Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 07:43 AM

44,348 posts, read 20,051,946 times

Advertisements

Greetings, kids! It's hard to believe this is the final week of August already.
Scroll on down for this week's not-so-cool Tip!

KEEP YOUR COFFEE HOT

For most of us, room-temperature coffee just tastes yucky. Blecch! Unfortunately, the moment you pour your hot coffee into a room-temperature cup or mug, the coolness of the ceramic immediately reduces the temperature of your coffee and soon it's too cool to enjoy.

But don't despair! There's hope for hot-beverage lovers. Here's an easy way to keep your coffee or tea or cocoa nice and hot for a much longer time. Simply preheat your mug by filling it with hot tap water a minute or two before you pour in the hot beverage. The ceramic vessel will absorb the heat. Pour out the water, pour in your beverage, and enjoy a nice cuppa joe that will stay hot and delicious.

If your tap water isn't very hot, fill the mug with water and nuke it in your microwave for a minute on high and then let the mug sit until your beverage is ready.

Enjoy!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:48 AM

30,506 posts, read 16,206,257 times
great tip!

My father used to put glasses in the freezer, then fill with a cold drink. It'd help keep it cold. And, now that I think of it, kept us from drinking too fast as we couldn't hold the glass too long-our hand would freeze!

I never thought of doing the opposite for hot drinks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 08:18 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,874,311 times
I just microwave the coffee to warm it up should it get cold in the cup........

Old 08-25-2014, 10:19 AM

24,454 posts, read 25,987,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I just microwave the coffee to warm it up should it get cold in the cup........
Me too, I'm lazy.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:30 AM

126,267 posts, read 19,036,909 times
Great tip Pam,I always pour boiled water in my mug or coffee jug before I brew my coffee. Now using a microwave is a whole different story..never owned a microwave and recently when I had to warm something up at my in-laws place I had no clue how to open that darn thing and I had to ask my 82 year old uncle in law and all he did press a button and it opened up

Old 08-25-2014, 10:32 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,810,449 times
Nice Tip Pam! I've been doing this quite some time now. After adding creamer it really brings the temp down. I still M/W last half a cup.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:43 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,799,357 times
Great tip, PJ! I've always heard to do this for thermos bottles to keep coffee, hot cocoa & soups, etc., hotter longer, but first I've heard of doing the same for your coffee mug, but makes perfect sense!

Like many others have stated, I've been using my microwave to heat it up as needed... especially since I immediately turn off my coffee pot as soon as its finished brewing so the coffee will keep that fresh-brewed taste instead of that stale, old coffee burnt taste & smell when the pot is left on.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:04 PM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
I like coffee hot or cold, as long as I get my coffee.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:07 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,512,977 times
Good tip Pam... I like my coffee also..

Old 08-25-2014, 07:09 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,051,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
I like coffee hot or cold, as long as I get my coffee.
I love coffee very hot or icy cold, but not lukewarm. I even have a little electric mug warmer on my desk at work, to keep my coffee hot if I have a long interruption and can't get back to it for awhile. I enjoy tea at any temperature, though.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics