Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 09:44 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times

Advertisements

People watching you doing something for the first time.

Or while they are watching they say "isn't there a better way to do that?"

Or "I know I can do that better if I ......... "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 10:08 AM

44,359 posts, read 20,066,476 times
Jezer, the video is a riot. I love bloopers - especially when they're somebody else's!

Just this past Sunday I made a blooper in church. I was the lay assistant and when I started to lead one of the responsive readings, I read the congregation's line instead of my line. We all just laughed and got on with it. Fortunately, we have a small, intimate congregation which lends itself to a more informal atmosphere, so it wasn't a big deal. I laughed and promised them I'd get it right next time!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:59 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Ive just put my peeve on the wrong link.. daft old fool... People who phone me , who know my name but I dont know theres and if I say Who are you, they get all stuttery and say a first name... then tell me something is wrong with my computer.. when there isnt... one company of chancers phoned last week asking if Id do a questionaire, so I had time and said yes...........
favourite colour
age group
marital status
BRAND OF TV...and age of tv....... alarm bells. so I said Samsung when its not
car make and how old is it...

next day I get a phone call from a man who says....erm Mrs R..... I see that your insurance warranty for your SAMSUNG tv is to run out soon..... hahahaha yep thats how they do it...... I hung up the phone laughing....

Old 02-18-2014, 11:14 AM

16,671 posts, read 17,437,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post

And then the people offer suggestions on how you could do it easier or better.
Oh yes!

It's a bit like a sports match- a few seemingly amateur players being watched by a few thousand self appointed professional critics.

Re PAhippo's comment- no, I'm afraid that we've had more rain already and more is in the forecast but at least the big storms of last week (there were three) are over.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:21 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
People who wait till youve bought a big household item then announce they had one they wanted rid of

Old 02-18-2014, 03:21 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,869,039 times

Hmm.. You're right Jezer, I was very nervous the very first time.. I drove a car with a manual transmission and my dad was watching.... Okay, get your minds out of the gutter everyone..

Old 02-18-2014, 04:00 PM

21,544 posts, read 8,727,966 times
I had mixed feelings about whether to respond to this peeve. Doing something for the first time with people watching was basically my job. TV news is not rehearsed. What you see on your screen is happening for the first and only time, and if you make a technical mistake, there are no do-overs. It's out there for everyone to see.

The anchors (news readers) see their scripts in advance and even write some of them; the graphics are ordered in advance and the camera shots are blocked out in advance, video effects can be pre-programmed, but sometimes the story order changes at the last moment if a video is not ready or there is breaking news. The show rarely goes exactly as planned, and you have to be ready for anything. It's like walking on a high wire with no net.

That said, like any other job, it becomes routine after a while, and you either learn how to deal with the stress or you get out of the business. I didn't think much about the tens or hundreds of thousands of viewers, I only cared about the director, producer and other technicians who were in the room with me and whom I would have to face later on if I made a horrendous blooper on the air. I suspect that when the viewers see those mistakes happen, they think it's funny. Trust me, it's not funny when you're the one who played a cuckoo clock sound effect instead of news theme music!

Old 02-18-2014, 04:01 PM

My first driving instructor made me very nervous indeed.

You felt he was just waiting for you to make a mistake.

Thank goodness I changed because I was wasting my time with him.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I had mixed feelings about whether to respond to this peeve. Doing something for the first time with people watching was basically my job. TV news is not rehearsed. What you see on your screen is happening for the first and only time, and if you make a technical mistake, there are no do-overs. It's out there for everyone to see.

The anchors (news readers) see their scripts in advance and even write some of them; the graphics are ordered in advance and the camera shots are blocked out in advance, video effects can be pre-programmed, but sometimes the story order changes at the last moment if a video is not ready or there is breaking news. The show rarely goes exactly as planned, and you have to be ready for anything. It's like walking on a high wire with no net.

That said, like any other job, it becomes routine after a while, and you either learn how to deal with the stress or you get out of the business. I didn't think much about the tens or hundreds of thousands of viewers, I only cared about the director, producer and other technicians who were in the room with me and whom I would have to face later on if I made a horrendous blooper on the air. I suspect that when the viewers see those mistakes happen, they think it's funny. Trust me, it's not funny when you're the one who played a cuckoo clock sound effect instead of news theme music!
Well I for one am glad that you did respond to the thread Shep.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:11 PM

21,544 posts, read 8,727,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
My first driving instructor made me very nervous indeed.

You felt he was just waiting for you to make a mistake.

Thank goodness I changed because I was wasting my time with him.
My first driving instructor was my father, and he was exactly like that. He was a nervous wreck, constantly criticizing me and calling out instructions in a strained voice, that it put me off driving. I had no confidence at all.

When I was 16 I applied for my driver's license but blew my first road test. The examiner asked me to demonstrate the "dimmer switch." I knew what it was and how to use it, but I didn't know what it was called, and I simply drew a blank. (It didn't help that the way he said the word, it sounded like "demmer" switch.) Then I froze when he asked me to make a left turn on a four-lane highway. The oncoming traffic wouldn't stop, the light turned yellow, and I didn't know what to do so I just sat there in the intersection. I failed. The embarrassment was so acute that I didn't have the courage to go back and get my license until I was 24.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics