Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 08:02 AM

1,906 posts, read 1,616,358 times

Advertisements

Mornin' all!

The pumpkins are coming, the pumpkins are coming! They are a hallmark of fall. Sooooo...

Today's Question(s):
What is fall like where you live?

Are you looking forward to any part of it, or are you a warmer weather person?

Just for Fun:
Are you fond of pumpkin:
pie?
roll (or log)?
cheesecake?
roasted pumpkin seeds?
other?

Bonus Question:
Do you carve pumpkins and put them out for decoration?

Today in History:
2011 A 5.8 magnitude earthquake and two lesser related quakes strike 32 miles south of Guatemala City, Guatemala, claiming 3 lives
1992 Barry Bonds joins Willie Mays, Howard Johnson and Ron Gant as having (2) 30-home run/30-steal seasons
1981 Simon and Garfunkel reunite for a New York City Central Park concert
1973 U.S.S.R. performs underground nuclear test
1960 Chubby Checkers' "Twist" reaches #1
1951 1st broadcast of "Search for Tomorrow" on CBS-TV
1934 Bruno Hauptmann arrested for kidnapping Lindbergh baby
1893 New Zealand is 1st country to grant all its women the right to vote
1796 George Washington's farewell address as president

Today’s Word:
marmoreal
Pronunciation: (mahr-MOHR-ee-uhl)
Meaning: adjective: Resembling marble or a marble statue, for example, in smoothness, whiteness, hardness, coldness, or
aloofness.
Etymology: From Latin marmoreus (made of marble) from marmor (marble). Earliest documented use: 1798.

Today is:
Talk like a Pirate Day, Aaaaarrrrrgh!
National Women Road Warrior Day
National Butterscotch Pudding Day
PatsCat's sister's birthday (yep, she's 64 today!)!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCss0kZXeyE

Quote of the Day:
We forfeit three-fourths of ourselves in order to be like other people. ~ Arthur Schopenhauer

Have a great day everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 08:06 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,332,396 times
Happy Good Wednesday Morning to allyall

Today's Question(s):
What is fall like where you live? My only hope is it will be cooler... we only have 2 seasons and both are summer lol

Are you looking forward to any part of it, or are you a warmer weather person? I am looking so forward to cooling off

Just for Fun:
Are you fond of pumpkin: NOPE, but I like the idea of pumpkins

Love and Peace

Old 09-19-2012, 08:08 AM

11,375 posts, read 9,291,726 times
Hello all,

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post

Mornin' all!

The pumpkins are coming, the pumpkins are coming! They are a hallmark of fall. Sooooo...

Today's Question(s):

We have a regular fall. I do not like hot weather but I will take it over the cold.

Just for Fun:

Quote:
Are you fond of pumpkin:
pie?
roll (or log)?
cheesecake?
roasted pumpkin seeds?
other?
Only pie but I do not have it often.
There is a place near me that makes hot and/or fresh pumpkin chocolate chip muffins. They are sooooo good.
They have them all year too!

Bonus Question:

Quote:
No.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:10 AM

44,370 posts, read 20,076,303 times
Today's Question(s):
What is fall like where you live? Generally cool and windy, with leaves changing colors to various shades of yellow, orange and red and even some pretty browns. I love fall!

Are you looking forward to any part of it, or are you a warmer weather person? I hate hot summer weather, so I'm a happy camper when the temperatures drop.

Just for Fun:
Are you fond of pumpkin:
pie? YESSSSSSSSSSSS
roll (or log)? Ditto!
cheesecake? Ditto!
roasted pumpkin seeds? Yes.
other? Pumpkin soup is super delish, too! It's like drinking liquid pumpik pie.

Bonus Question:
Do you carve pumpkins and put them out for decoration? Not anymore. I did this when I was younger and had more time on my hands. Used to bake the seeds as well, to have around for a healthful snack.

Today’s Word:
marmoreal
Meaning: adjective: Resembling marble or a marble statue, for example, in smoothness, whiteness, hardness, coldness, or
aloofness.
I know a couple of marmoreal people.

Today is:
Talk like a Pirate Day, Aaaaarrrrr! I love this! Way fun! Arrrrrrr!
National Butterscotch Pudding Day I like butterscotch pudding.
PatsCat's sister's birthday (yep, she's 64 today!)! Happy birthday, PatsCats' sister!

Everyone have a wonderful Wednesday!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:11 AM

4,699 posts, read 3,280,332 times

Today's Question(s):
What is fall like where you live? Beautiful trees, cool mornings and warm afternoons!!

Are you looking forward to any part of it, or are you a warmer weather person? I love fall but dread the winter season that follows. Especially the time change.

Just for Fun:
Are you fond of pumpkin:
pie?
roll (or log)?
cheesecake?
roasted pumpkin seeds?
other?

Bonus Question:
Do you carve pumpkins and put them out for decoration? No

Today in History:
2011 A 5.8 magnitude earthquake and two lesser related quakes strike 32 miles south of Guatemala City, Guatemala, claiming 3 lives
1992 Barry Bonds joins Willie Mays, Howard Johnson and Ron Gant as having (2) 30-home run/30-steal seasons

Today’s Word:
marmoreal
aloofness.
Etymology: From Latin marmoreus (made of marble) from marmor (marble). Earliest documented use: 1798.

Today is:

Quote of the Day:
We forfeit three-fourths of ourselves in order to be like other people. ~ Arthur Schopenhauer Not me.....I am who I am.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:14 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
Fall is fall and I like it much better than the extreme heat we had over the summer. I live in a wooded area surrounded by trees on 3 sides so I gets lots of fall colors. I am not fond of the damp cold though but with my health issues the damp and cold makes me ache all over all day.

No on the pumpkin desserts, I don't really care for the taste however, if you have plenty of Reddi Whip I'll sacrifice myself and have one piece of pumpkin pie.

No on the carving as well, when I was a child we did however, that was because my Grandmother made Pumpkin Pie and she used all of the inside of the pumpkin for pie and roasted the seeds for us to snack on. When the pumpkin finally collapsed she put it in her compost pile so the entire pumpkin was used and nothing went to waste.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:21 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,627,655 times
Today's Question(s):
It's pretty spectacular, especially in the nearby mountains but sometimes it's still a little too warm to get a good fall display. This year looks promising though since it's cooler and we've had lots of rain.

Yes I love to look at the leaves when they're changing and the cooler temps, but I don't like winter

Just for Fun:
Are you fond of pumpkin:
pie?
roll (or log)?
cheesecake?
roasted pumpkin seeds?
other? Don't like pumpkin at all

Bonus Question:
I used to but haven't done that in years. One year I worked really hard and had several large pumpkins out on the front porch only to wake up one morning to find them all smashed in the front yard and strewn across the neighborhood. Probably the same kids who were driving around smashing and destroying mailboxes.

Today is:
Talk like a Pirate Day, Aaaaarrrrrgh!.................................seems like this was just a couple months ago
National Women Road Warrior Day...................................honk honk!! Get off the road!!
National Butterscotch Pudding Day...................................love butterscotch
PatsCat's sister's birthday (yep, she's 64 today!)! .....Happy Birthday PatsCat's sister!!

Quote of the Day:
We forfeit three-fourths of ourselves in order to be like other people. ~ Arthur Schopenhauer

Last edited by Ilene Wright; 09-19-2012 at 08:33 AM..

Old 09-19-2012, 08:27 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,600,412 times
What is fall like where you live? it's pretty and like the fall pictures you see in calendars - rolling hills with trees full of gorgeous fall leaves.

Are you looking forward to any part of it, or are you a warmer weather person? I do like the landscapes around here in fall - and some brisk sweater weather - and some of the warmer weather comfort foods - and the smells

Are you fond of pumpkin: all of it - plus breads, cookies, soup - not coffee, though.
pie?
roll (or log)?
cheesecake?
roasted pumpkin seeds?
other?

Do you carve pumpkins and put them out for decoration? not for years now

Old 09-19-2012, 08:40 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,804,194 times
[quote=PatsCats;26157319]Mornin' all!

Today's Question(s):
What is fall like where you live?....Cool and colorful, but the last couple of years the colors have been dull.

Are you looking forward to any part of it, or are you a warmer weather person?....Can't wait

Just for Fun:
Are you fond of pumpkin:
pie?
roll (or log)?
cheesecake?
roasted pumpkin seeds?
other? I like to put it in roasts, and make it like sweet potatoes with brown sugar, butter and a teaspoon of vanilla. My friend makes wicked good pumpkin squares. I fell in love with it in Australia.

Bonus Question:
Do you carve pumpkins and put them out for decoration?...Yes, you'll see soon.

Today in History:

Today’s Word:
marmoreal
aloofness.

Today is:

Quote of the Day:

Have a great day everyone! . Thanks, you too. It turns out I chipped my ankle bone and I'm off of work for another week. The crutches are not so much fun.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:51 AM

24,480 posts, read 26,021,800 times
Today's Question(s):
Right now it's still pretty warm to hot.

We could do with some cooler weather.

Just for Fun:
Are you fond of pumpkin:
pie?
Once in awhile.
roll (or log)?
cheesecake?
roasted pumpkin seeds?
other?

Bonus Question:
Not any longer, the neighborhood no longer has many small kids living here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics