Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 01:29 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,333,867 times

Advertisements

I've noticed on many of the forums that people in new areas often encounter new insects or rodents or snakes, etc.
I know when I lived on the shores of Lake Erie we couldn't really enjoy the beach until the black fly season was over. We also had to get used to the mufflehead and mayfly season.
Here in Florida I think I dislike the ants the most--fire ants and, especially, the sugar ants. I thought I had the sugar ants completely under control, but the last few weeks they've been driving me crazy.
What kinds of pesty pests lurk around where you live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2006, 01:36 PM

183 posts, read 1,263,441 times
I live in Florida and I hate,hate,hate the mosquitos we have about 50 of them living outside our front door. We have to run to get inside the house so they wont come in. The county use to spray but I haven't seen them in a couple of years.

Old 09-14-2006, 01:45 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,328,480 times
My husband!!!

Seriously we have those hundred leggers, earwigs, spiders of course, giganto misquitoes...

Old 09-14-2006, 02:08 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,471,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grammy164 View Post
I've noticed on many of the forums that people in new areas often encounter new insects or rodents or snakes, etc.
I know when I lived on the shores of Lake Erie we couldn't really enjoy the beach until the black fly season was over. We also had to get used to the mufflehead and mayfly season.
Here in Florida I think I dislike the ants the most--fire ants and, especially, the sugar ants. I thought I had the sugar ants completely under control, but the last few weeks they've been driving me crazy.
What kinds of pesty pests lurk around where you live?
Scorpions and black widows, I don't have them but I know many that do here in AZ.

Old 09-14-2006, 02:49 PM

138 posts, read 468,487 times
Wyoming- this year horrid amount of flies- we have been in a terrible drought and I think it made the fly problem worse. And mosquitoes are bad this year- even where there seems to be no water- several cases of West Nile. But the worst 'thing' that I have encountered, is about 250#, two legged, alchohol seeking, loud mouthed, swearing, wife abusing, and it lives about 1/4 mile away....much, much worse than all the bugs! I believe it is called a 'neighbor'- I just can't find a legal 'bug killer' for it!!

Old 09-14-2006, 02:54 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,031,245 times
Scorpions. Oh yeah, and inlaws - but they're in NorCal!

Old 09-14-2006, 03:11 PM

22,917 posts, read 28,260,195 times
Seattle/Tacoma's biggest pests are spiders (who really aren't a problem) and street gangs (who are a big problem).

Old 09-14-2006, 04:30 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,984,955 times
Here I deal with spiders. I had a bunch of them in the house, caught six in one night, and they creep me out. Mosquitoes haven't been a real problem and I have seen few flies out where I am. For me it's the spiders. I almost put my hand into a web while working in my bushes last week when I noticed a huge..HUGE...black and yellow spider about three inches from my hand when I pulled back. It looked deadly...I looked up spiders for Missouri on the internet, turned out to look scary, but be completely harmless to humans. All I know is that my underwear wasn't reusable after that near encounter. I worry about recluse spiders, but I've since learned that it's very difficult for them to bite a human as our skin is too thick unless they get us between our toes and fingers or on very delicate skin their little fangs can pierce. So now I don't worry too much about them, and I've never seen one. The spiders though are just pesky, those and the yellow jackets.

Old 09-14-2006, 05:52 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,088,888 times
mosquitos
flies
ants

Not much honestly...here in NJ we have pretty well paved/built over most of nature, and what is left, we have covered in chemicals and pesticides...so there's not too much left to bother us!

Old 09-14-2006, 07:29 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,265,652 times
Skunks, Hobo Spiders, snakes, skeeters packing the West Nile virus and of course your usual rodents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics