Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 12:50 AM

16,701 posts, read 17,476,139 times

Advertisements

Good morning peevers.

Actually, not so great here as my mum has been admitted to hospital. Looks like she has a broken bone in her foot.

That's beyond a peeve and this thread should be about the minor irritations in life.

However, I'll use this as the theme for today's peeve.

Mobility; it can be a real pain (literally in some cases) just being able to bend down, stretch up or grab something. It might be even getting up and walking.

For some it is beyond a peeve and is life changing, but let's go with this for today.

Let us know your experiences, as the POTD is;

General mobility gets harder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 01:09 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,051,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Good morning peevers.

Actually, not so great here as my mum has been admitted to hospital. Looks like she has a broken bone in her foot.

That's beyond a peeve and this thread should be about the minor irritations in life.

However, I'll use this as the theme for today's peeve.

Mobility; it can be a real pain (literally in some cases) just being able to bend down, stretch up or grab something. It might be even getting up and walking.

For some it is beyond a peeve and is life changing, but let's go with this for today.

I pray that your mom makes a speedy recovery but know how frustrated an injury like this can be. I sprained my ankle right before Christmas and had to forgo some of my plans. It was frustrating but glad it's all behind me now.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:06 AM

16,701 posts, read 17,476,139 times
Thank you Chatteress. Much appreciated.

For the photos today I have three shots taken at Old Sarum last Friday.

They show the site of the old Cathedral, that is the one that there before people started to settle more down where Salisbury now is and build the current Cathedral starting in 1220.

So this one dates from 1130, though a previous wooden one had been built in the late 11th Century and was damaged by fire almost straight away.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:35 AM

11,874 posts, read 11,059,113 times
I'm sorry about your mom, Jezer. I hope she heals soon.

A friend and I were just talking about today's peeve. How the body reminds us we're not kids anymore.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:29 AM

30,640 posts, read 16,308,776 times
adding my well wishes for your Mom.

yea-the knees and the back are constantly reminding the brain of reality. sigh

Old 01-15-2013, 06:35 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,566,165 times
Hope your mom gets better soon, Jezer. Family is the most important thing in life.

I'm not at an age to complain about my mobility, but I did have a herniated disk from work last year. Just not being able to easily get up out of a chair was enough of a discomfort. I'm not looking forwards to whats to come. Maybe modern medicine will develop eternal joints or something.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:15 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,778,596 times
Sorry to hear about your mum. Wish her well from us, please.

And my apologies to Mollie for calling her a he yesterday. My bad.

Today's peeve. I've been through some weird anti-mobility problems that last few years. I have what has been diagnosed as peripheral neuropathy. That means the nerves in my feet are not working, or overworking, or some such. The balls of my feet feel swollen (they're not) and numb. As a result I can't tell where they are and have no reference for balance (lack of feedback). I have been training myself to key on vertical surfaces to keep myself on the straight and narrow so to speak. It works pretty well, but if I relax in my diligence I can easily stumble. In addition they are very sensitive (even though they feel numb) to almost anything. I can step on a food crumb in the kitchen and it feels like a huge sand burr.

Very strange.

And it seems that every fall I now get vertigo. It lasts until mid to late December then it's gone. We're assuming an allergy.

Walking has become an interesting achievement in my life. I do pride myself on handling it well enough that those around me can't tell I'm having the problem.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:08 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,259,190 times
Best wishes and prayers for your mum, Jezer. Makes you wonder how that bone got broken so she won't do it again, eh?

General mobility gets harder

My mobility in my golden years okay so far and I'm grateful for that. Everyplace I go here in sunny Florida, there are many oldies and plenty older than me. Each time I'm out of the house, I see lots of people using canes, walkers, wheelchairs and sometimes just going slowly with someone holding an elbow. Our bodies' are constantly changing so we try to stay healthy and hope for the best and help others as much as we can.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:12 AM

44,392 posts, read 20,120,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post

Yes, that's a tough one, Jez. I hate to see those I love slow down and require more and more help getting around as they age. Some, like my aunt who will turn 88 next month, still get around very well. She still works out with an aerobics video 6 days a week! However, most of her friends use canes, walkers, wheelchairs or scooters to get around. It must be so difficult to give up the independence of mobility.

It's important for us to keep moving as much as we can for as long as we can. Keep those joints going!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:13 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,097,137 times
Sorry about your mom.

Don't I know about those mobility problems as I sit here waiting until the date of my knee replacement (and I already had a hip replacement). The knee has a bone spur under the knee cap....and it keeps locking....ouch!

And to the other responders, I'm sorry you're having problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics