Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 09:33 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,055 posts, read 30,373,238 times

Advertisements

Happy Thursday, everyone!

Some jobs are dangerous, difficult, too hot or cold, messy, frustrating, and so on. So before you head off to work or begin another day of retirement or whatever keeps you busy tell us:

Today's Question:
What jobs are you really glad you don't have to do?

Bonus Question:
What in your life seems like a never-ending chore?

Foodie Question:
Do you have a favorite cut of beef and/or favorite beef dish? Details, please.

Just for fun:
If money and land were no object and you could have a custom pool built, what features would you get?

What shape would the pool be? A heart, a guitar, something else?

Today in History:
1543 England's King Henry VIII wed Catherine Parr, 6th and last wife. She survived him.
1817 1st flower show held, Dannybrook, County Cork, Ireland
1817 American author of Walden, Henry David Thoreau, born in Concord, Massachusetts
1902 Australian parliament agreed to female suffrage
1954 President Eisenhower put forward a plan for an interstate highway system
1957 U.S. Surgeon General Leroy Burney connected smoking with lung cancer
1984 Geraldine Ferraro, Democrat of New York, became the 1st woman Vice Presidential candidate of a major political party
1990 Boris Yeltsin quit the Soviet Communist Party
2011 In Britain, a ticket holder won 161,653,000 pounds, the largest EuroMillions jackpot in history

Today’s Word:
fet·tle [fet-l] noun
state; condition: in fine fettle. - Origin: 1300–50; Middle English fetle - to shape, prepare,
back formation from fetled, also Old English fetelede -girded up

Today Is:
Blueberry Muffin Day
Cow Appreciation Day
Paper Bag Day
Pecan Pie Day
Simplicity Day
Swimming Pool Day

A Picture for Today:
Today's picture is of some of the Fernando Noronha islands off the coast of Brazil.

This picture was taken by Robert Garrido and made freely available on Wikipedia.

Have a great day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 09:35 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,001,396 times
Today's Question:

Working the slime line on a fish processor ship.
Scraping up dead stuff from the road.
Bomb squad.
Detox center janitor
Cleaning port-a-pottys after a week long drunk fest.
Crash test dummy

Bonus Question:

Having to locate stinky cheese stores

Foodie Question:

I am like a 5 year old in a candy store when trying to decide which is my favorite cut of beef. As soon as I would decide on something, I would think of something else I maybe like even more.

I have decided it would be easier to list what I do not like. So here goes:

Brains
Rocky Mountain Oysters
Tripe

Pretty much anything else you might find in the meat case is ok with me.

Just for fun:
If money and land were no object and you could have a custom pool built, what features would you get?

Is there any chance I could trade the pool for a pond? It would be fed by a waterfall. There would be a cave behind the waterfall. At the other end of the pond water would exit via several babbling brooks. Along one side would ba a sandy beach.

Because the pond is a couple acres in size you would only be able to notice it is shaped like an airplane when flying over it.

Last edited by Alaskan Mutt; 07-11-2012 at 10:08 PM..

Old 07-11-2012, 09:37 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,014,069 times
Today's Question:

What jobs are you really glad you don't have to do? Nursing, garbage collector, firefighter, police officer, teacher ...

Bonus Question:

What in your life seems like a never-ending chore? Keeping the Chatterdome cleaned ....

Foodie Question:

Do you have a favorite cut of beef and/or favorite beef dish? Details, please: stroganoff and stir fry strips ....

Just for fun:

What shape would the pool be? A heart, a guitar, something else? Maybe heart or GOOFY

Last edited by Chatteress; 07-11-2012 at 09:55 PM..

Old 07-11-2012, 09:43 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,805,930 times
Today's Question:

All the ones that the Dirty job guy on TV has to do.

Bonus Question:

Tending to a hoard of cats!

Foodie Question:

T-Bone, Rib-Eye, .....

Just for fun:
Perpetual care at someone elses expense. Oh, and of course a bevy of beautiful bikini clad gals. Wet Bar and ...... That should do it.. I'm old but I ain't dead yet!

Uh,......... a bathing beauty!

Today in History:
1543 England's King Henry VIII wed Catherine Parr, 6th and last wife. She survived him.
1817 1st flower show held, Dannybrook, County Cork, Ireland
1817 American author of Walden, Henry David Thoreau, born in Concord, Massachusetts
1902 Australian parliament agreed to female suffrage
1954 President Eisenhower put forward a plan for an interstate highway system
1957 U.S. Surgeon General Leroy Burney connected smoking with lung cancer
1984 Geraldine Ferraro, Democrat of New York, became the 1st woman Vice Presidential candidate of a major political party
1990 Boris Yeltsin quit the Soviet Communist Party
2011 In Britain, a ticket holder won 161,653,000 pounds, the largest EuroMillions jackpot in history

Today’s Word:
fet·tle [fet-l] noun
state; condition: in fine fettle. - Origin: 1300–50; Middle English fetle - to shape, prepare,
back formation from fetled, also Old English fetelede -girded up

Today Is:
Blueberry Muffin Day
Cow Appreciation Day
Paper Bag Day
Pecan Pie Day
Simplicity Day
Swimming Pool Day

A Picture for Today:
Today's picture is of some of the Fernando Noronha islands off the coast of Brazil.

This picture was taken by Robert Garrido and made freely available on Wikipedia.

Have a great day.
Mui' nice BJH! Thanks!

Last edited by SATX56; 07-11-2012 at 10:21 PM..

Old 07-11-2012, 09:52 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,197,081 times
I could never work in a slaughterhouse. I'm also glad I don't have to deal with anything involving smelly body parts.
Bonus Question:
Cleaning.

Foodie Question:
Speaking of slaughterhouses... No, I don't eat beef.

Just for fun:
Optional heat, beautiful tile-work, a deep end with a diving board, and cabanas equipped with masseurs who look like the cast of Magic Mike.

Something with round edges and a pond-like feel, but long enough in at least one part to swim laps.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:53 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,805,930 times
Oops!! I already did this!

Last edited by SATX56; 07-11-2012 at 10:23 PM..

Old 07-11-2012, 10:19 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,136,780 times

Today's Question:

Work in a slaughter house. Cow inseminator. Window washer for sky scrapers. I could go on and on, but I won't!

Bonus Question:

The laundry, always the laundry. It never freakin' stops!

Foodie Question:

A thick prime rib, medium rare, with horse radish sauce on the side!

Just for fun:
If money and land were no object and you could have a custom pool built, what features would you get?Funny you should ask this. Two of our kids are building pools. One's is just finished, and the other's will be finished in 4 weeks or so. If I was building one it would be shallow enough to put reclining lawn chairs to sit in and drink umbrella drinks. There would be a large portion shaded, since I don't do sun. A hot tub, a waterfall, a sound system, and a sexy cabana boy to bring me what ever my heart desires!

Hmmm I don't care.

Today Is:
Blueberry Muffin Day
Cow Appreciation Day
Paper Bag Day
Pecan Pie Day
Simplicity Day
Swimming Pool Day

Thanks bjh!

Last edited by Sweetie Pie; 07-11-2012 at 10:42 PM..

Old 07-11-2012, 10:21 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,273,545 times
Happy Thursday, everyone! You too , bj

Some jobs are dangerous, difficult, too hot or cold, messy, frustrating, and so on. So before you head off to work or begin another day of retirement or whatever keeps you busy tell us:

Today's Question:

I'm glad that I am not a window washer on The Empire State Building.

Bonus Question:

Putting this house on the market, getting involved with realtors, actually selling the house (unless something else happens) and finally : packing up this house to move.... endless ....

Foodie Question:

Well, I rarely eat beef, but if I go to someone's house and they are having a barbeque, I enjoy steak (rare) cooked that way. I just don't make it myself or order it out .

I would not want a pool really (it is so cold here), but I would like a pond nearby with pretty lake rocks and lily pods.
(or is that lily pads? )???

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 07-11-2012 at 10:34 PM..

Old 07-11-2012, 11:41 PM

11,364 posts, read 9,277,086 times
Good morning to all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post

Today's Question:
I'll name 5 but there are a lot more:

Any job that would require me to carry a weapon
Working in a slaughter house or being a taxidermist
Working outside in extreme heat or cold
Cooking or fixing unhealthy food
Any job that requires a lot of lifting

Bonus Question:

Quote:
I clean everyday.

Foodie Question:

Quote:
Very rarely do I eat red meat but I'll answer the question and say filet mignon.

Just for fun:

Quote:
The usual. Nothing special. Just deep enough for diving.

Hope everyone has a terrific day!

Old 07-11-2012, 11:53 PM

37,796 posts, read 40,994,120 times
Today's Question:

White House Press Secretary - For the last 20 years I have always said if that was my job I'd be an alcoholic. I just cannot imagine a job where every single day every single thing I say reflects on my boss plus I have no idea how to prepare for questions because I have no idea what questions I will be getting AND I'm in front of a camera doing it. Plus, I'm the one out front having to make excuses for someone else. I honestly think it's the worst job of all time and however much money they make, it's not enough.

Hollywood movie actor - Can't imagine having a job where I have no idea how much money I'll be making or whether I'll be working or not working from week to week/month to month for my whole life. How do you plan for that kind of income uncertainty for almost your whole adult life especially if you have a family? I'm not talking about the big stars who make bazillions per movie. I'm talking about the guys that are like the 4th one listed in the cast when the credits roll.

Any office job that requires me to work on the top floors of a skyscaper. Regardless of planes crashing into buildings, firemen just cannot get to you or put out, even for a regular fire, a fire on the floor(s) below you if you are on Floor (for example) 85 to 100 and something. I would quit my job before I'd work on the top floors of any skyscraper.

Butcher - Couldn't do it.

Waitress - People are such a pain in the azz when it comes to food. Some perfectly nice people in other scenarios turn into real jerks in a restaurant. Trust me, I know a few. I want to hide when they order. Plus, wouldn't want to be on my feet all day.

Bonus Question:

Anything to do with cleaning

Foodie Question:

I haven't had it for a very long time but I love sauerbraten (with kartoffelkloesse - had to look up how to spell it ). Just thinking about it mmmmmm....

Just for fun:

Is money no object to take care of it? I have no idea what "features" to pick from but a plain old in-ground pool is fine.

No, just a rectangle. I'd want it for exercise...and, you know, I'm boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics