Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 10:40 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,486,725 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone and welcome to Questions of the Day for Tuesday, January 27th 2015. Nothing to report this week, and it’s getting very stormy here, so best I get these questions posted before the lightning starts!

Today’s question:

What’s the longest car journey you’ve ever undertaken? Tell us a little about it (where were you going, who were you with, did anything exciting, interesting or unusual happen, etc.)

Extra credit question:

When was the last time you…

Spent the day in bed?

Went to the gym?

Shovelled snow?

Walked along a beach?

Visited a zoo?

Bonus question:

Today we’re all going to volunteer for the day at the local middle school. Which of these tasks best suit your skills and talents:

Working in the canteen

Coaching a sports team of your choice (which sport?)

Helping with remedial reading

Playground supervisor

Helping the nurse in the sick bay

Helping in the science lab

Driving the school bus

Other:

Just for fun:

Today is Thomas Crapper Day! Without giving away the answer, do you know what Thomas Crapper invented?

Thought for the day:

When your dreams turn to dust, vacuum. (Author Unknown)

Today is:

Vietnam Peace Day
International Holocaust Remembrance Day
National Chocolate Cake Day
Thomas Crapper Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 10:43 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,014,069 times
Chatteress is Numero Uno! .... Don'tcha forget that SATX

Today’s question
:

What’s the longest car journey you’ve ever undertaken? Tell us a little about it (where were you going, who were you with, did anything exciting, interesting or unusual happen, etc.):

Probably the 6-7 hours to get from Las Vegas to La La Land

Extra credit question:

Spent the day in bed? Don't recall ... Maybe in 1998 when I had a major earache ...

Went to the gym? I plead the fifth

Shovelled snow? What's "snow"?

Walked along a beach? September 2013 when some out of town family wanted to visit Santa Monica beach

Visited a zoo? Thursday ... San Diego Zoo

Bonus question:

Today we’re all going to volunteer for the day at the local middle school. Which of these tasks best suit your skills and talents:

Working in the canteen ... Maybe ....

Playground supervisor

Driving the school bus

Other:

Just for fun:

Today is Thomas Crapper Day! Without giving away the answer, do you know what Thomas Crapper invented? The toilet to crap in?

Old 01-26-2015, 10:47 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,367,511 times
Good morning everyone and welcome to Questions of the Day for Tuesday, January 27th 2015.
Today’s question:
What’s the longest car journey you’ve ever undertaken?
Tell us a little about it (where were you going, who were you with, did anything exciting, interesting or unusual happen, etc.)

Cannot cope with travel anymore.
A few times during my childhood, my mother would drive us to go visit her parents, which was a 7+ hr. drive (each way).
Can't recall much about those times, though.
^But those were the longest car trips I've been on.

My memorably lengthy vehicular adventure was the cross-country bus trip (5 days each way !) I took 20+ yrs. back.

Got to see all sorts of places/states I'd never been to before nor since.
Mental snapshots:

Saw interior of beautiful train station (the bus stopped there) in Utica, NY-granite/marble pillars & arches.
Saw frightening dystopic skyline (flames & smokestacks) just before sunrise in Gary, IN.
Saw an eerie featureless expanse outside Dickenson, ND-the fog was so thick and land so flat that there was just nothing, no there there.
Hung out in a very nice bus station in Portland, OR. There were real live plants & wood benches inside.

Saw a double rainbow for first time, outside Flagstaff, AZ.
Met a friendly clerk at ticket counter in Oklahoma City, OK. and we spent an hour just talking-nothing unwholesome transpired.
Slept in Wash. D.C. bus station along with several other similarly-stranded travelers, while waiting for more buses to come pick us up much much later (we complained & were later mailed vouchers for discount on a future trip).

Extra credit question:
Spent the day in bed? Today, yesterday, tomorrow-most days.
Went to the gym? In college, or maybe high school ?
Shovelled snow? Few weeks ago or so.
Walked along a beach? Cannot recall, decades ?
Visited a zoo? Childhood, 30 yrs. or more ago. Such places make me too sad, can't handle it.

Bonus question:
^N/A, I'm allergic to people under the age of 18.

Just for fun:
Today is Thomas Crapper Day! Without giving away the answer, do you know what Thomas Crapper invented?
I'm not taking the bait on this one, it seems an invitation to punnery.

Thanks for the Qs, Kobber.
Curious to see how much snow the big storm (here) brings...

Last edited by cloven; 01-26-2015 at 11:12 PM..

Old 01-26-2015, 11:01 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,805,930 times
Good morning everyone and welcome to Questions of the Day for Tuesday, January 27th 2015. Nothing to report this week, and it’s getting very stormy here, so best I get these questions posted before the lightning starts!

Today’s question:

What’s the longest car journey you’ve ever undertaken? Tell us a little about it (where were you going, who were you with, did anything exciting, interesting or unusual happen, etc.)
Vacations to California.

Extra credit question:

Spent the day in bed?

Went to the gym?

Shovelled snow?

Walked along a beach?
Few months!
Visited a zoo?
Months maybe a year..

Bonus question:

Working in the canteen

Playground supervisor

Driving the school bus
Ha!
Other:

Just for fun:

Thought for the day:

Today is:

Vietnam Peace Day
Thomas Crapper Day
Thanks Kobber!

Old 01-26-2015, 11:22 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,294,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post

Today’s question:

What’s the longest car journey you’ve ever undertaken? Tell us a little about it (where were you going, who were you with, did anything exciting, interesting or unusual happen, etc.) With my husband, from Texas to Oregon when we moved. It was not a memorable trip. About the only thing I remember is being 7-1/2 months pregnant, standing outside a convenience store, and barely missed getting mugged.

Extra credit question:

Spent the day in bed? When I was sick, about 4 years ago.

Went to the gym? Early-2000's, and that was for the tanning bed. I've never joined a gym.

Shovelled snow? NOT a job I will do.

Walked along a beach? In late-August.

Visited a zoo? In 2006.

Bonus question:

Working in the canteen

Playground supervisor

Driving the school bus

Other: NONE!

Just for fun:

Today is Thomas Crapper Day! Without giving away the answer, do you know what Thomas Crapper invented? A place that I had to visit several times today.

Thanks, Kobber. Have a great day, everyone!

Old 01-26-2015, 11:29 PM

44,621 posts, read 61,584,987 times
Today’s question:

What’s the longest car journey you’ve ever undertaken? Tell us a little about it (where were you going, who were you with, did anything exciting, interesting or unusual happen, etc.) Went from Phoenix AZ to the Orlando Florida area and to Walt Disney World at Kissimmee and to JFK Space center, then down to Tampa FL to Busch Gardens then back to Phoenix AZ. Spent about 3 weeks vacation time with the kids. We drove approximately 4500 miles that trip.

Extra credit question:

Spent the day in bed? Few weeks ago.

Went to the gym? Never been since school days, eleventy million years ago.

Shoveled snow? Ha ha, never, we live in the desert.

Walked along a beach? A few years ago at Bondi beach in Australia.

Visited a zoo? A few years ago the Taronga Zoo in Sidney Australia.

Bonus question:

Working in the canteen

Coaching a sports team of your choice (which sport?) This, any of them.

Playground supervisor

Driving the school bus

Other:

Just for fun:

Spoiler
The magnificent toilet, or loo as it is known in some neighborhoods.

Kobber

Old 01-26-2015, 11:42 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,798,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post

Today’s question:

Several vacations

Extra credit question:

Spent the day in bed? Never, I at least make it to the couch for the day!

Went to the gym? It's been a few years since I went to watch volleyball/basketball games!

Shovelled snow? Never

Walked along a beach? A week or so ago, my favorite!

Visited a zoo? A few years

Bonus question:

Working in the canteen

Playground supervisor

Driving the school bus

Other: Hall monitor

Just for fun:

Today is Thomas Crapper Day! Without giving away the answer, do you know what Thomas Crapper invented? Not what you would think. I would be changing my name first thing though, can you imagine being called Mr. or Mrs. Crapper or the little Crappers ?!?

Thought for the day:

Today is:

Vietnam Peace Day
Thomas Crapper Day
Thanks Kobber for Tuesday's QotD!

And to All, have a...

Old 01-26-2015, 11:54 PM

38,869 posts, read 22,854,503 times
Today’s question:

What’s the longest car journey you’ve ever undertaken? Tell us a little about it (where were you going, who were you with, did anything exciting, interesting or unusual happen, etc.) From Southern California to Sacramento, which is about 400 miles one way or 7-8 hours. I lived up in Sacramento in the early 90s and the last time I drove from there was when I moved back here. On moving day, my mom and sister flew up there and helped me get packed. I rented a U-Haul truck to transport my furniture and large boxes of stuff. My mom and sister drove my car and I followed them in the U-Haul. It was around 7:00 PM or so when we left and we didn't get here until around 3:30-4:00 AM! But we made it without any major incidents, thank goodness.

Extra credit question:

Spent the day in bed? Last time I was really ill, maybe 10 years ago.

Went to the gym? Not since college.

Shovelled snow? We don't get snow here, so never.

Walked along a beach? Back in the late 90s with some friends when we had a beach party.

Visited a zoo? San Diego zoo back in the early 90s (1992 or 1993).

Bonus question:

Working in the canteen

Helping with remedial reading <--Maybe this one.

Playground supervisor

Driving the school bus

Other:

Just for fun:

Today is Thomas Crapper Day! Without giving away the answer, do you know what Thomas Crapper invented? Yes, but it's not what most people think.

Have a terrific Tuesday!

Old 01-27-2015, 12:54 AM

21,533 posts, read 8,718,127 times
Today’s question:

Mr. Bay and I have traveled from the San Francisco Bay Area to British Columbia, the westernmost province of Canada. It was a vacation trip and also a family visit as my mother-in-law lived in Portland. We really enjoyed the ferry ride from Washington State to Vancouver Island. In Victoria we stayed at the stately old Empress Hotel and had an old-fashioned British tea in their lobby. The Provincial Museum was fascinating, and the magnificent Butchart Gardens outside Victoria are a wonderful way to spend a day. We also braved a walk across the Capilano Suspension Bridge in a forested park near Vancouver. It's narrow, and it sways as you walk a hundred feet above the ground - rather scary, but what a view. I love Canada and its people and hope to return some day.

Extra credit question:

Spent the day in bed?
When I had a bad case of the flu about five years ago.
Went to the gym?
Last night.
Shovelled snow?
Three years ago for the first and only time.
Walked along a beach?
I can't remember. It's been a few years.
Visited a zoo?
Eight years ago.

Bonus question:

Working in the canteen <---- I could do this, but . . .

Playground supervisor

Driving the school bus

Other: <---- . . . I'd prefer to help out in the library.

Just for fun:

Spoiler
Yes. He invented some plumbing mechanisms such as the ballcock that helped popularize the indoor flush toilet, which he did not invent.

Thanks, Kobber, and please stay safe out there!

Old 01-27-2015, 01:31 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,598,575 times
I kind of feel as though I've been on an extended car trip my whole life long. Let's see: Every year my family would drive from Indiana to the southern tip of Louisiana, driving the Natchez Trace part of the way. Hmmm - with fellow college students we drove from Paris through France, Northern Italy, the area that was then Yugoslavia, to the southern tip of Greece, car ferry to Italy, up through Switzerland back through France. I once drove from LA to Salt Lake City via Sacramento then over the Rockies (are those the Rockies there?) in a blinding snowstorm with 5 screaming cats inside a Dodge Colt. Also once drove a U-Haul from Lawrence, KS to Cooperstown, NY. Bunches of other car trips which have all blurred together. Like some others, I've taken bunches of bus and train trips throughout most of the U.S.
Extra credit question:

Spent the day in bed? I can't spend an entire day in bed, but a couple of weeks ago I had a cold and spent probably 16 hours in bed.

Went to the gym? I quit going to the gym at the end of last June

Shovelled snow? Yesterday, although ours is melting while you Easterners are getting our snow.

Walked along a beach? Does a river bank count? Then, every day. A sandy beach? Probably a couple of years ago, along Lake Superior near Grand Marais. The ocean? Not since 1991.

Visited a zoo? Zoos depress me. Hmmm, I guess the zoo in Tulsa in the late 90s???

Bonus question:

Just for fun:

Today is Thomas Crapper Day! Without giving away the answer, do you know what Thomas Crapper invented? Y I do, but as with most inventions, other people are said to have invented various versions of the thing.

Thank you for the questions!

PS - I can't rep Bay today but the Provincial Museum in Victoria is one of the very best in the world - go if you ever get a chance!

Last edited by 601halfdozen0theother; 01-27-2015 at 01:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics