Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 07:29 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,580,284 times

Advertisements

I was talking to a woman on the phone about joining the gym, and it got me thinking, why am I so scared (to extent of butterflies in my stomach!) about calling a stranger on the phone, but not scarred at all about physically seeing and talking to a stranger. I don't really understand why I'm like this? one would think it would be the other way round, as talking to a stranger on the phone is less likely to punch you or whatever? But being a social person, I'd rather see what the persons body language is and stuff when asking questions...

Am I the only person that's like this, or is there anyone else here who would rather see a stranger physically when talking about something regarding joining the gym or talking about bank problems, than talking to the stranger through the phone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 07:49 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,822,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182 View Post
I was talking to a woman on the phone about joining the gym, and it got me thinking, why am I so scared (to extent of butterflies in my stomach!) about calling a stranger on the phone, but not scarred at all about physically seeing and talking to a stranger. I don't really understand why I'm like this? one would think it would be the other way round, as talking to a stranger on the phone is less likely to punch you or whatever? But being a social person, I'd rather see what the persons body language is and stuff when asking questions...

Am I the only person that's like this, or is there anyone else here who would rather see a stranger physically when talking about something regarding joining the gym or talking about bank problems, than talking to the stranger through the phone?
I am the same way...I am better getting things across in person than on the phone... Sometimes I DREAD making a phone call...you're not alone!!!

Old 11-23-2014, 08:06 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,580,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linda814 View Post
I am the same way...I am better getting things across in person than on the phone... Sometimes I DREAD making a phone call...you're not alone!!!
Nice to know, I'm not the only one!

Old 11-24-2014, 07:57 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,448,329 times
I think you don't realize how important visual communication and seeing body language in real time is until it's gone. This is why phone conversations are akward for me...it's almost more like talking to a machine than a person.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:16 PM

21,532 posts, read 8,716,437 times
I'm the same way. In order to make a telephone call, I have to talk myself into it first and build up my self-confidence. Sometimes I pretend that I'm an actress playing the role of an extrovert. Once the conversation gets going, I relax a little, but I never have felt really comfortable in telephone conversations. I seldom place a call unless it's truly necessary, and I've never called anyone just to say hello and chat.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:16 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,584,987 times
I have no problem using the telephone. Matter of fact I can say or get away with many things that I wouldn't necessarily do in person.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:12 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,244,561 times
I have the same problem, to the extent that I can't even phone to make a doctor appointment or things like that so I try and deal with things face to face as much as possible even if it means hours wasted waiting in an office and if I can't do it face to face I ask my OH to call for me (though he won't always do it so sometimes I have to myself and takes a lot of working up to do it).

Strangely its not so bad if someone calls me and I answer the phone, still difficult but they are leading the conversation then so its a bit easier.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:36 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,872,345 times
I don’t care to talk on the phone at all and worse when it’s a stranger. I don’t’ like to make small talk with others who are not interested in what I’m in, so it becomes very difficult to continue any dialog.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:00 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,510,696 times
Either or works for me... After working for Government for over 20 years... you get to know how to tune in or tune off...or have the blank deer in the head light stare... Now you know why the MIB where sun glasses..

Old 11-26-2014, 02:20 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,121,351 times
Sometimes I feel awkward when I'm sitting next to a stranger in an unfamiliar place and I have to talk with him and I have no idea what we can talk about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics