Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 04:54 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,701,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Nineteen years ago today in Cleveland, Ohio construction began on the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame so tell us:

Today's Question:
Who are your favorite rock and roll musicians or bands?Elvis,Jerry Lee Lewis and for classic rock Journey,Creedence Clearwater Revival,Lynyrd Skynyrd,Rod Stewart,Bon Jovi,The Allman Brothers,John Mellencamp and the list goes on and on..........

Bonus Question:
Last weekend Queen Elizabeth II and millions of Britons celebrated her Diamond Jubilee, 60 years as queen of the United Kingdom.
Do you follow new stories about the British royal family:
With a lot interest or
Kinda, sorta or
Not so much?

Foodie Question:
Have you enjoyed any watermelon yet this season?
Do you ever use watermelon in recipes or just eat it straight? Eat it as it is.
Ever salt the watermelon?No

Just for fun:
Did you ever fall asleep in school? No
If so, did you get caught?

Today in History:
1340 City of Rotterdam, the Netherlands founded
1494 Treaty of Tordesillas, Spain and Portugal agreed to divide the Americas. Portugal got Brazil. Spain got the rest.
1769 Daniel Boone began exploring what later became the state of Kentucky
1775 United Colonies changed name to United States
1896 Fishermen George Harpo and Frank Samuelson left New York harbor to row the Atlantic in an open 18ft boat. They landed off the Cornish coast of Britain after 55 days.
1939 1st king and queen of England to visit the U.S., George VI and Elizabeth, aka the Queen Mum
1942 Japanese troops landed on Attu in the western Aleutian Islands of Alaska
1970 English author E.M. Forster, who wrote A Passage to India and Howard's End, died in London
1993 Cleveland broke ground for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Today’s Word:
bollard [bol-erd] noun
originally a post for fixing mooring ropes; since mid 20th century, a post used as a traffic control device

Today Is:
Chocolate Ice Cream Day
Freedom of the Press day
June Bug Day
Native American Appreciation Day

A Picture for Today:
Today's picture is courtesy of Mrs. Nomadicus, also known as Rambling Iris. This shot is called "Stately Cypress on the Banks of Peace River."

Thanks Rambling Iris and Nomadicus.

Have a good Thursday, everyone.

Good job,bjh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 04:54 AM

4,699 posts, read 3,280,332 times
Today's Question:
Who are your favorite rock and roll musicians or bands? Nickelback is my favorite right now. I like lots of the current music and of course 70's band like Boston, Fleetwood Mac and Kansas are just a few.

Bonus Question:
Last weekend Queen Elizabeth II and millions of Britons celebrated her Diamond Jubilee, 60 years as queen of the United Kingdom.
Do you follow new stories about the British royal family: Yes
With a lot interest or
Kinda, sorta or
Not so much?

Foodie Question:
Have you enjoyed any watermelon yet this season? Not yet......but it's my favorite!!!
Do you ever use watermelon in recipes or just eat it straight?
Ever salt the watermelon? Never but I really don't salt anything very often.

Just for fun:
Did you ever fall asleep in school? Not that I ever recall.

Today in History:
1494 Treaty of Tordesillas, Spain and Portugal agreed to divide the Americas. Portugal got Brazil. Spain got the rest.
1896 Fishermen George Harpo and Frank Samuelson left New York harbor to row the Atlantic in an open 18ft boat. They landed off the Cornish coast of Britain after 55 days.
1939 1st king and queen of England to visit the U.S., George VI and Elizabeth, aka the Queen Mum
1970 English author E.M. Forster, who wrote A Passage to India and Howard's End, died in London

Today’s Word:
bollard [bol-erd] noun
originally a post for fixing mooring ropes; since mid 20th century, a post used as a traffic control device

Today Is:
Chocolate Ice Cream Day
Freedom of the Press day
June Bug Day

A Picture for Today:
Today's picture is courtesy of Mrs. Nomadicus, also known as Rambling Iris. This shot is called "Stately Cypress on the Banks of Peace River."

Thanks Rambling Iris and Nomadicus. Great picture!!!

Have a good Thursday, everyone. Happy Thursday!!

Old 06-07-2012, 04:55 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,545,660 times
Today's Question:
Who are your favorite rock and roll musicians or bands? Way too many to document. I love the 60s through early 1980s New Wave bands. I love big band-swing, early 30s jazz, native american and other traditional cultural music from around the world. Too many to be pigeon-holed. Of course, if I had to pick ONE BAND, I would say the Beatles.

Bonus Question:
With a lot interest or
Kinda, sorta or
Not so much? I only like the Queen Mum, her DH, and her immediate family and of course, Princess Di was a fave. I feel sorry for her sons losing their Mum and having it publicized all over the place.

Foodie Question:
Ever salt the watermelon?

Just for fun:
Did you ever fall asleep in school?

Today in History:

1775 United Colonies changed name to United States We still call her Mother Earth. And the US is Turtle Island.

Today Is:
Chocolate Ice Cream Day
Freedom of the Press day
June Bug Day
Native American Appreciation Day Redbird gets the key to City Data!

A Picture for Today:

Mrs. Nomad, you ROCK!

Old 06-07-2012, 05:25 AM

1,906 posts, read 1,616,358 times
Mornin' all!

Today's Question:
Who are your favorite rock and roll musicians or bands?
Timely question, I'm going to the Chicago Blues Festival tomorrow! Well...Yes, and The Alan Parsons Project, but they've never been inducted into the Hall of Fame. Too Progressive I guess. Sooooo...The Grateful Dead, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, The Who, AC/DC, Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry. There's plenty more.

Bonus Question:
With a lot interest or
Kinda, sorta or
Not so much?

I missed the televised part of the Jubilee Show the other night and I meant to watch it.

Foodie Question:
Have you enjoyed any watermelon yet this season? Not yet

Either eat it straight, or in fruit salad.
Ever salt the watermelon? Salt is for potatoes.

Just for fun:
Did you ever fall asleep in school? Yeppers!
If so, did you get caught? Probably.

Today in History:

Today’s Word:
bollard [bol-erd] noun

Today Is:
Chocolate Ice Cream Day
Freedom of the Press day
June Bug Day

A Picture for Today:

Wow! Nice photo Rambling Iris! Thanx.
Thanx for the Qs bjh.
Have a good day everyone!

Old 06-07-2012, 05:32 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,434,361 times
Good afternoon all from a wet (again) England. Only good news is the hose pipe ban has been lifted!! Now then, favourite rock n roll musicians, mmm. I always, like most other people, liked the Beatles. The inventiveness of their music was great. I also love Meat Loaf - I want you, I need you, but there ain't no way I'm ever gonna love you. Don't be sad - two out of three ain't bad. How did that sound OK? I do have a sore throat...... Do I follow stories about the Royal Family? Not really, I don't buy newspapers, or read those silly magazines. But, I have been impressed with the Queen in recent years. She has give her mottley family a shake down, and hopefully a few slaps, and managed to get the show back on the road!! That's all for today. My library book is due back, so I'm going out in the rain, bye for now.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:35 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,921,444 times
Good morning to all!

Today's Question:
Favorite band: The Cars

Bonus Question:
With a lot interest or
Kinda, sorta or
Not so much?

Foodie Question:
We've had it in the house, but I don't go out of my way to eat it.

Straight

Just for fun:
I think so

Oh probably. I think I got caught at a lot of things.

Today Is:
Chocolate Ice Cream Day
Freedom of the Press day
June Bug Day

Have a great day everybody!

Old 06-07-2012, 05:37 AM

16,905 posts, read 16,138,779 times
Today's Question: Happy Good Day for Lazing and Eating! Hi!

~ I don't much understand what people mean by rock and roll.
I really don't. I play all sorts of music stuff but while I love it I also hate it at the same time. I can play music on my guitar but then think to myself about it and think, "what the hell did I do that for"?
I have music going through my mind every day for pretty much all the day, and night, and I can't help it....yet I hate it. It's insanity.

I own music by The Plasmatics, Lou Reed, Iggy Pop....and Rickie Lee Jones....I listen to them sometimes. Once every year or two I'll listen to Mott the Hoople.
I hear "Yes" music played by others, on their radios, sometimes....I like some of that, but the lyrics make no sense ever. The music is good to it.

Bonus Question:

With a lot interest or
Kinda, sorta or
Not so much? <~~~ Not so much.

Foodie Question:

Have you enjoyed any watermelon yet this season? ~ Nope. The stores want to rob us of too much money for us to agree with.
~ Eat it plain.
~ Nope.

Just for fun:

~ Nope.

Today Is:

Chocolate Ice Cream Day ~ Yayyyy! I want a shake!
Freedom of the Press day ~ Oh, we musn't do that!
June Bug Day ~ Yayyyyy! Let's all love the June Bugs!
Native American Appreciation Day ~

A Picture for Today:

Click this bar to view the full image.
Thanks Rambling Iris and Nomadicus.

Cool photo! Thanks for showing it!
Hey, I've canoed the Peace River, too!
Thanks, Rambling Iris and Nomadicus!

Thanks for the questions, BJH, and everybody have a good day with lots of good yum-stuff to eat!

(Subliminal message goes here, just for you!)

Last edited by rainroosty; 06-07-2012 at 06:09 AM..

Old 06-07-2012, 05:54 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,029,434 times
Today's Question:
Christian: Chris Tomlin, Hillsong/Darlene Zschech, Yolanda Adams, Mandisa, Tim Hughes
Secular: Celine Dion, Backstreet Boys, New Kids on the Block, N*Sync, Gloria Estefan, Mariah Carey (old stuff)

Bonus Question:
With a lot interest or
Kinda, sorta or
Not so much?

Foodie Question:
Have you enjoyed any watermelon yet this season? Last Friday at a Bible Study ... So sweet and refreshing
Do you ever use watermelon in recipes or just eat it straight? Straight up baby! I don't do watermelon burgers
Ever salt the watermelon? You crazy!

Just for fun:
Did you ever fall asleep in school? Tons of times
If so, did you get caught? Maybe once or twice ....

Old 06-07-2012, 06:02 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,405,807 times
Good morning!!!

Who are your favorite rock and roll musicians or bands? Wow now there's a tough question. We had so many good bands when I was growing up. I spent many hours listening to so many of them. Of course I also had some "phase" bands. What ever happened to all of that good band and guitar music?

Bob Segar
Steve Miller Band
Fleetwood Mac
Rolling Stones
Eagles
Aerosmith
Bad Company
Foreigner
Cars
AC/DC
Steely Dan
Queen
Doobie Brothers
ELO
Styx
Bee Gees
James Taylor
Billie Joel
Peter Frampton
Journey
Led Zepplin
Lynard Skynard
Neil Young/Grateful Dead(my phase bands)
The Pretenders
Blondie
Boz Scaggs
Meatloaf
J Geils Band
Supertramp
Van Halen

and so many others...at least great songs

Bonus Question:
With a lot interest or
Kinda, sorta or
Not so much?

I was wondering why she was on TV, lol. I couldn't care less. Heck I don't "know" her so I don't understand the interest

Foodie Question:
Not yet. I am more of a cantaloupe fan

Straight

No but I do salt other melons.

Just for fun:
Probably...school was so boring

Most likely. I never got away with anything...must be why I was such a goodie goodie, lol.

Today Is:
Chocolate Ice Cream Day
Freedom of the Press day Hmm!!! maybe they should stick to the facts and not speculation
June Bug Day
Native American Appreciation Day It's terrible what the white man did to them. Do we "ever" learn

Have a great day

Last edited by ylisa7; 06-07-2012 at 06:48 AM..

Old 06-07-2012, 06:11 AM

19,542 posts, read 9,552,731 times
Nineteen years ago today in Cleveland, Ohio construction began on the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame so tell us:

Today's Question:
Beatles, Kinks, Raiders, Three Dog Night, CCR, Journey, Scorpions, Kiss, U2, ... MANY OTHERS

Bonus Question:
With a lot interest or
Kinda, sorta or Kinda, sorta

Foodie Question:
Have you enjoyed any watermelon yet this season? Yes, just last week, and it was delicious. I'm hoping all the ones after that will taste just as good until the season is over.
\Do you ever use watermelon in recipes or just eat it straight? Straight.
Ever salt the watermelon? Yes. Regular salt in the past but now use just a wee bit of the sea salt variety type.

Just for fun:
Did you ever fall asleep in school? I don't recall, not in school.
If so, did you get caught? If I did, don't think anyone noticed.

Today Is:
Chocolate Ice Cream Day Just what a chocoholic loves to hear
Freedom of the Press day
June Bug Day Lady Bug maybe , June Bug - No When I was growing up in NY, those creatures seem to come up out of the ground, buzzing all around and run into you. Ewww. Didn't like them. At ALL. I almost equate them w/ those nasty stink bugs but luckily, I don't remember them having a stink to them when we swatted them out of our way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics