Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 01:00 AM

16,701 posts, read 17,481,347 times

Advertisements

Good morning peevers.

I hope that you are all enjoying a lovely weekend.

It's still very unsettled here. I just hope that things clear up for the Wimbledon Tennis Championships in just over a week!

Today's peeve is actually courtesy of a comment made by our fellow peever motormaker earlier in the week.

They say that it's the thought that counts, and without wishing to sound too ungracious one sometimes wonders what the thought was, because the POTD is;

Presents others buy for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 05:53 AM

4,699 posts, read 3,286,130 times

No complaints on this. My family and friends a pretty good with their choices on gifts for me. Once in awhile something doesn't fit and will have to go back.

One of my nephews really has a nack when it comes to gifts.............one year he purchased an electronic photo frame and filled it with photos of me growning up and other old family photos. He included special photos of him and his brother from the time they were babies to the present. I cried because of all the wonderful memories of my family that it brought back to me.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:24 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,643,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post

I don't really have a problem with this anymore but I used to. My ex-husband was a big gift giver, which was nice don't get me wrong, but most of the time it was stuff I really didn't want or like. I would have rather had the money to do with as I like. One year he gave me a big diamond ring for Christmas, it was beautiful but he just wasn't knowledgeable enough about them and it had a pretty noticeable carbon spot in it. But it's the thought that counts, right??

Old 06-16-2012, 07:26 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,315,484 times
This past Christmas, I wanted a new travel coffee mug to take to work. My kids bought me a
really nice big one....but it is so big until it doesn't fit in the cup holders in my car. So everytime
I step on my brakes, I have to grab it on the seat next to me to keep it from falling over. I
would replace it, but I don't want to hurt their feelings.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:49 AM

11,874 posts, read 11,061,079 times
There's been several times over the years when someone who should have known better gave me something I had absolutely no use for; would just smile, say thanks then give it to someone who could actually use it. But at least I didn't regift it One of my favorite presents though was something my female friends couldn't believe I didn't get mad about - the pseudo gave me an awesome crock pot for Christmas and I was happy as a clam.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:07 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,574,158 times
We only had one gift that was kind of funny. It was a christmas present with handkerchiefs. White silk ones with embroidery. I thought they were cute, but when would I ever use them? I am not the silk handkerchief kind of guy. More like a bull in a china shop. Anyway, we have had them for years! (unopened)

Old 06-16-2012, 09:05 AM

18,760 posts, read 11,829,646 times
I decided for my 50th birthday that I wanted just my closest friends and shorties (about 25) to come for my dream Thanksgiving dinner. I insisted that the only gifts were to be for the animal shelter or something we could all share. There were bags and bags of dog food/cat food. I cooked a splendid meal and we all got really happy on the $500 + I spent on some really fine champagne. It was the best Thanksgiving in January I ever had and I didn't have to return a single present.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:27 PM

5,653 posts, read 5,161,946 times
Shower Gel/Deoderant sets and always ones that'd make me smell like a teenage boy...... Really?

Old 06-16-2012, 01:14 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,233,403 times
My hubby loves to give me power tools. I can't complain because I actually use them. But he does tend to give me other strange gifts as well.

Bullet resistant plexiglas panels, 10 12' by 6' ones. They made a nice greenhouse.

Oak wainscoting. Used that for a glass topped coffee table.

800lbs of steer manure for my birthday.

A tiller for Christmas.

And a truckload of medium sized boulders that now reside in my flower gardens.

Gotta give him credit for originality!

Old 06-16-2012, 01:33 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,229,667 times
I have issues with gifts that have strings attached.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics