Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 11:31 AM

622 posts, read 2,709,795 times

Advertisements

so you should get married at 18, have kids, and die for your country, but not have a cigarette?

not even for the after-sex smoke when you conceived your child?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2006, 11:38 AM

502 posts, read 2,296,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariatherese View Post
so you should get married at 18, have kids, and die for your country, but not have a cigarette?

not even for the after-sex smoke when you conceived your child?
Okay, Calm down. It's going to be okay! This isn't real.

Breath in, Breath out. Relax, Release. Feel better now.

Old 09-26-2006, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
Okay, Calm down. It's going to be okay! This isn't real.

Breath in, Breath out. Relax, Release. Feel better now.

ok, ok... i'm feeling better.

i think i'm going to delete this forum from my bookmarks. i havent been on here in awhile, and look- didnt take me long to start getting my undies in a bunch...

none of this is real... its just the internet... time to go do the laundry... things to do... work... life... no more staring at computer...

i think this is good-bye! (i hope)

Old 09-26-2006, 12:53 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,569,789 times
This is for personal opinions, correct? Because I don't want to hurt anybody's feelings.

I think if you are living at home with your parents, you ought to do as they say. If the old man says no smoking, then so be it. Same can be said for booze, wheels, and babes. Once you are 'out on your own' you are a free American citizen, complete with the right to prematurely end your own life by smoking, boozing, driving, and so on. I wouldn't necessarily put an age on it, as I have met many 30 to 50 year old "lifetime teenagers". I will stand up and say that if one is wearing the country's uniform, that age restrictions on such vices should not apply.

Old 09-26-2006, 01:01 PM

502 posts, read 2,296,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
This is for personal opinions, correct? Because I don't want to hurt anybody's feelings.

I think if you are living at home with your parents, you ought to do as they say. If the old man says no smoking, then so be it. Same can be said for booze, wheels, and babes. Once you are 'out on your own' you are a free American citizen, complete with the right to prematurely end your own life by smoking, boozing, driving, and so on. I wouldn't necessarily put an age on it, as I have met many 30 to 50 year old "lifetime teenagers". I will stand up and say that if one is wearing the country's uniform, that age restrictions on such vices should not apply.
And that pretty much sums it all. I'm in full agreement.

Old 09-26-2006, 01:50 PM

i agree, too!

(no i haven't left yet)

Old 09-26-2006, 02:00 PM

504 posts, read 1,764,555 times
I was teasing about getting married at 30 and having children later. Most peoples lives at that time are more stable and they have more money and good jobs. Do I think it should be the law no, but I think there would be a lot less unwanted kids and fewer divorces.
I can't expect my opionions to form laws.These opinions are mine because I should have listened, I had my first child at 19 not married, started smoking at 15, drinking at 18, driving at 18 and wrecked my first car at 19, always voted, got married at 33 had second child, never got a tattoo but have friends who did and they look really funny on 50 year olds, Piercing can always be repaired.Getting a good education, not drinking, smoking, making babies until your ready will definately lead you and your future children a better life. Not only that you can live anywhere if you have a good skill and education. You can also argue better with a good education.

Last edited by alexander59; 09-26-2006 at 02:13 PM.. Reason: add more

Old 09-26-2006, 02:12 PM

944 posts, read 3,955,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariatherese View Post
I think these suggestions are all crazy!
So do I, but you won't see this cuz you said you're going to delete this bookmark and not return to the forum. Oh well, I'm alone to oppose those who love laws and big government.

I guess I'll go to the opposite extreme. How about NO LAWS for ANYTHING related to age?

Driving --- get a license based on rigorous competence tests

Sex --- do what you want with anyone capable of giving informed consent, get castrated if you abuse anyone

Drugs, alcohol, tobacco --- it's your body, but leave me alone when you're high or I'll use my rights to defend myself!

Voting --- most adults don't vote any more intelligently than a 2 year old would, so why have a limit?

Military --- same as driving (competence)

Tattoos, piercings, etc. --- none of my business

Posting responses to anything I say --- any age as long as you agree with me OR pay me $1,000 per word if you disagree.

There. No more discussion, I speak for the Almighty. (hey, there are serous religious leaders who say nuttier things, so why can't I have my own religion too?)

Old 09-26-2006, 02:14 PM

571 posts, read 2,530,271 times
Driving: I like the "graduated" license idea adopted by many states. You can drive at 16 AFTER you successfuly complete a drivers' ed course, but there are restrictions until you get older (i.e., no driving "after hours", no driving with other teenagers in the car, etc.)

Working: I think there are a lot of benefits to kids working a part time job. Teaches them responsibility, time management and the value of a dollar. But child labor restrictions should apply: limited hours during the school year, no working very early in the morning or very late at night, no working in dangerous/hazardous environments, etc.

I also think employers should be required to "lay off" kids whose high school school GPA's fall below a certain level, say a 2.0. That way they have incentive to do well in school and it's also a "fail safe" for those kids who just can't juggle a job and school at the same time.

The drinking/military issue: instead of lowering the drinking age to 18, perhaps we should raise the "combat" age to 21. 18-20 year olds could still serve in the military, but would be limited to relatively "safer" support roles and not be placed on the "front lines" until they're considered "full" adults at age 21.

(Though it is funny how most other "developed" countries do OK with lower drinking ages than we have here in the U.S. I think that's a result of our relatively lenient DWI laws. Many European countries don't mess around...if you're caught driving drunk, you get your license revoked, period.)

Old 09-26-2006, 02:19 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeptrance View Post
So do I, but you won't see this cuz you said you're going to delete this bookmark and not return to the forum. Oh well, I'm alone to oppose those who love laws and big government.

I guess I'll go to the opposite extreme. How about NO LAWS for ANYTHING related to age?

Driving --- get a license based on rigorous competence tests

Sex --- do what you want with anyone capable of giving informed consent, get castrated if you abuse anyone

Drugs, alcohol, tobacco --- it's your body, but leave me alone when you're high or I'll use my rights to defend myself!

Voting --- most adults don't vote any more intelligently than a 2 year old would, so why have a limit?

Military --- same as driving (competence)

Tattoos, piercings, etc. --- none of my business

Posting responses to anything I say --- any age as long as you agree with me OR pay me $1,000 per word if you disagree.

There. No more discussion, I speak for the Almighty. (hey, there are serous religious leaders who say nuttier things, so why can't I have my own religion too?)

You are tooooooo Funny!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics