Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2014, 08:15 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,673,089 times

Advertisements

Well the Holidays are almost here. Just wondering what your thought are about gift giving.

I put alot of thought in the gift I give to each person, make sure it's something they would like, I may not always get it exactly right but I'm pretty close.

Gifts for my Family and Close Friends there's alot of time and thought in the gifts.

The gifts for acquaintances are usually a beautiful plant, box of cookies, box of gift soap - The gift soap - usually find a scent that isn't strong (olive oil, shea butter, lemon) stay away from the florals.

I've receive beautiful gifts over the years and I'm always thankful especially when I receive a lovely card with a nice note. It shows time, thought and care, however, there has also been the gifts I've rec'd have been a re-gifted item or just really don't fit my taste at all. Ok that can happen.

I would rather someone just send a beautiful card they have chosen for me with a nice note.

I've donated gifts that I've rec'd including a child's pair of pj (this was for me, I've worn adult for quite some time) something music related (a group I can't stand) It's always nice when a gift is given with a gift receipt so can exchange, if need to.

One year I rec'd from my (now ex sister-in-law) a picture, face shot - 5 x 7 of herself - shocking ! I thought it was a joke gift, it wasn't ! She was sitting there sitting smiling so full of herself. I didn't know what to say ? I said beautiful frame Now I look back on this conceited, narcissistic behavior - I wish I handed her a gift bag with a paid visit to a therapist !

Another time an acquaintance/friend called wanted to stop by on her way back from being with her family for the Holiday. She walked in with a bag with a bunch of stuff and said, Here you go this is for you ! I said, what is this a bunch of stuff you don't want (she is kinda a neat freak so it would be her personality not bring things home she doesn't want) As I'm taking things out of the bag I can see little bits of tape with bits of Christmas paper all over stuff. I don't want either ! I thought this was really tacky ! It was so obvious what she was doing ! If she was just honest about it and handed me the bag saying, do you want any of these things I just rec'd as gifts but don't want. I would have said, No Thank You.

But to hand a bag of stuff and trying to pass it off as gifts she picked out for me ? I was embarrassed for her. I called her a few days later and said, I can't really use any of these things your family gave you, do you want them back. She still wouldn't own up to (wouldn't even say this was re-gifting, more like shuffling stuff off) she can be a bit of a scatterbrain, always asking for a favor so I've kinda kept her at a distance. Her tone was a lot more quiet as she still said, that was stuff for you. I said, would have been better if you were just honest about it and just said this was stuff you just got as gifts and didn't want. She realized it wasn't even a close call trying to regift (shluff) with bits of old tape & wrapping paper. Really tacky.

What are you thoughts about gift giving ? Gifts you've received ?

When is it the thought that counts and when is this re gifting something that really isn't right for a person or really something that should be donated and not regifted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 08:18 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
We only gift our Grand Children and it is a few items, non technology related, practical, useful and educational.
The rest of what they get is from their other Grand Parents and their Parents.

We do not gift each other either, we have all we need daily and do not limit ourselves to one time a year for something special. We prefer to pool our money with other family members and make sure someone else and their children have what they need to get them through December and January.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:53 AM

126,283 posts, read 19,057,756 times
When the children were small we did give them gifts in form of toys,books,a sled or lessons for skiing,skating or continued Martial Art classes as they grew older. Ourselves we rarely gave something,maybe a book or music. Now the family has grown,they all buy what they want themselves so it is getting harder what to give them. We all decided instead of a gift we donate to our favorite charity and volunteer a special holiday night serving holiday food to the less fortunate. I do bake a lot around Christmas time and give as gifts to friends,neighbors and overseas my traditional cookies,Lebkuchen and Stollen.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:21 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,081,130 times
I'm so over giving gifts. How, exactly, are you supposed to find just the 'right' thing for someone you hardly see during the year - and this includes family who live far away? How do you know what they have/want based on minimal contact? This is why we have mall kiosks selling tins of cheese and cookies - so you can give a gift to someone whom you just don't know enough about. Is that supposed to be flattering? I think not.

Old 11-19-2014, 01:15 PM

16,905 posts, read 16,133,395 times
Here at home, we have no gifts, no dinner, no family. Do you know how lucky you are?
We haven't had a card or gift or anything in all the years that we can remember. Your post shines of greed.
Are you having dinner on Thanksgiving?
Lucky you.

Old 11-19-2014, 01:46 PM

22,859 posts, read 6,440,379 times
My treasured gifts are pictures of our grandchildren who do not live closeby...I remember when my kids were
young and my mother didn't want presents, just pictures...at the time I thought that wasn't much of a gift, now
I see it differently...For our gifts I send checks, everyone gets exactly what they want...no errors in what to buy
or duplicates of something someone else already got for them. Our kids and grandkids are the only ones we
give to these days.

Old 11-19-2014, 01:59 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,305,026 times
I always put in the effort to give something that I'm sure the person would like. The only people I buy Christmas gifts for anymore besides my husband is a brother and a friend. With the friend we buy souvenirs from our travels and make those the Christmas gifts. With my brother it is tough because he has no interests and he has a lot of clothes. I can always fall back on books because he likes to read.

I don't think photos as gifts are a bad idea but I prefer pictures tucked inside cards. And, by the way, I'm one of that dying breed who still likes to mail out Christmas cards. I fill them with confetti, and sometimes a photo, and it brings them a festive feeling of cheer (in spite of the confetti mess).

I rarely re-gift. Most things I keep, whether I use them or not. But on occasion I've received things that went to Goodwill. I simply can't make myself pass on a gift to someone else.

Don't exchange gifts at the office anymore and am glad.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:04 PM

126,283 posts, read 19,057,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I always put in the effort to give something that I'm sure the person would like. The only people I buy Christmas gifts for anymore besides my husband is a brother and a friend. With the friend we buy souvenirs from our travels and make those the Christmas gifts. With my brother it is tough because he has no interests and he has a lot of clothes. I can always fall back on books because he likes to read.

I don't think photos as gifts are a bad idea but I prefer pictures tucked inside cards. And, by the way, I'm one of that dying breed who still likes to mail out Christmas cards. I fill them with confetti, and sometimes a photo, and it brings them a festive feeling of cheer (in spite of the confetti mess).

I rarely re-gift. Most things I keep, whether I use them or not. But on occasion I've received things that went to Goodwill. I simply can't make myself pass on a gift to someone else.

Don't exchange gifts at the office anymore and am glad.
And, by the way, I'm one of that dying breed who still likes to mail out Christmas cards. .....I am the same way...nothing like it than holding a letter in your hand

Old 11-20-2014, 09:36 AM

715 posts, read 1,234,457 times
I think the thought definitely counts. Last year, my FH and I moved into our new house and I didn't have much in the way of gifts to give.

I love to bake and I decided to bake cookies last year. I made recipes my mom used to make, as well as some old standbys. The response I got from the cookies was absolutely above and beyond any response I got from giving a regular gift. I plan to keep giving cookies (and other treats) for holiday gift giving.

Old 11-20-2014, 03:32 PM

32,944 posts, read 36,378,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Here at home, we have no gifts, no dinner, no family. Do you know how lucky you are?
We haven't had a card or gift or anything in all the years that we can remember. Your post shines of greed.
Are you having dinner on Thanksgiving?
Lucky you.
Well, I'm going to eat something on Thanksgiving. My son lives in the area and he will be here. We're going to cook together! He's a terrific cook. All of those lessons in the kitchen paid off. He wants steak, so steak it is.

I have a few relatives, but they all live hundreds or thousands of miles away. Once in a while my sister and I will send a card or gift. I can't complain because I don't usually send cards or gifts. The charitable organization to which I contribute sent me a packet of Christmas cards. Maybe I send them this year.

You want cards? I'll send you a card. Rent a PO box and post the address here. You'll have an avalanche of cards. One catch, if I send a card, you have to send one to me.

The worst Christmas gift I've ever gotten was a set of four coffee mugs with a wooden stand, holder, whatever. I was in high school and lived with my parents. It was such a blatant re-gifting that I felt embarrassed for that person. OK, it was my brother, LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics