Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 09:15 PM

44,383 posts, read 20,105,291 times

Advertisements

Hello, kids! Scroll on down for Today's Tip.

QUICK KITCHEN CLEANUP

In the March issue of Reader's Digest, I found a quick tip for keeping your kitchen clean while you're cooking. Place a large bowl on your counter, and toss scraps, eggshells, packaging and other bits of trash into the bowl as you work. This saves steps back and forth to the trash can. When you're finished cooking, simply empty the bowl into the trash can. You can keep things even neater by lining the bowl with a plastic bag first.

For many years, I have used another trick to save trips to the trash can when I'm doing lots of cooking. I just hang a plastic grocery bag on the handle of one of my cabinets and toss bits into it while I work. When I'm finished, I toss the bag into the trash can.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:19 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,918,176 times
In our kitchen we have two phone numbers posted on the refrigerator, one for take-out service and one that makes delivery. No bowls needed here!.... lol

Great tips however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 09:48 PM

12,114 posts, read 15,033,800 times
Awesome tip!!! I've done this for years. Way before Rachel Ray started with her Garbage bowl.

Thanks Pam!!

Old 02-19-2014, 09:54 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,926,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
Awesome tip!!! I've done this for years. Way before Rachel Ray started with her Garbage bowl.

Thanks Pam!!
I was gonna say straight from Rachel Ray... Great tip Pam. We have various ways of dealing with clean up. Thanks!

Old 02-19-2014, 09:57 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,323,625 times
I always run a dish pan of all hot water before I start cooking or baking.
That way as I am done using a measure cup or utensil I can toss it right into the dish water then when I am done preparing and the dish is baking or cooking I can get all those dishes washed, rinsed and air drying.
By the time the dish is done baking or cooking the clean dishes are dry and I can get them put away right before anything is served.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:09 PM

44,660 posts, read 61,729,772 times
Excellent tip Pam...

Old 02-19-2014, 10:24 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,357,343 times
Yes, Pam. This one is a real winner. Thank you.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:39 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,815,547 times
Great tip, PJ Saw this in RD, too, and thought the same as Satx... "straight from Rachel Ray".

I'm a bit more lazy about it and just take the top off the trash can and pull it up to the counter and drop all the peelings, etc., directly into it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I always run a dish pan of all hot water before I start cooking or baking.
Ah, right there with you, CSD610! I do the same... like to clean as I go, too! When I'm finished, the cooking is done and the kitchen is already clean except for the dishes we eat out of, can't stand the thought of facing a dirty kitchen after a meal!

Old 02-19-2014, 10:46 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,323,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BstYet2Be View Post
Great tip, PJ Saw this in RD, too, and thought the same as Satx... "straight from Rachel Ray".

I'm a bit more lazy about it and just take the top off the trash can and pull it up to the counter and drop all the peelings, etc., directly into it.

Ah, right there with you, CSD610! I do the same... like to clean as I go, too! When I'm finished, the cooking is done and the kitchen is already clean except for the dishes we eat out of, can't stand the thought of facing a dirty kitchen after a meal!

I actually take this a step further, I put out all ingredients in the order they go into the dish, especially baking. Then on the way to the sink to toss the utensil in the dishpan I take a couple steps further and put away the item I just used. That way when I am done baking or cooking I am absolutely done and everything is cleaned up and put away.
It doesn't hurt that I am very OCD.....

Old 02-20-2014, 12:49 AM

16,695 posts, read 17,466,448 times
Thanks Pam.

I often use the plastic bag tip when prepping food in one part of the kitchen.

In another part the inbuilt slide out bin is below the work surface so in goes the garbage.

I really like to clear up as I go along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics