Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 11:02 PM

61,922 posts, read 87,512,332 times

Advertisements

Today's Question:
Whether with a spouse or on your own, either one, how old were you when you became personally independent?
Before I got married and after I got divorced Married people can't be personally independent...

What were the most challenging things you encountered as a result?
The freedom to be righteous, proud, self-sufficient, competent, and stubborn. To achieve my goals on my own terms and at my own pace. To be responsible for my own action!

What were the things that made you happiest about your independence?
To do whatever I want to do without asking for permission or assistance. It builds self-esteem and confidence.

Bonus Question:
In life some people test the waters, so to speak, with a toe while others jump right in.

Are you usually a tester or jumper?
Jumper!!

Has your usual method been mostly good or not-so-good? Details, if you have them, please.
Mostly good. Mistakes happen, but that's a part of life experience. Most important is to learn from them and use a common sense.

Foodie Question:
What was the last food you baked at home?
Baked some breakfast oatmeal cookies last week.

Do you like to bake breads, cakes, and so on?
Yes. Breads, tea cookies...

Is there a funny or cool cake design you've seen?
Oh, yeah. I have a good friend who has a pastry shop and makes elaborate wedding cakes and other "themed" cakes for different occasions.

Just for fun:
When I was a kid almost all grown ups seemed to carry handkerchiefs. Now almost no one does.

Do you still carry handkerchiefs or do you have some sitting in a drawer somewhere?
Both. I also have a set of very fine handkerchiefs stitched by a family member few generations back. Those are admired - not used

If you've had them, were they ever monographed or embroidered?
Yes. Both.

Do you remember your parents or others carrying handkerchiefs?
Yes, of course. Where else would they blow their nose? On the sleeve?

Thank you, bjh!!

Last edited by elnina; 07-04-2013 at 12:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 11:02 PM

438 posts, read 661,784 times
Whether with a spouse or on your own, either one, how old were you when you became personally independent?

Being me!

everything

Bonus Question:
In life some people test the waters, so to speak, with a toe while others jump right in.

I try to jump right in.

Has your usual method been mostly good or not-so-good? Details, if you have them, please.

Foodie Question:

lasagna

I have only tried to bake cupcakes once in my life. I opened the oven and it looked like a cake. FAIL

Just for fun:
When I was a kid almost all grown ups seemed to carry handkerchiefs. Now almost no one does.

Do you still carry handkerchiefs or do you have some sitting in a drawer somewhere?

Never carried a hanky

no

have a great holiday~

Old 07-03-2013, 11:25 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,048,562 times
Just got back home from celebrating my birthday at my friend's place ... We went to a yummy Vietnamese restaurant and then headed out to Redondo Beach and Pier Nice mellow day. I'll have to share some pics when I upload them

Today's Question:
Whether with a spouse or on your own, either one, how old were you when you became personally independent? I was 26 when I finally moved out on my own ... I lived for that first year in campus housing then I found me an apartment after graduation ... been living solo since then.

What were the most challenging things you encountered as a result? Lack of good homecooked meals, having to be solely responsible for cleaning and killing spiders/insects LOL!

What were the things that made you happiest about your independence? Prior to moving out on my own, I was living with my sister and her family ... It was the final year and half of the worst three years of my life and I was so happy to escape the insanity.

Bonus Question:

Are you usually a tester or jumper? Depends upon the situation. I do believe that life is about taking risks in order to get ahead. Now, I don't believe in foolish risks such as bungee jumping but risks such as taking the buses home late at night in order to finish grad school are a necessary means to an end.

So far, they have worked out for me

Foodie Question:
What was the last food you baked at home? I don't remember as I rarely cook

Do you like to bake breads, cakes, and so on? When I'm motivated, yes.

Is there a funny or cool cake design you've seen? I've seen tons of them but nothing really stands out at this moment I think one cake design I saw was a cake that looks like the American Flag

Just for fun:

Do you remember your parents or others carrying handkerchiefs? No

Old 07-03-2013, 11:57 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,048,562 times
Here are some pics from my birthday taken at the Redondo Beach Pier ... Enjoy

Old 07-04-2013, 12:03 AM

21,590 posts, read 8,759,815 times
Today's Question:
I was 18 years old.
Learning to manage money. One weekend I ran out of cash (in the days before ATMs) and had to go without meals until Monday morning. I was much too proud to ask for help from my parents.
I had been unhappy living with my father, stepmother and her children, so I was grateful to finally be free of all the family drama.

Bonus Question:

I'm a little of both. I can be impulsive, but most of the time I try to gather information and think things through before making a decision.

Mostly good.

Foodie Question:
Sour cream chocolate chip cookies
Yes, I'd rather bake than cook.
I couldn't possibly top the one you posted of the American flag cake. Very clever!

Just for fun:
When I was a kid almost all grown ups seemed to carry handkerchiefs. Now almost no one does. That's a shame.

No, I usually carry a pocket pack of Kleenex, but I have an old lace-trimmed handkerchief in my drawer that belonged to my great-grandmother.
No
Yes, my dad used to carry monogrammed handkerchiefs.

Thanks, bjh!

Old 07-04-2013, 12:33 AM

38,975 posts, read 22,980,069 times
Today's Question:
Whether with a spouse or on your own, either one, how old were you when you became personally independent? In my 20s.

What were the most challenging things you encountered as a result? Eating balanced meals!

What were the things that made you happiest about your independence? Feeling of having "made it" in the "adult" world.

Bonus Question:

Are you usually a tester or jumper? Depends on the situation, but more of a tester.

Has your usual method been mostly good or not-so-good? Details, if you have them, please. It's been mostly good but had I been more of a risk taker, I would not have missed some good opportunities, looking back.

Foodie Question:
What was the last food you baked at home? Some garlic cheese bread a couple days ago.

Do you like to bake breads, cakes, and so on? No, it's too much work!

Is there a funny or cool cake design you've seen? At one of my sister's wedding receptions, the wedding cake was all in separate layers and each layer was on its own plate. The plates were arranged in such a way that they looked a tree. Very clever!

Just for fun:

Do you still carry handkerchiefs or do you have some sitting in a drawer somewhere? No.

Do you remember your parents or others carrying handkerchiefs? My parents didn't carry any handkechiefs but they did carry tissue packs.

Today Is:
Baked Beans Day
Barbecue Day
Barbecued Spareribs Day
Caesar Salad Day
Independence Day, US
Republic Day, Philippines Also known as Philippine-American Friendship Day.

To all U.S. C-D members: Have a safe, sane and Happy Independence Day!

Old 07-04-2013, 12:46 AM

30,624 posts, read 16,299,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Today is Independence Day in the good ol' US of A. (Notice the fireworks in the title. )

So tell us . . .

Today's Question:
probably early 20's

Convincing my parents I was an adult.

Don't know as I'd call it happiness. More excitement and/or anticipation. Now my life was beginning!

Bonus Question:

a tester.

like others said, both.

Foodie Question:
Honestly don't remember. I don't bake at all in summer, not much in winter either.

not especially

yup-a local grocery store bakes a cake that looks like a big hamburger. Complete with catsup, pickle and, of course, fries. It's really cute and apparently tastes good too.

Just for fun:

nope. Usually use paper towels.

My dad used to.

Today's Funny, Fun or Weird Web Page:
So many cool photos, so little time!
Follow the link to kulfoto.com site: Pictures Trending on Web, Funny and Interesting Picture Galleries

Today in History:
1054 A supernova became visible and so bright it could be seen during daylight for several months. Its remnants formed the Crab Nebula.
1776 Declaration of Independence, 13 American colonies sought independence from Great Britain
1817 Construction on Erie Canal began, linking the Hudson River directly to Lake Erie
1845 Republic of Texas voted to join the U.S.
1845 Henry David Thoreau moved to cabin on Walden Pond, resulted in the 1854 book Walden
1884 Statue of Liberty presented to U.S. in Paris
1903 Pacific cable laid, connecting San Francisco, Hawaii, Guam, and the Philippines
1997 NASA's Pathfinder space probe landed on the surface of Mars

Today’s Word:
brum·by [bruhm-bee] noun, plural brum·bies
a wild horse or pony

Today Is:
Baked Beans Day
Barbecue Day
Barbecued Spareribs Day
Caesar Salad Day
Independence Day, US
Republic Day, Philippines

This Week is:
Freedom Week, 4th-10th
Beans and Bacon Days, 4th-7th

Today's Picture:
This cake design must have taken some planning.

Wherever you are in the world, here's wishing you sweet freedom today and always!
You can actually boat from one end of the Erie Canal to the other. They had donkeys pulling the boats sometimes and there's sections you still see their path.

Have a great day,everyone. Thanks for the questions, bjh

Old 07-04-2013, 01:04 AM

44,662 posts, read 61,751,282 times
Today's Question:
Whether with a spouse or on your own, either one, how old were you when you became personally independent? Around 16-17.

What were the most challenging things you encountered as a result? Life in general, sometimes just tying my shoes..

What were the things that made you happiest about your independence? Having no one to answer to.

Bonus Question:

Are you usually a tester or jumper? Jump right in and make a big splash.

Has your usual method been mostly good or not-so-good? Depends. Details, if you have them, please.

Foodie Question:
What was the last food you baked at home? Taquitos.

Do you like to bake breads, cakes, and so on? No.

Is there a funny or cool cake design you've seen? Don't recall, except some X rated ones..

Just for fun:
When I was a kid almost all grown ups seemed to carry handkerchiefs. Now almost no one does. I do.

Do you still carry handkerchiefs or do you have some sitting in a drawer somewhere? I carry one all the time. If you don't carry one then you have to use a sleeve to wipe on, ugh.

If you've had them, were they ever monographed or embroidered? Some have my initials on them.

Do you remember your parents or others carrying handkerchiefs? They always did. They wore socks too.

Hey 4thy of July, hope you have a boom boom bang up day, enjoy...

Old 07-04-2013, 03:29 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,740,477 times
Today is Independence Day in the good ol' US of A. (Notice the fireworks in the title. )

So tell us . . .

Today's Question:
Whether with a spouse or on your own, either one, how old were you when you became personally independent? 17

What were the most challenging things you encountered as a result? Getting adjusted to being self supporting

What were the things that made you happiest about your independence? Being independent, my own man.

Bonus Question:

Are you usually a tester or jumper? Jumper

Has your usual method been mostly good or not-so-good? Details, if you have them, please. Mostly good, with exposure to many forms of enterprises I look back now and realize the value of a diverse education from the school of hard knocks to go along with a college degree.

Foodie Question:
What was the last food you baked at home? Actually a broiled Spanish mackerel.

Do you like to bake breads, cakes, and so on? Not to much. Oven works against the AC unit.

Is there a funny or cool cake design you've seen? My mother's old 8 layer holiday cake. Jazzed up fruit cake.

Just for fun:

Do you still carry handkerchiefs or do you have some sitting in a drawer somewhere? I don't think I have any but keep Kleenex every where.

If you've had them, were they ever monographed or embroidered? No

Do you remember your parents or others carrying handkerchiefs? Yes, it was common during our stint in MI. Shawls in the winter to. Even I learned their value.

Today's Funny, Fun or Weird Web Page:
So many cool photos, so little time!
Follow the link to kulfoto.com site: Pictures Trending on Web, Funny and Interesting Picture Galleries

Today in History:
1054 A supernova became visible and so bright it could be seen during daylight for several months. Its remnants formed the Crab Nebula.
1776 Declaration of Independence, 13 American colonies sought independence from Great Britain
1817 Construction on Erie Canal began, linking the Hudson River directly to Lake Erie
1845 Republic of Texas voted to join the U.S.
1845 Henry David Thoreau moved to cabin on Walden Pond, resulted in the 1854 book Walden
1884 Statue of Liberty presented to U.S. in Paris
1903 Pacific cable laid, connecting San Francisco, Hawaii, Guam, and the Philippines
1997 NASA's Pathfinder space probe landed on the surface of Mars

Today’s Word:
brum·by [bruhm-bee] noun, plural brum·bies
a wild horse or pony

Today Is:
Baked Beans Day
Barbecue Day
Barbecued Spareribs Day
Caesar Salad Day
Independence Day, US
Republic Day, Philippines

This Week is:
Freedom Week, 4th-10th
Beans and Bacon Days, 4th-7th

Today's Picture:
This cake design must have taken some planning.

Don't get between me and the cake and no ones gets plastered.

Wherever you are in the world, here's wishing you sweet freedom today and always!

Last edited by Nomadicus; 07-04-2013 at 03:39 AM..

Old 07-04-2013, 03:39 AM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,147 posts, read 30,465,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
Today is Independence Day in the good ol' US of A. (Notice the fireworks in the title. ) << Oh. I thought you wrote a swear word and the C-D language filter bleeped it.
You made me LOL. The asterisks have spaces between them so it would have to filter a letter. Spoze we can guess which one.

Today's Question:

money, having to be the one to talk to the landlord, manage my time myself, etc

Being able to sleep when I wanted, choosing the TV channel, eat what I wanted to. Cereal for dinner, if that's what you want. Not that I'd do that now, but at the time, yes.

Bonus Question:

The older I've become the more I've become a tester, now that I realize my own mortality.

At the same time I've taken some risks in the past that either paid off or taught me a lot.

Foodie Question:
Lasagna

I do, but haven't in a long time.

In addition to R rated stuff and the picture below, when I was a kid we were allowed to choose a food coloring for our birthday cake. Anything goes, orange frosting with blue cake? You got it!

Just for fun:

I've never owned handkerchiefs. I have a box of tissues in my truck and carry a small tissue pack if I've got a cold. The other day I saw an older man with one , then saw someone with a handkerchief in an old movie, hence the question.

I remember my dad having handkerchiefs when I was young.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics