Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2011, 08:06 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,041,341 times

Advertisements

If you happen upon a City Data thread, in any forum, with a lot of pages, do you:

Dive in without reading other posts?

Think you already posted to it or know you already posted to it but don't want to go through all of the pages to find out what you said?

Think you are too late to the conversation and don't bother?

Start reading all of it?

Something else?

How many pages is your tolerance for jumping into a thread?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 08:13 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,898,206 times
For me, I look at the forum and find threads that are of interest to me. I don’t (can’t find the time) to read a long long list of pages for a thread that isn’t a subject that interests me, thus I tend to look at the first post and maybe the last page of the thread. Then add my two cents if it’s something that I want to comment on.

Some threads are simply too time consuming unless they’re special.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:22 AM

15,927 posts, read 8,142,055 times
LoL!

Funny you should ask, Laura. When I have plenty of time to kill and I'm on CD I'll scan all the topics I'm interested. If I find a title that looks interesting, and has a ton of pages, I'll read the last page and if that interests me I'll go a few pages back. Then if I'm really interested, I'll go to the first page and start reading forward. Usually by the tenth page or so I get bored and quit reading.

I can only think of a couple threads that I've stuck out, saved, and went back too. They almost always are humorous ones, not serious ones. The one that comes to mind, was one in the Alaska forum a few years back when some guy had everyone up in arms because of the crazy way he wanted to live in the wild in Alaska. He wanted all his supplies dropped out of a plane tied on to a large pallet. Wish I could find it, I'd like to read it again.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:30 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,232,382 times
It depends on who started it, what the topic was and what group was doing the replying.

I'm more prone to read all the pages on Other Topics/Community Chats because I have friends there and want to see what their response was.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:03 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,540,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
If you happen upon a City Data thread, in any forum, with a lot of pages, do you:

Think you already posted to it or know you already posted to it but don't want to go through all of the pages to find out what you said?
You can tell if you posted on a thread by looking at the envelope icon on the far left. If there's an arrow on it, you have posted in it. If you hover over the arrow, it will tell you how many times you've posted in the thread and when your latest post was.
I did that once on the Answer with the title of a song thread-- Yikes!

Old 11-07-2011, 09:15 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,340,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
You can tell if you posted on a thread by looking at the envelope icon on the far left. If there's an arrow on it, you have posted in it. If you hover over the arrow, it will tell you how many times you've posted in the thread and when your latest post was.
If you want to actually find that post more quickly than scanning through dozens of pages, instead of hovering your mouse over the envelope with the bent arrow on the left-hand side of the screen, look at the right-hand side of the screen at the field that shows how many total replies were made in the post. If you look closely, you'll see that it's a link. If you click on that number, a window will open up with the names of everyone who has posted in that thread, and the number of posts that each of them made. In that window, once you locate your own user-name, click on the number again (this time the number of posts you made), and those posts will be displayed in a search format mode, so you can go directly to any of them you wish.

In answer to the OP's question, it depends on the topic, who's replying, and the tone of the conversation. Threads that degenerate into sniping or backbiting get ignored, likewise threads that are trite and irrelevant or otherwise a waste of time. There are a few threads, though, that will capture and hold me for as long as it takes to read through every post on every page.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:36 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,041,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
I did that once on the Answer with the title of a song thread-- Yikes!
I click on the number of responses to a thread and get the same info but when I see 10 pages, I don't want read through the 10 pages to find out what I said or when I said it or if anyone else said what I want to say. I just quit.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:47 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,031,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

Dive in without reading other posts?

Think you are too late to the conversation and don't bother?

Start reading all of it?

Something else?

How many pages is your tolerance for jumping into a thread?
Depends upon the subject matter ... If the thread is about a topic that is engaging, I'll read the whole darned thing but often start posting responses as I see them before reading the entire thing. If its a topic that moderately appeals to me, I'll read some at the beginning then jump to the more recent posts. It really depends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics