don't remember.

Birthdays?
Anniversaries?
Get well wishes?
Fathers’/Mothers’ Day?
Just because.... more this than anything else.
Other?

Just for Fun:

Older, but not much!

The sun is coming up & it's looking like a beautiful day. My daughter & her husband have decided to check out the movie theatre that recently reopened after a fire. This means I will be taking my older grand daughter (2 yrs.) to the concert at St. Gaudens. Should be fun! Have a great day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics