Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 02:44 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,958,764 times

Advertisements

I read a lot of articles about the topic of "eating solo in a restaurant" or dining alone. Some of the individuals who voiced their opinion claimed that they generally assume that someone who is eating alone in a restaurant must be traveling.

This annoys me because I always eat alone but in my HOME CITY (L.A). Is it that weird to eat alone that strangers who notice me eating alone will assume that I am traveling? Is it that uncommon to eat alone in your own city? Believe it or not, there are people who don't have friends in their hometown or simply like to eat alone.

Why do people assume that you are eating alone because you are traveling? I hardly travel actually; I always eat alone (in restaurants) and in the area where I live to.... This "traveling assumption" really annoys me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 02:46 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,014,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
I read a lot of articles about the topic of "eating solo in a restaurant" or dining alone. Some of the individuals who voiced their opinion claimed that they generally assume that someone who is eating alone in a restaurant must be traveling.

This annoys me because I always eat alone but in my HOME CITY (L.A). Is it that weird to eat alone that strangers who notice me eating alone will assume that I am traveling? Is it that uncommon to eat alone in your own city? Believe it or not, there are people who don't have friends in their hometown or simply like to eat alone.

Why do people assume that you are eating alone because you are traveling? I hardly travel actually; I always eat alone (in restaurants) and in the area where I live to.... This "traveling assumption" really annoys me.
I always eat out solo in the LA and Orange County areas and have never experienced that assumption.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I always eat out solo in the LA and Orange County areas and have never experienced that assumption.
The assumptions are from articles and forum posts online... There are a lot of articles about this subject online... and in the comments section someone will write "Well, I always assume when I see someone eating alone that they are traveling"....

These are the assumptions of people commenting on articles about eating alone or posting on forums about the subject of eating alone...

For example; someone may have posted a topic about eating alone... And another person will post "Well I assume that solo diner must be eating alone... "

It's not a direct verbal comment; just the consensus of the majority of people commenting about the subject ONLINE.....

Old 03-03-2012, 02:52 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,014,069 times
Gotcha! I've never read any articles or online discussions about the topic but I can understand how irritating that can be.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post

https://www.google.com/search?q=i+as...ient=firefox-a

On another forum someone wrote

"When I see someone eating alone in the restaurant, I generally assume they are travelling on business and have not much choice"

Meaning that there are some people out there who feel this way. Why?

On another forum

"PS when i go to restaurants like no 9 park, and i see people eating alone, i assume they're rich and traveling on their own for business"

Old 03-03-2012, 03:05 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,587,954 times
I could see how that assumption could get tiresome if you had to confront it often while you're dining solo. Not sure, though, why it's so annoying for you simply to be aware that some people online have that opinion of solo diners. It seems to be making you self-conscious when you hadn't been before. Try to remember that, even if you have multiple examples, it still represents a tiny percentage of people posting online, let alone people in general. Chances are there are people with all sorts of impressions about solo diners or other things that you do that are contrary to your own perspective on the matter. Since no one is confronting you directly about it, I'd try not to let it bother you so much and go back to enjoying your solo meals in peace.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:08 PM

Also, it's not true that other people don't notice or are too busy in order to notice that you are alone... Other patrons DO notice....

Here is what some other folks wrote on different forums

"I always feel sorry for people who eat alone in a restaurant.
I dont mean people who may just be sitting in a cafe in their lunch hour but people who are actually having a proper dinner of an evening in a restaurant which is full of other people with their partners or families."

" I always feel bad for people when I see them eating alone. I've even asked people if they wanted to join me because they seemed so sad."

"like u go out 2 a restauraunt and theirs a normal lookin person enjoyin a 20 dollar meal all by themselves...makes me sad "

etc even though I am not sad at all about eating alone... it annoys me that people feel this way.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:35 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,531,444 times
I could care less what other people think or feel about my dining habits. But that is just me.

signed,

The Loner

But seriously, I have eaten alone and if others feel pity or sympathy, they are wasting their empathy. I don't worry about what goes on in other people's head. It's just asking for trouble. Too many idiots out there.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:39 PM

44,621 posts, read 61,584,987 times
Why Do People Assume That Someone Who Is Eating Alone Is Traveling?

Well in my case I travel a lot and do eat alone, so they're right, and if someone came over and offered to sit with me I'd be suspicious cuz it has happened and I lost a camera to a theif who distracted me.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:19 PM

61,653 posts, read 87,023,434 times
What people? Who is assuming that? Where you hear that, or are you just making it up??
Lots of people eat alone for many reasons. Me including. So...??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics