Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 08:55 AM

7,724 posts, read 12,617,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Can we speak things into existence? Some people pray for things to occur in their lives, sounds like the same to me.
Wow. It is not the same at all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 04:14 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,876,338 times
^^^ Interesting,,,, why would you say they are not the same at all? Positive thinking or praying for something seems to be very similar except you might say that an atheist has positive thinking and a Christian would be praying.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:21 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,223,031 times
Sure, positive thoughts are good but nothing beats good, old fashioned work.

I can talk for weeks about how I want a new truck and yet, still sitting in my driveway is my old trusty rusty.

Although today I mentioned I wasn't in the mood to cook dinner and my son offered to go get pizza

Old 01-18-2012, 04:25 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
^^^ Interesting,,,, why would you say they are not the same at all? Positive thinking or praying for something seems to be very similar except you might say that an atheist has positive thinking and a Christian would be praying.
Aks...I think the OP is referring to "The Almighty Creator" who by His words alone...the world as we know it came into being...
Genesis 1:3 God said...let there be light: and there was light.

Old 06-20-2016, 06:57 AM

1 posts, read 338 times
Question folks. I'd like for those in this community to help me help someone else. You see her problem is that she takes the belief of speaking something into existence out of context. Example of a situation where we were having a conversation me knowing that things getting to a place where we were going to have to agree to disagree I made the statement in the conversation simply saying ( I didn't want to fight ) when I said that the person I was talking to then said by me saying that it means that we going to fight since I was putting that out into the universe.

Correct me if I'm wrong but when we are speaking things into existence making statements of non violence shouldn't insue the very thing we are speaking against right? I told the person in question that because I say I don't want to fight doesn't mean we will fight. In the way (she) belives speaking things into existence statements can to bring what is said into existence even if your stating you don't want to fight yet a fight is what you'l get. I'm going to put this the nicest way possible without trying to offend the person I know that has such a bad idea of how speaking things into existence works, but ((That's F'ing Wrong)) right? I'm I right by saying she is completely taking speaking things into existence out of context or what? Because it makes no since how a person can say they don't want to fight but the other person basically fights because of a statement made on not wanting to fight. It makes no since to me and i'd like if folks can help me help my friend who doesn't seem to have a good understanding on the proper way to speaking things into existence.

Last edited by T_mart; 06-20-2016 at 07:08 AM..

Old 06-20-2016, 11:16 AM

13,624 posts, read 10,025,945 times
Only if the right people are listening, or God.

You can definitely speak things out of existence, ruin lives with negativity, and sap people's will to succeed.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:43 PM

46 posts, read 45,634 times
A good motto:

Control the Controllables
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics