Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you placed any CD members on Ignore
Yes. More than one. 12 16.22%
Yes. Just one poster that was driving me crazy. 6 8.11%
Whoa, you can DO that?! I haven't yet but I'm going to right now once I figure out how! 1 1.35%
No. I would if I felt the need, but I haven't yet. 21 28.38%
No. I like seeing every post and thread regardless of how much it may irritate me. 34 45.95%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 09:20 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,410,370 times

Advertisements

I wasn't sure whether to place this in the About The Forum subforum so a moderator can feel free to move it, but that forum I felt was more about technical issues and questions about the running of the board and rules so this didn't seem to fit.

I was just curious to see how many people here have placed one or more posters on Ignore in their profiles. For those of you who don't know, it basically renders a certain user invisible so that you no longer have to see their posts should you choose not to.

In all of my time on various message boards, I've never really felt the urge to put anyone on Ignore. For whatever reason though, lately I have been debating doing so with some people on this board. There are just a handful of people who I just cannot stand who have really been grating on me lately. There is of course self-censoring that can be practiced, which is why I simply don't even venture over to the Politics subforum, but it seems that there are a few posters on this board whose posts just leave my blood boiling, and whose posts I seem unable to avoid. Part of me feels like in placing them on Ignore, it would be an act of censorship and in general, I like hearing things unfiltered. By the same token however, my whole thing with message boards is that they're a place just to unwind and relax, learn and give some knowledge, trade some quips, and just have in general a light-hearted and/or informative time. I never want time spent online to negatively impact my real offline life in any way, whether that be in spending too much time on a board and shortchanging my real life friends, or whether it being my signing off from a message board irritated and steaming due to what I've read. There's plenty of stress and things to get mad about in my real life, that I don't like polluting my leisure time with such mess, so as such, I'm thinking for the first time ever of putting a good number of posters on Ignore just to make my web-surfing experience a more enjoyable one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 10:10 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,212,772 times
The problem with the Ignore feature is that you can still see the responses to that post and if you are like me, you are too nosy to not know what was said. And then others may quote that poster and it won't be ignored in that post.

I ran into one person early on that I did put on ignore but it didn't last long. I had to unignore that person for the above reasons. I still don't care for that person's posts and avoid reading them as much as possible but I don't have them on ignore.

As to the Politics and Religion forums, I avoid those two as much as possible. I found I don't have the temperament for most of the posts in those two sections. Liz

Old 09-04-2007, 12:28 AM

1,048 posts, read 4,350,227 times
No, not on CD (yet). So far every one is nice and polite compared to all other forums (mainly in the IT area) I have been on. On the other forums, I had some people on ignore but in the end just left the forum for a nicer place (here).

Old 09-04-2007, 12:32 AM

1,308 posts, read 3,408,179 times
Atleast 20 so far. Like southernlady said, it's too bad that when someone quotes your ignored user, their post shows up.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:04 AM

1,076 posts, read 3,557,421 times
Ok, who's got me on ignore

Old 09-04-2007, 01:23 AM

1,489 posts, read 8,808,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
I wasn't sure whether to place this in the About The Forum subforum so a moderator can feel free to move it, but that forum I felt was more about technical issues and questions about the running of the board and rules so this didn't seem to fit.

I was just curious to see how many people here have placed one or more posters on Ignore in their profiles. For those of you who don't know, it basically renders a certain user invisible so that you no longer have to see their posts should you choose not to.

In all of my time on various message boards, I've never really felt the urge to put anyone on Ignore. For whatever reason though, lately I have been debating doing so with some people on this board. There are just a handful of people who I just cannot stand who have really been grating on me lately. There is of course self-censoring that can be practiced, which is why I simply don't even venture over to the Politics subforum, but it seems that there are a few posters on this board whose posts just leave my blood boiling, and whose posts I seem unable to avoid. Part of me feels like in placing them on Ignore, it would be an act of censorship and in general, I like hearing things unfiltered. By the same token however, my whole thing with message boards is that they're a place just to unwind and relax, learn and give some knowledge, trade some quips, and just have in general a light-hearted and/or informative time. I never want time spent online to negatively impact my real offline life in any way, whether that be in spending too much time on a board and shortchanging my real life friends, or whether it being my signing off from a message board irritated and steaming due to what I've read. There's plenty of stress and things to get mad about in my real life, that I don't like polluting my leisure time with such mess, so as such, I'm thinking for the first time ever of putting a good number of posters on Ignore just to make my web-surfing experience a more enjoyable one.
I bet you put me on ignore.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:01 AM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,797,300 times
Is someone in need of PRAYER here ???

Okay, YES, I admit, I have put numerous folks on IGNORE in the past and recently I've been feeling the same as DNB about some posters and I'm not enjoying coming here as much due to their constant rantings .

But this time, I'm taking it as a sign from God to focus back on my real life versus just using the IGNORE feature . I have to ask myself whether any of this stuff on CDF is really helping me to be the person I want to be ? CDF is kind of like eating chocolate ! Initially it tastes real good, you get the HIGH, but then the body reacts to it and then, not so great !

Well folks, that was my sermon for today . Church is now dismissed . Please shake hands with your fellow parishoners and leave your tithe in the box on the way out .

~HDL~

p.s.
Please don't SHOOT the messenger !!!

Last edited by HDL; 09-04-2007 at 02:52 AM..

Old 09-04-2007, 02:27 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,405,405 times
What a bizarre notion that you think ignoring someone is a form of censorship. Nobody is entitled to your time or an audience.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:31 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,336,146 times
I have 2 people on ignore. Every new years day i remove anyone on my list to give them a chance to start over.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:57 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,087,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post

In all of my time on various message boards, I've never really felt the urge to put anyone on Ignore. For whatever reason though, lately I have been debating doing so with some people on this board.
Ditto.
But I won't ever do it, partly because one or two have either been banned or gone away, not sure, and partly because of the various reasons mentioned, Ignore doesn't really work.
Sometimes you just have to take a break--or leave.
I left another board a couple months ago.
Haven't even peeked at it since my departure.
I know I could leave this one if it became necessary.
(Of course I hope this doesn't happen!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics